Marner or Laine?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
This thread is a complete clusterf***.

Had they actually traded them, there would be alot of turncoats within the Leafs fanbase first thing tomorrow morning.

For me it's like choosing between Ovi and Bäckström. So Laine.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
just so I have this right Laine is the best player in the league this season and Marner is a scrub? That's what we're going with here?
No. Thats what Toronto fans doing here. I would not try to compare those two players even I were completely drunk. Hockey is a team sport. It is perfectly ok to be a guy who helps others to score. But if someone really wants to compare a scorer and a playmaker I have a bad news for him/her - to win a hockey game you need to score goals and you dont need assists at all.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
You mean in your dreams? Cause in the real world if you put Laine and Marner on ice one-on-one. Laine wins it 21 to 6. The only way you can make Marner a better player if you put him on ice together with say Tavares. Then sure thing Marner+Tavares is better than Laine.

I mean I've seen plenty of BS about Crosby being a better player than Ovechkin. But at least Crosby fans have a point. Cause Crosby is the 2nd best player in the world. It is fair to compare the 2nd best player with the best player. It is not that big of a stretch. They are in the same tier at least.

But it is absolutely ridiculous idea to compare the best player of this season (the best for the moment obviously) with some scrub who scored 6 goals.
Without a skilled passer setting him up Laine may as well be a pylon on the ice.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Marner quite easily for the Leafs, but for the Jets I think its Laine quite easily. Leafs already have a sniper but no playmaker anywhere close to Marner, Jets have Wheeler but no sniper anywhere close to Laine.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
You mean in your dreams? Cause in the real world if you put Laine and Marner on ice one-on-one. Laine wins it 21 to 6. The only way you can make Marner a better player if you put him on ice together with say Tavares. Then sure thing Marner+Tavares is better than Laine.

I mean I've seen plenty of BS about Crosby being a better player than Ovechkin. But at least Crosby fans have a point. Cause Crosby is the 2nd best player in the world. It is fair to compare the 2nd best player with the best player. It is not that big of a stretch. They are in the same tier at least.

But it is absolutely ridiculous idea to compare the best player of this season (the best for the moment obviously) with some scrub who scored 6 goals.
Obvious troll post is obvious.

Reactions: Leaf4Life

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I'd give the edge to Marner at the moment, they're both superstar young players and the comparison is really mostly comparing apples with oranges.

Because a few years ago, some Leaf fans had their feelings hurt when their lord and savior was compared to our guy. It's been a war ever since.

I don't even think Jets fans cared that much back then, it was mostly a Finnish vs Leafs fans thing. But yeah, it was ridiculous back then and has been ever since :laugh:

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah it would have been possible if he was in the first line with Scheifele and played full 2 min PP's like other great shooters. If he wasn't buried in a dysfunctional line for the majority of the season.

Once he starts playing the minutes he should be playing, we can revisit this topic and see how off I was. He is reaching Gretzkys scoring numbers from the same age, on a much harder era. With 16 minutes average TOI where other guys closer to his calibre are in the 19-20 minute mark. Never seen a player utilized worse.

He is 20, so there's the next 10 years at least to see if I was correct. I can guarantee you he will not be sitting in a 2nd line forever, if his coach doesn't get the hint then he will walk and go somewhere where his talent is appreciated and he is played to his strengths.

Had he stayed with Scheifele the whole time, he would already have a calder and two rockets. That's gotta weigh on him a bit, being thrown to the wolves and not utilized to the max. Jets would have had a better chance in the playoffs too, they were lacking in goals but Maurice sat there with his thumb up his ass and didn't make the required changes. Instead, overplayed vets. That's the main issue for Jets.

This is why it's impossible to talk Laine with you.
Never on Laine, always the linemates.

He was damm 45 points short off 115. Nobody hit 115 last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeeyyy

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Laine. Good playmakers are a dime a dozen. There are a lot less top end goal scorers
How many players over the last 15-20 years have been over an assist per game like Marner is currently pacing for

Jumbo joe is the only guy off the top of my head who’s done it?

Marner isn’t just a “good” playmaker. He’s one of the best, maybe soon will be the best, in the entire league...

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
No. Thats what Toronto fans doing here. I would not try to compare those two players even I were completely drunk. Hockey is a team sport. It is perfectly ok to be a guy who helps others to score. But if someone really wants to compare a scorer and a playmaker I have a bad news for him/her - to win a hockey game you need to score goals and you dont need assists at all.

What about defense. Also, do you think scoring can happen without passing?

Lol this isn't peewee hockey here where the best player just skates around the other team and scores on a solo effort every time.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Laine is a great shooter, like he is Elite, and Marner is slick as a guy who could sell ice to a eskimo, both great players 2 different types of players. both are very good at there craft.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
This thread is a complete cluster****.

Had they actually traded them, there would be alot of turncoats within the Leafs fanbase first thing tomorrow morning.

Thats more about you underrating Marner.

Backstrom vs James Neal, for me.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This thread is a complete cluster****.

Interesting because Caps fans I've talked to that watch all the games say Backstrom is their best player. Marner and Laine are not even that close if you look at their point totals this season, and Marner is also the better defensive player. I'm still aware Laine's potential is amazing, but he is not better than Marner right now. He took a big step up and other than one game from Laine this season he hasn't really shown an improvement from his previous seasons.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad