Player Discussion Marner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You can say the same exact thing about Matthews and Nylander too

Nylander had 1 great series last 2 ( vs Boston) and not be good enough on 2 of last 3

marner had been great on one series( vs tampa) and not good enough on 2 of last 3...

Same with Matthews and know the Matthews line was not good at all vs Boston. They helped to win gm 2 but probably the line who hurt the leafs negatively the most. They cost 6 of 12 goal allowed because of their game and all those penalties they took because they had been outplayed by marchand line most of the time

Simple if Toronto was more succes in playoff EVERYONE need to raise their game.
Marner's not the only playoff disappointment, he's easily the biggest one though.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Turnovers, giveaways, being a softie on the puck.
he goes through periods that it looks like he can't play hockey.

He's not affordable.

The only reason to keep him is to run back the same shit and not care about winning.

Which will be a bad look on Rogers.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Depend of how you want to see it...i don't have the same point of view than you on this one but that's fine
Of course that's fine. I would only add that I also disagree strongly with your assertion that "Nylander had 1 great series last 2 ( vs Boston) and not be good enough on 2 of last 3".

The team as a whole has been a playoff disappointment. Marner and JT have been the biggest disappointments, Nylander on the whole has been pretty darn good, especially when you consider how much less his cap hit's been compared to the other "stars".

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Of course that's fine. I would only add that I also disagree strongly with your assertion that "Nylander had 1 great series last 2 ( vs Boston) and not be good enough on 2 of last 3".

The team as a whole has been a playoff disappointment. Marner and JT have been the biggest disappointments, Nylander on the whole has been pretty darn good, especially when you consider how much less his cap hit's been compared to the other "stars".

He had been awful vs tampa and easily the worst of core

and vs Florida, no body really looked good except Woll

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I know he has become now the new whipping boy for some of you
By the end of the year he'll prove again why he's the most complete player in this team

Even when he's not putting up points, he can contribute other ways. He has become one of our best PK

Year in year out he's been consistently hitting 90 points when he played more than 70 games
While other stars in our team fluctuate, his numbers remain consistent

But hey, lets jump on him for one bad playoffs... But the fact the has the most points in single playsoffs year 14 points we are not going to talk about

He makes the most mistakes because he also plays in the most critical situations out of all the top 3.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner should be put on a system to earn his next contract based entirely on the merits of his performance and statistical contribution.

For every goal he scores +$100k and for every assist earned +$75k

ie. A 100 point regular season based on 30 goals @ $100k & 75 assists @ $75k = $8,625,000 AAV

Kucherov the best RW in the game put up 81 games 44 goals 100 assists 144 points and makes $9.5 mil AAV , So based on the same reward scale as Marner above his actual contract would be $11,900,000. [Adjusted down for Tax Free State].
Interesting idea. The numbers may be a bit low, but based on last year:

Matthews gets $9.75M
Nylander gets $8.35M
Marner gets $7.03M
Tavares gets $5.6M

Not bad. If you give Marner credit for his imaginary points he comes out just under Willy.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
By the end of the year he'll prove again why he's the most complete player in this team

Even when he's not putting up points, he can contribute other ways. He has become one of our best PK

Year in year out he's been consistently hitting 90 points when he played more than 70 games

But hey, lets jump on him for one bad playoffs... But the fact the has the most points in single playsoffs year 14 points we are not going to talk about

He makes the most mistakes because he also plays in the most critical situations out of all the top 3.
Perhaps it's more a matter of more people seeing that he isn't "the most complete player in this team".

He certainly hasn't proven it yet, so I'm not sure about the "again" part.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
Mitch needs some folks in his corner that will keep it real with him, that's all. And the whole core needs to watch Rocky and exclusively listen to "Eye of the Tiger" on repeat.

LMAO.... kinda tho, right?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
DId we know that marner outscores Kucherov in the playoffs per 60 last 4 years?
Minimum 25 games played.

I was suprised how low Kucherov is.

Tampa:

1728746262167.png

Leafs:
1728746323874.png

stats1

Jul 22, 2022

So he makes the most mistakes because he plays on the PP and PK??? That doesn’t make any sense. He makes mistakes because he tries to be too cute in the neutral zone or in the D-zone. Also like Nylander told him in the playoffs “shoot the puck!!” This guy just needs to make the simple play instead of trying to make moves like he’s playing NHL 25. When he starts dancing around with the puck snd twisting and turning with it instead of just getting the puck to the net is when he starts turning it over. Same thing in the neutral zone, he tries to deke around 3-4 guys when all he has to do is dump it in.

It also wouldn’t hurt if he hit somebody once in a while or blocked a shot.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
DId we know that marner outscores Kucherov in the playoffs per 60 last 4 years?
Minimum 25 games played.

I was suprised how low Kucherov is.

Tampa:

View attachment 915563

Leafs:
View attachment 915564

These graphs should tell you how misleading stats are.
Kuch's numbers are absolute bonkers.....

Not only that, Kuch even when he's not scoring is such a threat with or without the puck. None of our core players are any threat when they are not scoring

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting idea. The numbers may be a bit low, but based on last year:

Matthews gets $9.75M
Nylander gets $8.35M
Marner gets $7.03M
Tavares gets $5.6M

Not bad. If you give Marner credit for his imaginary points he comes out just under Willy.
That gives one a relative value of what each player was worth based on actual performance, and a relative value of how much OVER-PAYMENT based on what Leafs actually pay them based on the difference between actual contract and earned contract statistically. :wg:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
These graphs should tell you how misleading stats are.
Kuch's numbers are absolute bonkers.....

Not only that, Kuch even when he's not scoring is such a threat with or without the puck. None of our core players are any threat when they are not scoring

I just posted them.
I'm making no judgement about the better players, just goals per 60.

Not debating anything, just posting the stats.

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I just posted them.
I'm making no judgement about the better players, just goals per 60.

Not debating anything, just posting the stats.

I hear you. I am not picking on you. Just stating my opinion as well
These charts are exactly what agents use to counter their arguments

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Exactly. And the only reason the stats don't show that is because Matthews is literally the worst defensive player in NHL history.

Sarcasm?

He was just nominated for Selke. It's funny how no one cares about Selke's nomination unless it's Mitch Cries a lot Marner.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Matthews is better away from Marner apparently. The special teams was the failure of the coaching staff.

No excuses though.

Nylander was good

He was lazy vs tampa

Vs florida even if he was playing half of time against florida bottom 6,

Nylander/Jt line vs florida 3rd... a matchup who should be 100% leafs advantage... what did he really do to take advantage of this matchup? Get a lucky bounce in front of the net or taking a peripheric low angle shot?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

One bad playoff? Look again. He has had 2 decent playoffs and 1 series against Tampa. They all haven’t been great, but he is the worst of the 3.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I hear you. I am not picking on you. Just stating my opinion as well
These charts are exactly what agents use to counter their arguments
Better not let Willy's agent see those. :sarcasm:

Sarcasm?

He was just nominated for Selke. It's funny how no one cares about Selke's nomination unless it's Mitch Cries a lot Marner.
As was the post I responded to.

(I hope it was sarcasm.)

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Point to the plays that Marner makes in the postseason with gifs, youtube or whatever that shows domination. If you watch the tampa series, Marner gets really really lucky with his soft shots from the outside.

It's really easy for Willy to point out many plays that he takes over. Like that almost comeback against Florida in game 5.

Reactions: thewave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad