Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVIII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
You’ve given no positives...yeah Toronto is a nice place to visit....but that’s not even true anymore

Maybe for you there aren't positives. For a lot of people there are 4 I posted.

I assume you are older (Not trying to offend), but if you are older, it makes a lot of sense wanting to live in Florida vs Toronto. This is why so many people retire down in Florida.

Younger people and players may prefer to live in Toronto. To each their own.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Still July here.
If Marner wants to be a Leaf, and have a competitive team around him, he'd have signed a reasonable contract already! Dubas overpaid Nylander and Matthews! Now, Marner wants an overpayment too.

Marner, the real home grown athlete, and a supposed huge Leafs fan growing up, should recognize the need to have a deep roster to compete more than anyone on the team.

Solicit trade offers now! JMHO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Marner wants to be a Leaf, and have a competitive team around him, he'd have signed a reasonable contract already! Dubas overpaid Nylander and Matthews! Now, Marner wants an overpayment too.

Marner, the real home grown athlete, and a supposed huge Leafs fan growing up, should recognize the need to have a deep roster to compete more than anyone on the team.

What difference would it make if he signs today, last week or a month from now?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That’s why virtually all of Tampa was given NTC.

That helps the players once they qualify for it.
But Kucherov can be traded this year.
Point can't get on for several years.
Some other have NTC's which require a list of teams.

But for someone like Point, a NTC is virtually meaningless for about 4 years.

Now, I'm not sure I'd rank Tampa as a top landing spot as far as lifestyle goes, but it isn't Washington.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
What difference would it make if he signs today, last week or a month from now?
He needs to commit to the team. Thus far, he's doing anything but commit to our Leafs.

Opening himself up for offer sheets sure doesn't scream commitment and dedication to being a Toronto Maple Leaf IMHO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think Marner should hold out for the most money he gets, and if it's more than Leafs can stomach he can be moved.

He's just another player who'll eventually move on.

It isn't up to the players to decide if a franchise is a winner, it's up to management to create the best team and players are just assets utilized in that goal.

Nothing wrong with individual greed as long as greed is a by-product and not the goal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He needs to commit to the team. Thus far, he's doing anything but commit to our Leafs.

Opening himself up for offer sheets sure doesn't scream commitment and dedication to being a Toronto Maple Leaf IMHO.
Every RFA currently unsigned is available to receive an offer sheet.
I don't know why anyone would question his commitment to the team.
Not agreeing to a contract doesn't mean you aren't committed, not negotiating would show that.

It will get done, there isn't any animosity here.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I assume you are older (Not trying to offend), but if you are older, it makes a lot of sense wanting to live in Florida vs Toronto. This is why so many people retire down in Florida.

Stamkos isn’t old

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

The offer sheets aren’t even a concern anymore because NO team will pony up what Mitch wants.
Why it is still even discussed here or in the media is a mystery to me.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Marner was the last RFA unsigned I’d actually be concerned, fact everyone is in wait and see mode, people should relax. Who cares until he sits out, it’s irrelevant to next year. The money is there, he gets signed, enjoy the summer.

It think many of the RFAs in waiting are doing so, because they want Marner to go first and raise the bar for the rest of then as his contract is likely to be the most lucrative, which can only help them if he raises the bar for the entire market.

Just like Marner wanted Matthews to go first to benefit himself in future contract negotiations.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Some other have NTC's which require a list of teams.
All Tampa players making more than 1.7m have a full NMC or full NTC right now, except (because they are too young) MVP Kucherov (NMC starting next year), just-signed #1G Vasilevsky (NMC starting 2 years from now), and soon to be signed #1C Point, which are the 3 players they would never trade anyway.

Only Killorn has his turn into a modified NTC next year, where he can choose 16 teams that he can be traded to.

Lucky that they got discounts on their players, but that could come to bite them if none of these players want to willingly give up a bunch of tax money on their already discounted contracts to leave a contender.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
It think many of the RFAs in waiting are doing so, because they want Marner to go first and raise the bar for the rest of then as his contract is likely to be the most lucrative, which can only help them if he raises the bar for the entire market.

Just like Marner wanted Matthews to go first to benefit himself in future contract negotiations.

Dubas should tell Ferris and Sakic that Shanny won't let him sign Mitch until after Rantanen signs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dubas should tell Ferris and Sakic that Shanny won't let him sign Mitch until after Rantanen signs.

No I think Dubas should just ignore Marner and build the team without him for the upcoming season.

Just assume he's sitting this one out.

Without Marner, probably an opportunity for Bracco to show if he's good enough to make the move.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Less stress in Florida.
Better weather.
Collect a pay cheque with much less scrutiny.
Lower taxes.

I know where I'd rather play.
If you were among the super rich...net worth of over 30MM US, Toronto has the second highest population in North America. I see the attraction of places like Tampa but if you have cash, Toronto has all the amenities and a diversity of spots to live out your life in super luxury. It isnt a bad place to hang your hat and call home when you are a young rich person looking to do stuff on off days.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Trade this little ****, and his entourage, to the highest bidder.

Enough is enough already. The crest on the front of the jersey is far more important than the name on the back. I'd rather my Leafs not win a cup ever again than to be held hostage by Matthews, Nylander, and now Marner. We need TEAM players, not selfish ME, ME, ME players!
Do you not see the the irony of your proposal?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

This is absolutely true. Whereas I am older, I was younger once. I would prefer Tampa now but totally understand the attraction of being young and rich in TO

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Stamkos isn’t old

The Leafs were awful when he was a free agent. Not even close to a rational argument for this.

I'm not even saying it is clearly better to play in Toronto, just saying there are pros and cons both ways.

Tavares signed in Toronto despite reports of 13 mil elsewhere. There clearly is some pros to playing in Toronto.

Reactions: Menzinger

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
No I think Dubas should just ignore Marner and build the team without him for the upcoming season.

Just assume he's sitting this one out.

Without Marner, probably an opportunity for Bracco to show if he's good enough to make the move.
Toronto will not go anywhere if it loses players like Marner without a suitable replacement

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Toronto will not go anywhere if it loses players like Marner without a suitable replacement

The loss would be massive this season.

The bright side might be that Dubas rep gets a huge bump that puts a stop to these hostage style negotiations that agents think they can pull on him. The greater good. I would hate to sacrifice this year but I'd quickly forget about it if it meant Dubas started being seen as having cajones among agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad