Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVIII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dubas should tell Ferris and Sakic that Shanny won't let him sign Mitch until after Rantanen signs.

If Rantanen were to sign for $8.5 mil X 8 do you think Marner would accept that contract?

I personally don't believe it would change anything in regards to Marner even if he went after.

Aho a player statistically similar to Marner got a $8.45 X 5 mil offersheet and Marner camp is rumoured to want +$2 mil more per season on that term.

Toronto market signings seem to be at the end of the rainbow of a 1-way street, where the NHLPA looks to for all its members to set the salary bar's ceiling.

Leafs have 2 of the 3 highest paid centres in the game behind only McDavid and soon Marner will likely be a top 3 paid winger.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The loss would be massive this season.

The bright side might be that Dubas rep gets a huge bump that puts a stop to these hostage style negotiations that agents think they can pull on him. The greater good. I would hate to sacrifice this year but I'd quickly forget about it if it meant Dubas started being seen as having cajones among agents.
After Marner, there are no other expensive ELC players. That is a pretty expensive object lesson unless you think that the team should teach guys like Rielly some sort of lesson before he enters his UFA negotiations. Somehow I dont think he and his agent will feel threatened in any event.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Beyond absurd to think they will just fill the roster and let him sit.
Really makes no sense at all.
It makes sense if you want to increase his leverage for next year when the team falls flat. You can try to trade him mid year and get a bucket of bolts players in return relatively speaking. If the leafs cant come to a deal, they need to trade him asap and cut their losses which will already be significant.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Beyond absurd to think they will just fill the roster and let him sit.
Really makes no sense at all.

There will come a time were they will not be able to afford him, if the holdout extends into the season like Nylander.

Because of the the first year front loaded CBA cap penalty Marner signing late for $9 mil would be like a $12-13 mil cap hit in year #1. Nylander's $7.5 mil contract resulted in a $10.27 mil 1st year cap hit for the Leafs.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
After Marner, there are no other expensive ELC players. That is a pretty expensive object lesson unless you think that the team should teach guys like Rielly some sort of lesson before he enters his UFA negotiations. Somehow I dont think he and his agent will feel threatened in any event.

Lou likely made his reputation early in NJ. I don't think he was only thinking of the ramifications that would have on the current roster. He was thinking more long term. It's a big picture play for sure. Like I said though - that would only be the bright side of a bad situation that nobody wants.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Nylander's $7.5 mil contract resulted in a $10.27 mil 1st year cap hit for the Leafs.
Nylander's 6.96m contract resulted in a 6.96m hit to the cap last year.

The only reason it is not possible this year is that LTIR space doesn't accrue in the same way.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It makes sense if you want to increase his leverage for next year when the team falls flat. You can try to trade him mid year and get a bucket of bolts players in return relatively speaking. If the leafs cant come to a deal, they need to trade him asap and cut their losses which will already be significant.
If Marner is aware that he will miss the season he will find an offer sheet that allows him to play and if the Leafs have no space left they will lose the asset.
Doesn't seem like a good approach to me.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He looked like he was with the Marleau family on twitter today
Yeah it looks like Naz was wrong. I was warming up with my short irons in practice area at Islington for my 145 tee time on Saturday with my kids and on comes Naz. The kids shoot the sh*t with him and he says Mitch stood him up as they were supposed ride/play together. Freddy played with Phil. When you see Freddy in that setting what a mountain of a man. But he can't putt worth a lick.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
It isn't like it would have taken a great player to replace him in the playoffs this year.

Probably could have had several players match his contribution.
except for the 2 out of 3 wins where he was a key reason why they won.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDN24

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
2 of the 3 wins were

except for the 2 out of 3 wins where he was a key reason why they won.
The way people talk like he’s expendable, or a Bracco is remotely capable of filling in, don’t think we quite get what the Leafs have here. I know I do, and I’m loving every minute of watching something relatively rare.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The loss would be massive this season.

The bright side might be that Dubas rep gets a huge bump that puts a stop to these hostage style negotiations that agents think they can pull on him. The greater good. I would hate to sacrifice this year but I'd quickly forget about it if it meant Dubas started being seen as having cajones among agents.
geez, some of you people are just drama queens. Would the Leafs be better with him in the line up? Absolutely. Is the season lost because of the loss of your lord and savior Mitch Marner and his money train? Absolutely not. That's the way he seems to think as well. There are other signed players who would have more effect on the Leafs fortunes than him.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
geez, some of you people are just drama queens. Would the Leafs be better with him in the line up? Absolutely. Is the season lost because of the loss of your lord and savior Mitch Marner and his money train? Absolutely not. That's the way he seems to think as well. There are other signed players who would have more effect on the Leafs fortunes than him.

Interesting take.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The way people talk like he’s expendable, or a Bracco is remotely capable of filling in, don’t think we quite get what the Leafs have here. I know I do, and I’m loving every minute of watching something relatively rare.
It's really strange how one moment some say he can go, won't be missed, better off without him, etc and then in the next breath say he's worth 9/10 milliion a year.
Doesn't make sense.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Most Leaf fans know what we have in Marner. IMO Leaf fans have grown tired of the third of three players trying to milk every dime rather than taking a discount for the good of the team, without having won a playoff series to boot. How can we compete with TB when we pay Tavares, Matthews and Marner $33M (roughtly) while TB pays Stamkos, Kutch and Point $27M ???

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
And yet this reads like hyperbolic drama. Is that irony?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Most Leaf fans know what we have in Marner. IMO Leaf fans have grown tired of the third of three players trying to milk every dime rather than taking a discount for the good of the team, without having won a playoff series to boot. How can we compete with TB when we pay Tavares, Matthews and Marner $33M (roughtly) while TB pays Stamkos, Kutch and Point $27M ???
Marner didn’t create Dubie dollars.

I’m sick of it too, but I’m not surprised in the least.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
11Mx 3 would be an epic win for Marner/lose for Dubas...if the kid won't sign long term then he shouldn't see anywhere near double digits...if he won't make the commitment then why should we?

He won't get 11M x 3 years...or at least any competent GM wouldn't do that.

Panarin 2 year bridge rate for Marner puts him at around 6.7M for 2 years

Aho just signed for under 8.5M for 5 years, Marner won't get 11M for 3 years.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
He aint Gretzky but he is a very interesting talent who brings a very unique talent that we have rarely seen. There is no guarantee that he is in the hall of fame quite yet but his style is so interesting, he might even change the way the game is played in time.
His style is so deceptive right now, I shudder to think what happens if he takes more opportunities to score.
He is already almost as entertaining as Datsyuk but he is still young and has time to improve.

Reactions: CDN24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad