Confirmed Signing with Link: Marlies Sign Alex Nylander (AHL Contract)

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
He had a run late in the season in Columbus and his skill set is high end with good shooting and finishing ability.

Reportedly the primary problem is work ethic not ability.

If the leafs can get this guy motivated then they might have something here.

That was a fluke if anything. Pretty sure CBJ would have kept him if they saw something in him. If playing in the NHL isn’t motivating enough you don’t belong there.

I’ve lost all hope in him, unfortunately.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The late season surge was interesting and if he has chemistry with his brother, even more interesting.

It's an AHL contract but you can try to see how he looks in pre-season with William.

Reactions: Ciao

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Then why not just make it a 2-way contract, if you need to call him up you can.
The only thing that I can think of is that if Alex fails to make the Leafs out of camp, they can assign him to the Marlies without waivers. It would then be Alex's choice of where to go if NHL teams were interested. He pretty much gets to remain an NHL free agent while probably get a high AHL salary with the Marlies. It hasn't been unusual for the Marlies to pay $400,000 or $500,000 a year for a guy like Nylander.

Reactions: Ciao

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Used to watch him play in Rochester.

Could look good a couple shifts, showed why he was a first round talent. Most shifts he was invisible, however, and that was frustrating to watch.

1722266219952.png

Perhaps he's matured and can apply himself better these days.

I'd be surprised though.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
He dont have any personal qualities for anything other then being a Guy in top 6 even if he could score its not worth much in terms of helping the team in other ways. Feels like a diva.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
The only thing that I can think of is that if Alex fails to make the Leafs out of camp, they can assign him to the Marlies without waivers. It would then be Alex's choice of where to go if NHL teams were interested. He pretty much gets to remain an NHL free agent while probably get a high AHL salary with the Marlies. It hasn't been unusual for the Marlies to pay $400,000 or $500,000 a year for a guy like Nylander.

So kind of like a PTO but he does have a paid job to fall back on if that doesn't work out?

Seems like a good deal for the Leafs.

Reactions: Dog

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So kind of like a PTO but he does have a paid job to fall back on if that doesn't work out?

Seems like a good deal for the Leafs.

Nothing like a PTO. People shouldn’t make more out of this. He signed an AHL deal with the Marlies. That’s the extent of it. He is a good AHL player, perhaps it should just stay that way. I'd be shocked if he plays for the Leafs.

Reactions: Chainshot

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
curious if he signed an AHL with any other club would we have a thread on it?
If Louis Crevier and Isaak Phillips (who and who?) get threads for signing, Alex Nylander certainly does. Most people have heard of him, he was a 1st round pick, had a bit of a run with Columbus, and he's signing with the organization of his brother who is a star player. Sounds thread-worthy to me.

Why gatekeep what deserves a thread? HFBoards has a big server, it can handle all the threads people throw at it. Who cares if there are sometimes extra threads? Just don't read them.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Thought for sure he'd get a 2 way deal at least.

Guess it leaves him open to sign with any team mid season if they run into a bunch of injury troubles?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Wonder if A.Nylander forced himself to Toronto (with the help of his brother?), don't think Toronto wanted to give him a NHL deal as it's not certain he's a everyday NHL player, but was okay signing a AHL deal. Seems surprising a lesser team wouldn't throw a flyer on him to see if he can put it all together.

Perks for him are he gets to live/be with his brother and the Marlies obviously play out of Toronto instead of some smaller cities, which is a bonus if you have to play in the AHL.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Thought for sure he'd get a 2 way deal at least.

Guess it leaves him open to sign with any team mid season if they run into a bunch of injury troubles?
I'm sure he'll make more than the lower end of most two-way NHL contracts, and no chance of having to move due to a waiver claim.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Wonder if A.Nylander forced himself to Toronto (with the help of his brother?), don't think Toronto wanted to give him a NHL deal as it's not certain he's a everyday NHL player, but was okay signing a AHL deal. Seems surprising a lesser team wouldn't throw a flyer on him to see if he can put it all together.

Perks for him are he gets to live/be with his brother and the Marlies obviously play out of Toronto instead of some smaller cities, which is a bonus if you have to play in the AHL.
You really think that Toronto is better than Rochester or Scranton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad