Marner or Laine?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
This is a dumb comparison , 2 totally different players . Marner works for Toronto and Laine works for Winnipeg , Toronto would never trade Marner and Winnipeg would never trade Laine . If either GM traded either player they would be out of a job .
What if they traded for each other? Simultaneous double firing? Followed by both teams hiring the opposing GMs??

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I hear this a lot. Isn't that true for anyone not named Gretzky? And in that case I'd just get fourthliners since they have the most room for improvement.

Obviously everyone can improve, but I can see that Laine has high potential and more room to improve than others. And he doesn't even need to take a big step, I think he is borderline to a 100 point player when he gets consistent.

He can be easily the best player on the ice and in the next game he might be easily the worst. This has been since the start of his career.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
mitch marner is the dale earnhardt of line driving while patrick laine is the tony stewart of line driving

What if they traded for each other? Simultaneous double firing? Followed by both teams hiring the opposing GMs??

the gms would have to be part of the trade. Laine+Cheveldayoff for Marner+Dubas

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You are grossly misinformed. It's assists that can't happen without goals, goals can and do happen without assists.

LMAO.

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 11.48.16 AM.png

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Actually the objective is to win... and ideally win the Cup.

Scoring goals can win you a few games. Lines that drive the play and possession win cups

The objective is to win. The only way to win is to score more goals than your opponent. So goal scoring is the only primary requirement, assists do not have to happen at all but of course they do.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Quick question - if Laine is better than Marner and Scheifele is close to AM and Wheeler is way better than Nylander and Little is close to Kadri and Trouba is close to Rielly and Buff and Morrissey are way ahead of Leaf defencemen....etc

Why are we still better than Winnipeg?

We apparently legitimately have no players that ever win a comparison in the eyes of Winnipeg fans. Yet here we are, right at the top with them.

Maybe, just maybe, we aren’t overrating some of our players and they actually are good.
This makes too much sense for any Jets fan to respond. All their star players are better than our star players yet we're ahead of them in the standings and swept the season series.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
This makes too much sense for any Jets fan to respond. All their star players are better than our star players yet we're ahead of them in the standings and swept the season series.

actually its mostly non-sense and hyperbole. thats probably why no one responded to it

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Probably because we have actually won in the playoffs with this group and you guys haven't yet

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'll pretty much always take the guy who plays a 200' game over the guy who is a one trick pony albeit that one trick being such a valued asset.

Marner does it all. Laine has a great shot.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
For team to be good you need players who make lines better and drive the play.

For a team to be good, you need to score more goals than opponent.

That makes your team better more than any other secondary aspect of hockey. Assists are nice, saves are nice, skating is nice, hitting is nice, drawing penalties is nice. But the game is decided on goals and those are just functions that support goal scoring or avoiding goals in your own end.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If you want a shooter, Laine. If you want a playmaker, Marner.

It's really that simple.

I'm super super biased.
But id take Marner 10/10 times. He brings a little extra.

Even if my line 1 had a playmaker center..... Marner meshes well enough to elevate anyone's game.

But again I am biased.....
I'm not a Laine hater though, just think he's a marvelous line complimentary player, not a driver

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Laine. Marner's an absolutely incredible player, but there's a lot more guys like him in the league and in prospect pools. If you can coach Laine up a little you'll have the most unique weapon in the league. Not a slight to Marner at all.

We'll see how Marner maintains his pace this year, too. He's off to a hell of a start, but I don't see him finishing with 115 points (nor do I see Laine potting close to 65 goals). Could be wrong, though.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine is a tier below Marner. Laine shoots, and that’s where it ends. Marner literally does it all.

Laine is a fantastic playmaker. He just doesn't get used as one because he has the best shot in the game. Naturally, he should primarily shoot. In the last game he had two great chances to shoot but he tried to set up Little with a sick feed both times and Little didn't even get a shot on goal on those empty net tap ins. Laine should have shot on both occasions, and the coach should be reminding him "assists are for assistants"

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland

2 games is such a big sample size, wow!

might want to check back to last season, 2nd best team in the NHL while the best team was in the same division? confrence finals?

oh wait but 2 games on regular season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad