Marner or Laine?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Because a few years ago, some Leaf fans had their feelings hurt when their lord and savior was compared to our guy. It's been a war ever since.

Laughable. Laine isn't comlarable to Matthews and believe me we aren't "hurt" by anyome who tries to make that comparison. I actually laugh at it.

Matthews > Marner > Laine.

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Reactions: Orfieus

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For a team to be good, you need to score more goals than opponent.

That makes your team better more than any other secondary aspect of hockey. Assists are nice, saves are nice, skating is nice, hitting is nice, drawing penalties is nice. But the game is decided on goals and those are just functions that support goal scoring or avoiding goals in your own end.

Yes you need to score goals, but someone has to create the plays those goals can be scored on, someone needs to get the puck to the offensive zone, someone simply needs to get the puck and possession.

Laine isn't good enough to be the guy on a team, he can't be your teams best player right now, because he can't drive a play, because he's too dependent on linemates.
Outside of his goal scoring he doesn't bring a lot to the table.

Marner is a constant threat on the other hand, and a guy who makes his linemates better.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Laughable. Laine isn't comlarable to Matthews and believe me we aren't "hurt" by anyome who tries to make that comparison. I actually laugh at it.

Matthews > Marner > Laine.

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Yeah, see, this is what I am talking about. You just mention the fact that it happened and the ">" start coming out.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010

That makes your team better more than any other secondary aspect of hockey. Assists are nice, saves are nice, skating is nice, hitting is nice, drawing penalties is nice. But the game is decided on goals and those are just functions that support goal scoring or avoiding goals in your own end.

But here is the flaw in this logic. I would argue that Marner's elite playmaking results in more goals scored by his line, compared to Laine's influence on his line. I agree it's all about the goals, and Marner *creates* more of them.
By your logic you would have a team full of James Neals, when a prime Joe Thornton is sitting on the bench.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Umm.. Did you see the title of this thread? LOL

Considering it's the TOPIC of this thread...

Matthews isn't in the title or was a part of the thread till I answered that dudes question.

All I said that was feelings were hurt when Laine was compared to Matthews and the second I brought that up you tried show me I was wrong by doing exactly what I said.

"LAUGHABLE"
">>>>>>"
"HOPE I DIDN'T HURT YOUR FEELINGS"

You were missing 1 "AINEC" for my Bingo card.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What is a good number? It's the same story with 20% and 30%. I'm seeing nothing that suggests that elite playmakers are any less rare than elite goal scorers.

I’m assuming that he means because there are more assists than goals it shouldn’t be 10% for both. Since there are almost twice as many assists as goals it should probably be something like 10% and 6%

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Because a few years ago, some Leaf fans had their feelings hurt when their lord and savior was compared to our guy. It's been a war ever since.

Is that a joke?

It was Jets fans constantly comparing Laine to Matthews.

Did you notice how all of those threads dissapeared and no one brought it up until Laine went on a hot streak? Now it's all back? And it will go quiet again, soon.

It's because one side of the argument (Laine fans) absolutely NEED for their to be comparisons and controversy surrounding these two. I have no idea why.

Laine is a fantastic playmaker. He just doesn't get used as one because he has the best shot in the game. Naturally, he should primarily shoot. In the last game he had two great chances to shoot but he tried to set up Little with a sick feed both times and Little didn't even get a shot on goal on those empty net tap ins. Laine should have shot on both occasions, and the coach should be reminding him "assists are for assistants"

This is just too perfect :laugh::laugh::laugh:

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Is that a joke?

It was Jets fans constantly comparing Laine to Matthews.

Did you notice how all of those threads dissapeared and no one brought it up until Laine went on a hot streak? Now it's all back? And it will go quiet again, soon.

It's because one side of the argument (Laine fans) absolutely NEED for their to be comparisons and controversy surrounding these two. I have no idea why.

Yeah....see.....like this. You bring it up once and everyone starts shouting about how no one was shouting.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Yeah....see.....like this. You bring it up once and everyone starts shouting about how no one was shouting.

You're really that clueless. That's what happens when you throw out a bunch of fallicies in a post.

Leaf fans never compared Matthews to Laine and we never had our "feelings hurt" because we knew who was clearly better.

You can stop throwing out nonsensical opinions as facts now.

Reactions: Iapyi

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I’m assuming that he means because there are more assists than goals it shouldn’t be 10% for both. Since there are almost twice as many assists as goals it should probably be something like 10% and 6%

A fixed percentage is exactly how you would control for this.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

You're right. The 4 mainboard threads littered with shots at Matthews are just...collateral? Happens every time a player has a streak? Funny I didn't see those comments littering every page of the Kucherov thread, or the Point thread. When it's Laine, though....I am sure it's just coincidence. My favourites were all the "brap" comments when he scored 5 that one game. I am sure that had nothing to do with Matthews either.

Also, remember that cringey zamboni driver rap where they mention Matthews multiple times?

It's like a cloud that hangs over his head and every once in a while, the rain stops and everyone comes out of their holes looking to spread the word of Laine>Matthews to anyone who will listen....then Matthews comes back and puts it to sleep and they all scurry back to their hidey holes.

Reactions: Iapyi

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
You're really that clueless. That's what happens when you throw out a bunch of fallicies in a post.

Leaf fans never compared Matthews to Laine and we never had our "feelings hurt" because we knew who was clearly better.

You can stop throwing out nonsensical opinions as facts now.

I never said Leaf fans made the comparison. I said that they were upset that the comparison was made in the first place. So far this, this exchange has been a great example that shows some of that animosity from years ago still remains as strong as ever.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

A team of Marners would beat a team of Lianes 9 or 10 times out of 10.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
You're right. The 4 mainboard threads littered with shots at Matthews are just...collateral? Happens every time a player has a streak? Funny I didn't see those comments littering every page of the Kucherov thread, or the Point thread. When it's Laine, though....I am sure it's just coincidence. My favourites were all the "brap" comments when he scored 5 that one game. I am sure that had nothing to do with Matthews either.

Also, remember that cringey zamboni driver rap where they mention Matthews multiple times?

It's like a cloud that hangs over his head and every once in a while, the rain stops and everyone comes out of their holes looking to spread the word of Laine>Matthews to anyone who will listen....then Matthews comes back and puts it to sleep and they all scurry back to their hidey holes.
*sigh* You're not getting it so I'll just give you what you want.

bUt cAn mAtThEwS sCoRe 5 gOaLs iN a GaMe???????? LULZ! PWNED!

aaaaaaaaaand I die a little on the inside each time.

morkkis35

Aug 9, 2017
People act like we talk about their sons, dont be so defensive and take off ur clubglasses. Too bad that many pple cannot talk about players objectively. Im a fan of laine, but both are studs. Whatever a team needs, u go with either or.

Mitch has amazing playmaking skills and definitely makes his linemates better. Every game i watch he makes things happen. Absolutely admire him.

Laine is a goalscorer like there is not many.... he has an absolute killer instinct and laser of a shot/release. He also has the skills/potential to set teammates up, what is definitely anunderrated part of his game. But how would u know if u didnt watch any of his games over the last couple years. Many pple talk about how reliant he is on other players.... but who the f@#$ scores how laine does!? Not many. This guy just started his 3rd season and scired 100 goals. This is an acomplishment rarely anyone has achieved. Laine is the key in many games and can decide games in the jets favour. He can score from positions nobody can.

U need goalscorers aswell as playmakers. Neither works without the other one. So i do not get this "he just scoes goals" "he just makes passes". Both are essential. Both live of each other, like laine needs passes, marner needs someone to bury it. Both wont happen with scrubs as linmates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad