Player Discussion Marner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm not focusing on the swear words. I said swearing happens, and I'm not trying to sensor.

You're right that saying 'quit crying, bro' would have been just as effective. Not effective at all. Why is saying 'let's go' in a heated moment leadership? You don't think someone shouts that in every single locker room after every single playoff loss? It's not special.
However, body language is just as important as the words being said. Nylander looks fed up and e's scowling and saying, 'Quit crying, bro,' to another core player. Marner, on the other hand, looks like a kid who just got scolded by his mom, especially with his glove-throwing tantrum. We'll need to see the replay tomorrow to get more context either way.

I watched the replay of the shift immediately before this, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't have something to do with Marner complaining to the refs about a missed call. It feels like the 'just shoot it' and 'quit crying, bro' moments happened at different times maybe even in different games. As I pointed out, the argument happened after a shift where I don’t think Marner or Matthews had a real chance to 'just shoot it.' However, Marner did chase the ref throughout the shift, so the 'quit crying, bro' comment seems more likely related to that. The quit crying definitely came after that shift.

Last edited:

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Do you think that they would have won if McDavid yelled a little louder?

I don't think Nylander yelling shows leadership or much of anything to be honest, it just shows a bunch of players who want to win and are frustrated.
Just my opinion, but leadership is like 10% talk, 90% walking the walk. Leading by example. Yelling and putting others down are not good leadership qualities. They are old school methods that have proven to be ineffective today, in business and in sport.

Reactions: banks

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I certainly have a bunch of brownie points built up. I am waiting for my next project car to arrive from Alberta. A 1957 Ranchero. Needs total restoration but I have my shop at home
I was always s dan of the Elllllllll Camino…..

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
According to the quote, he also said “Bro”, whatever that means.
Omit the profanity and what does he say?

"Shoot it. Stop crying, bro. This is the issue - you guys (complain) about (stuff). Let's go.

It certainly looks like he's talking to one person (bro) and referencing him and at least one other (you guys). Basically saying "stop complaining and play".

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
lol, scoring that big goal in the 3rd period of a game that was already decided. That was indeed a huge playoff moment
You have to give him that - it's the only thing he's right about in the post.

You didn't expect him to admit that after that game (his first back), Nylander was easily the best player (and leader) on the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad