Player Discussion Marner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm not focusing on the swear words. I said swearing happens, and I'm not trying to sensor.

You're right that saying 'quit crying, bro' would have been just as effective. Not effective at all. Why is saying 'let's go' in a heated moment leadership? You don't think someone shouts that in every single locker room after every single playoff loss? It's not special.
However, body language is just as important as the words being said. Nylander looks fed up and e's scowling and saying, 'Quit crying, bro,' to another core player. Marner, on the other hand, looks like a kid who just got scolded by his mom, especially with his glove-throwing tantrum. We'll need to see the replay tomorrow to get more context either way.

I watched the replay of the shift immediately before this, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't have something to do with Marner complaining to the refs about a missed call. It feels like the 'just shoot it' and 'quit crying, bro' moments happened at different times maybe even in different games. As I pointed out, the argument happened after a shift where I don’t think Marner or Matthews had a real chance to 'just shoot it.' However, Marner did chase the ref throughout the shift, so the 'quit crying, bro' comment seems more likely related to that. The quit crying definitely came after that shift.

Last edited:

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Do you think that they would have won if McDavid yelled a little louder?

I don't think Nylander yelling shows leadership or much of anything to be honest, it just shows a bunch of players who want to win and are frustrated.
Just my opinion, but leadership is like 10% talk, 90% walking the walk. Leading by example. Yelling and putting others down are not good leadership qualities. They are old school methods that have proven to be ineffective today, in business and in sport.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
According to the quote, he also said “Bro”, whatever that means.
Omit the profanity and what does he say?

"Shoot it. Stop crying, bro. This is the issue - you guys (complain) about (stuff). Let's go.

It certainly looks like he's talking to one person (bro) and referencing him and at least one other (you guys). Basically saying "stop complaining and play".

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
lol, scoring that big goal in the 3rd period of a game that was already decided. That was indeed a huge playoff moment
You have to give him that - it's the only thing he's right about in the post.

You didn't expect him to admit that after that game (his first back), Nylander was easily the best player (and leader) on the team?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Tres interview and CJ make it pretty clear he’s getting signed.

Like it or not (I thought he was going to Vegas) he’s back

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Swearing at his teammates in a must win game 4 while down 2-1 in the series is the most leadership thing that we've seen from any of the core 4.
It's not leadership at all. It's just Nylander whining like a bratty teenager. Would have been better if he took what looked like constructive criticism from Matthews and went out there and did better instead of lashing back at him, but frustrations are understandable in a moment like that. It's a nothingburger. They were past it 2 minutes later.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's not leadership at all. It's just Nylander whining. Would have been better if he took the constructive criticism from Matthews and went out there and did better instead of lashing back at him, but frustrations are understandable in a moment like that. It's a nothingburger. They were past it 2 minutes later.
We will see Tomorrow who it was about. Again, speaking as if you have facts but you don't.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not following a set play and then crying afterwards when called out on it is about as far away from being a leader as you can get.
There's a reason why he's never been considered for a letter in all the time he's been here.

I agree not everyone can adjust under pressure. Some just don't handle pressure well.

It is hockey, not brain surgery, there is no step 1, step 2, step 3 when the opposition's agenda is to interrupt proceedings.

There is nothing wrong with crying, some just do it more than others.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know we like to offer our opinions, and much of the support for the players is opinion. When you have a personal connection then the opinion is blatantly biased. Sorry, even professionals who judge facts recuse themselves when they have any connection.

Tkachuk won the Memory Cup and the Stanley Cup.
Some leadership there.

Sorry, marner is not that type of player.

marner is an elite support player, but he is never going to be considered a leader. He's Robin, not Batman.

Seems more like a man-child, than a man.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hull and Oates
Ovechkin and Backstrom
Matthews and marner
Matthews and Marner are heading toward the Thorton and Marleau direction, lol. Then again, they actually won playoffs rounds when they played together in their prime.

Personally, Matthews and MM needs to split up in order for the Coach to build a more balanced line up. They should stop caring about individual stats and focus on getting the W.
One of the reason why they can’t win in playoffs and just choked is mainly because they are so used to playing regular season hockey.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Oh I'm very aware that it's about narrative control, not any sort of hockey discussion.

Btw these numbskulls whining about Nylander "swearing at teammates" and how it's not good leadership, you guys just continue to prove you have no clue about anything.

Here's Mack not only yelling at a teammate, but his own coach! Should we berate Mack for his lack of leadership too?

I more so agree with you, but we can’t pretend like everyone loves Nathan Mac. Some of his own teammates despise him and past teammates have publicly said he’s too extreme. That comes with being great though. Leadership is pretty subjective. What one person views as leadership could be what another views as not good leadership.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I more so agree with you, but we can’t pretend like everyone loves Nathan Mac. Some of his own teammates despise him and past teammates have publicly said he’s too extreme. That comes with being great though. Leadership is pretty subjective. What one person views as leadership could be what another views as not good leadership.
Who cares about being liked? Winning is supposed to be the goal, Nathan is a winner, end of story.

What would you rather have, a guy who is well liked or a guy who helps the team win in the playoffs?

Every time someone talks about how Marner is popular in the dressing room I just want to go :facepalm:.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
However, body language is just as important as the words being said. Nylander looks fed up and e's scowling and saying, 'Quit crying, bro,' to another core player. Marner, on the other hand, looks like a kid who just got scolded by his mom, especially with his glove-throwing tantrum. We'll need to see the replay tomorrow to get more context either way.

I watched the replay of the shift immediately before this, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't have something to do with Marner complaining to the refs about a missed call. It feels like the 'just shoot it' and 'quit crying, bro' moments happened at different times maybe even in different games. As I pointed out, the argument happened after a shift where I don’t think Marner or Matthews had a real chance to 'just shoot it.' However, Marner did chase the ref throughout the shift, so the 'quit crying, bro' comment seems more likely related to that. The quit crying definitely came after that shift.
Pretty good chance the whining reference was about the ref.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We will see Tomorrow who it was about. Again, speaking as if you have facts but you don't.
I have a little more respect for Nylander after I watched that episode. It’s not because he B slapped Marner, but he’s a bit of a chirper. Also, he comes across as likeable and of the three he was the best choice for Amazon to use.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I have a little more respect for Nylander after I watched that episode. It’s not because he B slapped Marner, but he’s a bit of a chirper. Also, he comes across as likeable and of the three he was the best choice for Amazon to use.

When did he b slap Marner? Also after watching the episode, the comments seemed directed to both Matthews and Marner. As opposed to one specific person. Didn’t really feel like it was directed specifically to Marner tbh. Just seemed like how they described in the press conference, they were discussing a play or plays that went wrong.

Reactions: ACC1224

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Nylander with 3 goals and 18 shots in 4 games.

Marner with 1 goal and 12 shots in 7 games.

Nylander paid 7 million last 6 years
Marner 11 million last 5 years

Marner played 19% of time against opposite bottom 6 vs 45% for Nylander.

Marner played 3 more game but plsyed less ice time against opposite worst line than Nylander.

The 55% of time he played against opposite top, he been on the ice for 1 goal for and 1 against

in the 45% he played against bottom 6 player 3 gf for, 0 against

Marner 3 gf 2 ga vs opp top 6 and 0 gf/ga vs opp bottom 6

So the real question, reverse the situation by using Nylander 81% vs opposite top 6 and marner only 55%. Who will get the most succes?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The real question is why does Marner get smaller as the games get bigger?

depend what you talking about being smaller.

Outplaying pastrnak line is not the same than outplaying maroon line. Exemple his 1st goal was great gm 6, but do rhe same exact play against pastrnak and unstead of a goal with the same play, its a breakaway against with his risky play at blue line. It was worling against beecher but would not working against a pastrnak or marchand

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Nylander with 3 goals and 18 shots in 4 games.

Marner with 1 goal and 12 shots in 7 games.

Nylander paid 7 million last 6 years
Marner 11 million last 5 years

I assume these sample sizes are good enough to make assumptions.

Can we rely on a player who misses almost 50% of the games?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When did he b slap Marner? Also after watching the episode, the comments seemed directed to both Matthews and Marner. As opposed to one specific person. Didn’t really feel like it was directed specifically to Marner tbh. Just seemed like how they described in the press conference, they were discussing a play or plays that went wrong.
Sounded to me like he was directing it at both those weenies, but particularly Marner, for crying to the ref after he got pushed down instead of getting up and playing.

The real question is why does Marner get smaller as the games get bigger?
We know what Marchand told him, did that affect his play in the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad