Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If you have the video and are not afraid of what it actually shows, one would think you'd have just posted it, instead of cutting and pasting dozens of freeze frames and adding a narrative.. Pretty much everything you said was incorrect. Not only the overarching blaming of Marner for goals that he had little to nothing to do with, but even the specific claims/descriptions of the plays. This is certainly going to be a waste of time, but:

On goal 2, Marner pressures the point, then comes back and immediately engages with his man, pushing him into the corner. He prevents him from getting into a dangerous position, and forces a blind backwards pass through him to the point. A PK takes that every time. The goal-scoring play is opened up afterward with a pass to the opposite side of the ice of Marner, and Benoit ignoring the guy screening his goalie, yet somehow your blame is focused on Marner...

On goal 3, Marner isn't even on the ice. He's getting on the bench with the rest of his line, while the puck is still in Boston's zone and the team is back. You somehow leave out the most critical freeze frame and parts of the play where the scoring chance actually develops...
View attachment 905022
Domi wasn't behind because of the change. Domi was ahead of Pastrnak and slowed down and let him pass, despite seeing the defenseman move up. McCabe was up for a hit. Matthews can't push off or gain any speed to get back, 45 seconds before he was shut down in the game and series, and the Boston player skates ahead of him and picks up the puck dribbling into the zone, just out of Brodie's reach. Marner has nothing to do with this.

The rest is you misrepresenting two inconsequential plays, and who/what the bench comments are directed at.
Ill start with the easy ones because im pressed for time:

Picturea require no effort by the reader, they dont need to warch a video and fast forward to key events and find the specific moments im describing. 4-6 photos of key plays is straight to the point. Also, I havent posted videos from my own computer before. I plan to in the future, but dont want to put the effort to figure it out just yet.

Goal 2, you're joking right? This is not a challenging pass to make in the NHL. Especially foe a skilled player. Also, it makes no sense for Marners stick to be on the left side of the player. The boards is where you want to keep the puck.

1725476794729.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Dubas had so much insight that Marner proceeded to throw up an even stinkier series against Montreal. Seemed to be some kind of merit to that criticism.

The media got wind of Tavares giving up his captaincy well before it was officially announced, but now they're supposedly fabricating the rumor that Marner refuses to provide a trade list and plans to play out his contract year. And Tree not squashing these rumors? Sure, that's exactly what you'd expect from a GM who desperately wants to keep his star player—staying silent instead of supporting him. makes alot of sense @Hellcat

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lol don’t do that.

You were literally posting mis-information on Nylander “giving up on a play” like last week in defence of Marner.

You are just as guilty of these things you’re “fighting” against.
Winner winner chicken dinner…..

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lol don’t do that.

You were literally posting mis-information on Nylander “giving up on a play” like last week in defence of Marner.

You are just as guilty of these things you’re “fighting” against.
@ACC1224 was complaining about Nylander being soft and scared of contact in the past as well.

Reactions: HolyCrap and rumman

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The media got wind of Tavares giving up his captaincy well before it was officially announced, but now they're supposedly fabricating the rumor that Marner refuses to provide a trade list and plans to play out his contract year. And Tree not squashing these rumors? Sure, that's exactly what you'd expect from a GM who desperately wants to keep his star player—staying silent instead of supporting him. makes alot of sense @Hellcat
Well I just read in the other thread that apparently things are too "toxic" around the team for Tre to squash any rumors.

What an interesting 180 from the usual rhetoric of "the frothers on HFboards and blogs don't represent the reality of things at all". Now there's suddenly enough influence to impact what Tre says and doesn't say?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This is not a challenging pass to make in the NHL. Especially foe a skilled player. Also, it makes no sense for Marners stick to be on the left side of the player. The boards is where you want to keep the puck.
I don't really care how "challenging" you think it is. A blind backhand backwards pass through somebody to the blueline is not a particularly dangerous play, and it's not really what a PK is protecting against. His stick was on the left side for all of one second while he's pushing the player to the corner, and intentional or not, it helped protect against forehand options and the pass back to Pastrnak on his left. Marner brings it to the right side of the player and hits the opposing stick as the puck is passed. In the end, none of this really matters to the goal anyway.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Something that's interesting is.tbst there's almost no media chatter in terms of tangible tumors about things.

I won't be surprised if management has zero idea yet of what they actually want to do with him. I think as fans we'd always like to presume theirs a master strategy at play, but this doesn't seem like that's the case this time around.

And don't blink if they're still trying to make up their mind next June.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Feels like Marner will be resigned after a hot start in the regular season.

Sportsnet's Luke Fox has revealed why it's highly unlikely that we see Mitch Marner end up with a contract extension before or during the 2024-25 season.​

Marner and the Leafs have been eligible to begin negotiating a new contract since July 1st, but neither side has given the media anything in terms of what may or may not be going on behind the scenes this summer.

For Marner, this next contract has the potential to be the last big money deal of his career if he goes for the full 8-year term. For the Leafs, the question of whether or not they want to commit to the type of term and dollars that Marner will be demanding having endured several unproductive postseasons from the star winger.​

"I don't see them coming to an extension the way Nylander did, because I just feel like it wouldn't go over very well in-season before there's anything different in the playoffs. We all know Marner is an elite regular season player. He can put up 100 points if he stays healthy and puts his mind to it. I have no doubt. I mean, this is a great talent."

"Draisaitl just raised the bar. I don't think [Marner] is taking a penny less than Nylander and I don't think the Leafs are willing to pay him that right now, until they see something different come postseason time.
I do believe that [Brad] Treliving at least explored options in terms of moving on from him, but if Marner wants to stay, he stays. And I understand from his point of view why he'd want to. He gets to play setup man to the most dangerous goal scorer in the sport and you're going into a contract year where you're trying to make as much money as possible, so I think this just plays out."

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
One can hope, let him walk and JT too, half your cap problems go with them and use the cap room more wisely…….
On who
Everyone says that
These dreamers who always say that
Use the cap more wisely
Take last free agency if we had Mitch’s cap who would you have signed

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't really care how "challenging" you think it is. A blind backhand backwards pass through somebody to the blueline is not a particularly dangerous play, and it's not really what a PK is protecting against. His stick was on the left side for all of one second while he's pushing the player to the corner, and intentional or not, it helped protect against forehand options and the pass back to Pastrnak on his left. Marner brings it to the right side of the player and hits the opposing stick as the puck is passed. In the end, none of this really matters to the goal anyway.
Through somebody? Why are you suggesting it went through someone? It didnt go through anyone, didnt even meed to go by a skate or a stick blade. Marner left that entire side open. The player just needed to reverse it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Sportsnet's Luke Fox has revealed why it's highly unlikely that we see Mitch Marner end up with a contract extension before or during the 2024-25 season.​

Marner and the Leafs have been eligible to begin negotiating a new contract since July 1st, but neither side has given the media anything in terms of what may or may not be going on behind the scenes this summer.

For Marner, this next contract has the potential to be the last big money deal of his career if he goes for the full 8-year term. For the Leafs, the question of whether or not they want to commit to the type of term and dollars that Marner will be demanding having endured several unproductive postseasons from the star winger.​
That was a whole lot of nothing.what do you feel he “revealed”?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Through somebody? Why are you suggesting it went through someone? It didnt go through anyone, didnt even meed to go by a skate or a stick blade.
It obviously did not literally phase through his body. It means moving the puck through a space that is occupied. It actually did go right by his skate and stick.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It obviously did not literally phase through his body. It means moving the puck through a space that is occupied. It actually was about an inch away from both his stick and skate blade.

It doesn’t really matter—the puck carrier knew Marner effectively had no stick. NHL players dont need gaping holes to make that pass, and it doesn’t get much easier than that. Marner committed one of the biggest defensive no-nos: his stick was on the wrong side of the defender, and he reached around with his free hand. This is basic, pee-wee level coaching. Marner can't get any passes through, but he's letting them through on defense. And of course, @Dekes For Days is calling them "lucky passes," just like when he was saying the opposing goalies were playing at an all-world level, etc. etc. Funny how Marner never seems to "get lucky."

1725488475669.png

Reactions: PromisedLand

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
On who
Everyone says that
These dreamers who always say that
Use the cap more wisely
Take last free agency if we had Mitch’s cap who would you have signed
It’s a good question, but it wouldn’t be on high priced forwards, I’d concentrate on fixing the D and G, both positions have been half assed address imo. Of course there’s nothing you can do about players who don’t want to sign here, of which there we’re a couple, but that’s what happens to teams with a losing culture in a huge market…….

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The good news for Marner, it doesn't take much to win back fickle people. Look at Matthews last year, dude finally showed up big time for exactly one playoff game and he was anointed the next Messier here.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The good news for Marner, it doesn't take much to win back fickle people. Look at Matthews last year, dude finally showed up big time for exactly one playoff game and he was anointed the next Messier here.
34 didn’t earn the C, it was gifted to him……..

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

If leafs offer Marner 12 million for 8 years the open market to just match that would be 13.7 over 7 years. He says that but if leafs get nervous that his price keeps going up like Willy they’ll offer something like that and Marner will sign.

Reactions: Evilhomer

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It doesn’t really matter—the puck carrier knew Marner effectively had no stick. NHL players dont need gaping holes to make that pass, and it doesn’t get much easier than that. Marner committed one of the biggest defensive no-nos: his stick was on the wrong side of the defender, and he reached around with his free hand. This is basic, pee-wee level coaching. Marner can't get any passes through, but he's letting them through on defense. And of course, @Dekes For Days is calling them "lucky passes," just like when he was saying the opposing goalies were playing at an all-world level, etc. etc.
If it doesn't matter, I don't know why you brought it up and made an incorrect claim about it. The puck carrier knew that Marner had a stick; especially so when it pushed him to his backhand, prevented the Pastrnak option, and hit his stick on the pass. There are also other things that can get in the way than just a stick. A blind backhand backwards pass through traffic to the blueline is not particularly easy or dangerous. And in this case, it was largely irrelevant to the goal.

Marner also did not reach around with his other hand. He pushed the player to the corner. This is an example of how freeze frames can be misleading. Marner gets plenty of passes through, and is one of our best defensive players. I don't see me saying "lucky passes" anywhere, but this wouldn't be the first time you misquoted me.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If it doesn't matter, I don't know why you brought it up and made an incorrect claim about it. The puck carrier knew that Marner had a stick; especially so when it pushed him to his backhand, prevented the Pastrnak option, and hit his stick on the pass. There are also other things that can get in the way than just a stick. A blind backhand backwards pass through traffic to the blueline is not particularly easy or dangerous. And in this case, it was largely irrelevant to the goal.

Marner also did not reach around with his other hand. He pushed the player to the corner. This is an example of how freeze frames can be misleading. Marner gets plenty of passes through, and is one of our best defensive players. I don't see me saying "lucky passes" anywhere, but this wouldn't be the first time you misquoted me.
I worry about your mental health. Accusing others of misrepredenting info...but you delete out specific sections of others posts before responding and then twist their words and not by even a little.. honestly if I had to guess, id think you were 14, but your date of membership throws off that theory.

Marners stick is on the wrong side, hes reaching with his free hand.. and he isnt defending the middle of the ice and the most dangerous passing lane. The player makes a VERY BASIC backhand pass i to that gaping hole that ksnt being defended by Marner and the Bruins EASILY score, all because of Marners poor defensive awareness.

Thats it, thats all...im dont with you and your childish behavior.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I worry about your mental health. Accusing others of misrepredenting info...but you delete out specific sections of others posts before responding and then twist their words and not by even a little.. honestly if I had to guess, id think you were 14, but your date of membership throws off that theory.

Marners stick is on the wrong side, hes reaching with his free hand.. and he isnt defending the middle of the ice and the most dangerous passing lane. The player makes a VERY BASIC backhand pass i to that gaping hole that ksnt being defended by Marner and the Bruins EASILY score, all because of Marners poor defensive awareness.

Thats it, thats all...im dont with you and your childish behavior.
You got to use the ignore function my friend. It’s there for a reason. The place is not usable without it being excercrised.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tbh I think Marner’s and Tavares’s struggles also help with that, it takes attention away from Matthews lowkey disappointing playoffs (yet again).

Matthews gets less heat because those guys performed so badly, and he also had an assist in game 7, whereas Marner and Tavares couldn’t get anything on the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad