Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion XX - The Dog Days of August V3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

FWIW, he thinks Marner is like our Toews. PP's, PK's, etc...

"Can put him in any situation and he excels". Not so sure that is true but to each their own... Marner has not had too many "tough" situations in the NHL unless you count doing all of them with Tavares. Otherwise he was usually leading a line with Bozak and JvR in pure offensive situations, and wasn't always a star doing it. I don't think he realizes how good of a player Matthews actually is.

Reactions: hullsy47

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
8x3 (structured 5-8-11), 10.225 x 6 or 10.75 x 7. He takes his pick which one he wants but those should be the final offers

Dubas should just stick with whatever he has and not increase it. I doubt he's gone up that high on those terms at this point and I do not think he should move from that position.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

"Can put him in any situation and he excels". Not so sure that is true but to each their own... Marner has not had too many "tough" situations in the NHL unless you count doing all of them with Tavares. Otherwise he was usually leading a line with Bozak and JvR in pure offensive situations, and wasn't always a star doing it. I don't think he realizes how good of a player Matthews actually is.
Marner really deserves credit for how good he was on the PK though. I'm not sure if I would give him full credit just yet - I want a larger sample size before I do that - but he was really, really good for us. I'm normally a proponent of keeping star players off the PK, but if that's something he can maintain then he should definitely be a key PK player for us going forward.

Toews he is not though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
What are they saying about Matthews?

That Dubas signed a contract that walks him straight to UFA so he can get out of the big market and return home to AZ. I don't blame you for taking the summer off, or perhaps sedating yourself through it.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Marner really deserves credit for how good he was on the PK though. I'm not sure if I would give him full credit just yet - I want a larger sample size before I do that - but he was really, really good for us. I'm normally a proponent of keeping star players off the PK, but if that's something he can maintain then he should definitely be a key PK player for us going forward.

Toews he is not though.

Why don't you want star players on the PK? Injuries blocking shots? If that's the reasoning, and Mitchy is really as important as Papi, then he shouldn't be PK'ing at all.

IMO, Papi should be on the PK - he has the skill and hockey IQ to be out there and anytime you can get him more ice time, you try and do it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That Dubas signed a contract that walks him straight to UFA so he can get out of the big market and return home to AZ. I don't blame you for taking the summer off, or perhaps sedating yourself through it.
I employ selective reading, most likely the 'many' that think this fall into that category.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Did Kane go back to Buffalo ?

Carey Price back to BC ?

Toews back to Winnipeg ?

See a trend here ?

Is Tavares the only high level player to every actually go back home ?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why don't you want star players on the PK? Injuries blocking shots? If that's the reasoning, and Mitchy is really as important as Papi, then he shouldn't be PK'ing at all.

IMO, Papi should be on the PK - he has the skill and hockey IQ to be out there and anytime you can get him more ice time, you try and do it.
The vast majority of players on the PK are very replaceable. Who is out there is generally not a big difference, as long as they do their job within the system. So normally, I'd rather have players who can make a difference even strength or on the PP to conserve their energy for that, while players who can't take on the PK duties.

However, Marner looks like one of those exceptions who can have a significant impact on the PK, and as such he brings value there that not many can. It's just that, like I said, we haven't really seen enough to draw that conclusion yet.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

I dunno look at game 6 vs the Bruins
If u notice marner got hit early by chara
He wasn't the same in the series
Just saying watch the replay of game 6

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Did Kane go back to Buffalo ?

Carey Price back to BC ?

Toews back to Winnipeg ?

See a trend here ?

Is Tavares the only high level player to every actually go back home ?

AND Tavares only left because the Islanders were a shit show. I don't expect the Leafs to be Islanders level incompetent over the next 5 years

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
AND Tavares only left because the Islanders were a **** show. I don't expect the Leafs to be Islanders level incompetent over the next 5 years

There is also a possibility that in 5 years the Coyotes will be in a different state altogether.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that our division rival and team we have to play in the playoffs every year (Boston) get their stars Marchand, Pastrnak and Bergeron signed to around 6.5 while we have to sign our three stars who are on a similar level to around 11 million.

I’d be fine with paying Marner 11 if our competitors were also paying that much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad