Player Discussion Marner

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think he and Tavares will end up signing during the season. The team will likely be near the top of the league, so most fans will love seeing these guys resigned. Whether signing one or both is a good thing for the team may be a different story, but this franchise doesn't work that way. It's brand before all.
You are probably right but I think it’s a big mistake. If this team fizzles out in the playoffs again major changes will need to be made and if all the core group that hasn’t been able to get it done is locked up we will have to wait until the next tank and rebuild

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You are probably right but I think it’s a big mistake. If this team fizzles out in the playoffs again major changes will need to be made and if all the core group that hasn’t been able to get it done is locked up we will have to wait until the next tank and rebuild

I think ultimately the team would end up forcing a trade if that happens. I know they alll have NMC’s but I do think they’d make a move. But I agree I think you should wait till after playoffs. Even for Marner, if shit goes sideways at least you have UFA and you can dip. After playoffs kind of makes sense for everyone the more I think about it

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

The Toronto Maple Leafs may already have a plan for how they'll spend their cap space if Mitch Marner ends up walking as a UFA next summer.​

The Toronto Star's Nick Kypreos took to his platform to discuss Maple Leafs winger Mitch Marner and where things currently stand between the player and the team. The expiring contract hangs over his head like a dark cloud and after a solid start to the season, Marner is reminding us all of the intangibles he brings to the table.

However, it's not a secret that the Maple Leafs thought about trading the winger this summer, providing he was willing waive his no-movement clause. The rumours were rampant, trade talks seemed to be happening, and both sides were more than willing to find greener pastures if the situation made sense. Eventually, the Leafs weren't able to find a suitor willing to cough up what they were looking for and Marner remained a Maple Leaf.

It's interesting that both Leafs and Marner were ready for a change of scenery, but no one was willing to send 1st our way for Mitch Marner. Not shocking, but interesting.

Kind of proves how little value there is in Marner on his current contract. I bet we would be able to offload Nylander or Matthews in a heartbeat.

We should try another sales pitch now, he is a machine (collects assists)!!!

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Not resigning Marner and signing Marchand or Bennett instead would be silly. Those two guys are complementary pieces at this point.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's interesting that both Leafs and Marner were ready for a change of scenery, but no one was willing to send 1st our way for Mitch Marner. Not shocking, but interesting.

Kind of proves how little value there is in Marner on his current contract. I bet we would be able to offload Nylander or Matthews in a heartbeat.

Where does it say he was shopped?

Also, the hope is either Ratanen who likely won't hit free agency, Marchand who will be 37 at the start of next year, or Bennett who may walk but also produces way worse than Marner in the playoffs... makes sense, logical, and very educated that Kypreos is.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Where does it say he was shopped?

Also, the hope is either Ratanen who likely won't hit free agency, Marchand who will be 37 at the start of next year, or Bennett who may walk but also produces way worse than Marner in the playoffs... makes sense, logical, and very educated that Kypreos is.
How sure are you about Rantanen? I remember reading just the other day that contract talks aren't going well and that the Avs don't want to pay him anywhere near what Mackinnon is getting. I also think the Leafs would definitely be willing to pay something not too far off from that number.

Would be pretty gross if the Leafs signed Marner only to find out that they could have had Ranta instead.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How sure are you about Rantanen? I remember reading just the other day that contract talks aren't going well and that the Avs don't want to pay him anywhere near what Mackinnon is getting. I also think the Leafs would definitely be willing to pay something not too far off from that number.

Would be pretty gross if the Leafs signed Marner only to find out that they could have had Ranta instead.

Swayman and the Bruins were far apart weeks ago too.

I don't care if the media says they are far apart, it means very little.

They also need him to want to come here and outbid every other team for his services.

I think the most likely scenario is he re-signs in Colorado, the next most likely scenario is he signs somewhere else, and then the least likely scenario is he signs here.

It would be gross if the Leafs didn't sign or trade for anyone in hopes that Ratanen became available and then he signed somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

That’s not even what happened. At least get your facts straight. Marner’s camp was asked by Jonas Siegel if they would be open to a trade after the Florida series. Marner’s camp said Marner would consider a move if asked. I believe Dubas was on the trade Marner train. But ultimately he was never asked.

I can’t recall the year but the organization decided to try and move Nylander before resigning him. They didn’t like the deals they were offered. The organization has never proactively tried to trade Marner and maybe that’s part of the issue at the end of the day.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That’s not even what happened. At least get your facts straight. Marner’s camp was asked by Jonas Siegel if they would be open to a trade after the Florida series. Marner’s camp said Marner would consider a move if asked. I believe Dubas was on the trade Marner train.

I can’t recall the year but the organization decided to try and move Nylander before resigning him. They didn’t like the deals they were offered. The organization has never proactively tried to trade Marner and maybe that’s part of the issue at the end of the day.
:laugh: The stuff these guys come up with.
You could fill a book with all the whacky fantasies that's been conjured up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad