Marner or Laine?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It did strike me as odd for a star to have only 3 assists in 27 games. It’s very easy to get an assist in hockey. Up to 2 players can get an assist on every goal.

It would be cool to see Laine score 50 goals. The record for least amount of assists for a 50 goal season is Ovechkin, with 21 assists. I do think Laine will eventually hit 21 assists, whether he scores 50 goals or not.

Fun fact. The record for least amount of assists for a 40 goal season is Joe Malone in 1918, with 4 assists.
It did strike me as odd for a star to only have 6 goals. It's very easy for stars to score goals in hockey. Laine has 21 of them.

It would be cool to see Marner score 10 goals and have 100 assists, probably would be the only season of that ever occurring! wow! I think he might even hit 20 goals.

Fun fact, Marner is riding a 14% OISH% (4% above his career average) and Laine currently has a 9.6 OIS% (2.1% below his career average). This will explain part of the reason for Laine's lack of assists and Marner's very high amount (although obviously Marner will always have a lot more as he is a playmaker).

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
In a world where a winner of a hockey game defined by a quantity of assists Marner is certainly better. While in this world only goals are counted. So it not a fair comparison. Laine is like 5 times better player.

In your dreams, he's no where near Marner, Some of you have real difficulty admitting it. Marner at present time is inching to McDavid level. Laine no where near that!!!

Some of you really make me laugh open your eyes to the truth.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
It did strike me as odd for a star to only have 6 goals. It's very easy for stars to score goals in hockey. Laine has 21 of them.

It would be cool to see Marner score 10 goals and have 100 assists, probably would be the only season of that ever occurring! wow! I think he might even hit 20 goals.

Fun fact, Marner is riding a 14% OISH% (4% above his career average) and Laine currently has a 9.6 OIS% (2.1% below his career average). This will explain part of the reason for Laine's lack of assists and Marner's very high amount (although obviously Marner will always have a lot more as he is a playmaker).

Personally, I’d be more shocked to see a star like Laine with 9 assists over a full season, as opposed to a star like Marner with 18 goals.

But I do think Laine will get more than Ovechkin’s 21 assists this season, so he won’t break the record for least assists should he score 50 goals.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I mean you thought 115 points last year was possible for Laine so yeah it's incredible difficult.

Yeah it would have been possible if he was in the first line with Scheifele and played full 2 min PP's like other great shooters. If he wasn't buried in a dysfunctional line for the majority of the season.

Once he starts playing the minutes he should be playing, we can revisit this topic and see how off I was. He is reaching Gretzkys scoring numbers from the same age, on a much harder era. With 16 minutes average TOI where other guys closer to his calibre are in the 19-20 minute mark. Never seen a player utilized worse.

He is 20, so there's the next 10 years at least to see if I was correct. I can guarantee you he will not be sitting in a 2nd line forever, if his coach doesn't get the hint then he will walk and go somewhere where his talent is appreciated and he is played to his strengths.

Had he stayed with Scheifele the whole time, he would already have a calder and two rockets. That's gotta weigh on him a bit, being thrown to the wolves and not utilized to the max. Jets would have had a better chance in the playoffs too, they were lacking in goals but Maurice sat there with his thumb up his ass and didn't make the required changes. Instead, overplayed vets. That's the main issue for Jets.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
No one talks about Marner outside Leaf nation. He ain't even close to being a marquee star Laine already is for the league and worldwide. Laine sucks because he for years will lead the league in goals, but of course goals don't matter if: they are on a pp, empty net, you don't drive your line. So Laine sucks.

Last edited:

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah it would have been possible if he was in the first line with Scheifele and played full 2 min PP's like other great shooters. If he wasn't buried in a dysfunctional line for the majority of the season.

Once he starts playing the minutes he should be playing, we can revisit this topic and see how off I was. He is reaching Gretzkys scoring numbers from the same age, on a much harder era. With 16 minutes average TOI where other guys closer to his calibre are in the 19-20 minute mark. Never seen a player utilized worse.

He is 20, so there's the next 10 years at least to see if I was correct. I can guarantee you he will not be sitting in a 2nd line forever, if his coach doesn't get the hint then he will walk and go somewhere where his talent is appreciated and he is played to his strengths.
Excuses.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

Reasons.

if you want to ignore circumstance, you are not honestly trying to gauge the player. If you ignore relevant data, then you have an agenda to support.

Example: Laine outscored Matthews like 18-0 in November. Must be that much better of a goal scorer then!

If you point out Matthews was injured (circumstance), then I get to say "excuses".

That would be stupid, now wouldn't it.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
Pretty clear that a lot of people in this thread don't follow Laine much. His work ethic is highly regarded by a lot of teammates and he's clearly put focus on his defensive side. He still has a ton of growth to do, but I don't think he'll continue being an 'offense only' guy. He'll still obviously excel at it, but will be less of a defensive liability than a lot of people here think he is. He's also is 6'5 and young, still needs to grow into his frame. Same thing happened with Scheifele and a ton of other big players. They take a bit longer to physically develop compared to smaller players like Marner.

He is the best player in the NHL at the most important skill you need in the game - scoring goals. Not to mention he's had more points than Marner in every season so far. I would bet that if you surveyed all of the GMs in the NHL, almost all of them would take Laine over Marner. Great setup guys are important to teams but much more common than a possibly generational goal scorer. Almost every team has at least one great playmaker. There are VERY few teams that have a truly elite goal scorer who can do it season after season.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Even more excuses.

Obviously your reading comprehension could use some work. What you replied to, has no excuse or reason in it, it is just a statement asking you to stop talking to me, because there won't be anything good that comes out of it. We are at different ends.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Obviously your reading comprehension could use some work. What you replied to, has no excuse or reason in it, it is just a statement asking you to stop talking to me, because there won't be anything good that comes out of it. We are at different ends.
Whew, all these excuses. How do you carry them all?

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Pretty clear that a lot of people in this thread don't follow Laine much. His work ethic is highly regarded by a lot of teammates and he's clearly put focus on his defensive side. He still has a ton of growth to do, but I don't think he'll continue being an 'offense only' guy. He'll still obviously excel at it, but will be less of a defensive liability than a lot of people here think he is. He's also is 6'5 and young, still needs to grow into his frame. Same thing happened with Scheifele and a ton of other big players. They take a bit longer to physically develop compared to smaller players like Marner.

He is the best player in the NHL at the most important skill you need in the game - scoring goals. Not to mention he's had more points than Marner in every season so far. I would bet that if you surveyed all of the GMs in the NHL, almost all of them would take Laine over Marner. Great setup guys are important to teams but much more common than a possibly generational goal scorer. Almost every team has at least one great playmaker. There are VERY few teams that have a truly elite goal scorer who can do it season after season.
Lol. Cool. Your goal scorer is generational? We got one too. Twice in a generation lol

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
Oh man, that was hilarious.

The Leafs absolutely stomped on them. And what do you know? Marner dominated that game too.

How'd the leafs do in the playoffs? Remind me, I didn't watch all of the first round games.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
How'd the leafs do in the playoffs? Remind me, I didn't watch all of the first round games.
I don't know what this has to do with the discussion in this thread, but I do know the Leafs indisputably dominated the Jets in back to back on the back of Marner while Laine was a no show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad