Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2021/22

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Interestingly, Akhtyamov had his season end in the VHL but is now starting for Irbis Kazan in the MHL, where Peksa had previously played virtually every game for them. I would have rather Peksa get all of the action there, I really wish they were on different teams. I don't understand the strategy behind drafting two goalie prospects in the same Russian organization, would love to hear the story on how they decided to draft Peksa.

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
Did this actually happen? I remember suggesting turning Duszak into a forward a year back because I though he had no chance as an NHL defender.
marlies have been playing 7 d the last few games so i assume he rotated in as a winger at some point

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
2 more assists for Holmberg today. This time both on ES.
Holmberg has the highest PPG of any drafted SHL prospect and is 2nd in total points among drafted players. 33pts in 39GP...

Does he even need AHL seasoning at this point? Probably plays with the Marlies regardless, due to Anderson, Steeves, Robertson all being done at that level and crowding things.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Holmberg has the highest PPG of any drafted SHL prospect and is 2nd in total points among drafted players. 33pts in 39GP...

Does he even need AHL seasoning at this point? Probably plays with the Marlies regardless, due to Anderson, Steeves, Robertson all being done at that level and crowding things.

It's what I've been saying. This is a guy who's coming over with dominant production in the 3rd best league in the world as a 1C and has shown to be a play driver both ways.

Engvall took 1.5 years of seasoning in the AHL, but was 1 year younger when he came over and he barely played in the SHL before coming. He had half the season Holmberg has had this year. He's gonna either surprise casuals in camp or he's gonna be one of the first callups next year. He's so, so good.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It's what I've been saying. This is a guy who's coming over with dominant production in the 3rd best league in the world as a 1C and has shown to be a play driver both ways.

Engvall took 1.5 years of seasoning in the AHL, but was 1 year younger when he came over and he barely played in the SHL before coming. He had half the season Holmberg has had this year. He's gonna either surprise casuals in camp or he's gonna be one of the first callups next year. He's so, so good.

Do you know when his season will end, assuming his team goes all the way? Asking because I'm curious if he could be called over to finish the season with the Marlies.

Reactions: teddygmr

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Do you know when his season will end, assuming his team goes all the way? Asking because I'm curious if he could be called over to finish the season with the Marlies.

Season ends Mar 15. Vaxjo was 1st OA last season and they won the championship.

Right now they're in 5th, so they'll get a bye to the QF (they have a pre-QF 3 game series 7v10 and 8v9 matchup to see who gets the final two spots). They have a tough match-up against Lulea & Wallstedt as of today. Realistically the earliest he'd come over is early April and that's if they lose. If they make it passed the first it's probably safe to assume he wouldn't play many or any regular season AHL games this season.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Did this actually happen? I remember suggesting turning Duszak into a forward a year back because I though he had no chance as an NHL defender.
It did happen. They are short on forwards right now so they have been using 7D. Last game they tried Duszak at wing on the fourth line. He was the best player on the ice from my view based on what I watched. He scored a goal and grabbed an apple. His line with Clune and Douglas scored again later in the game. He moved around to a couple other lines during the game and won a faceoff.

Even if he didn't factor into the Leafs plans long-term, based on a one game sample I think he'd be closer to the NHL if he made the switch and he could see NHL games.

Reactions: aingefan

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
It did happen. They are short on forwards right now so they have been using 7D. Last game they tried Duszak at wing on the fourth line. He was the best player on the ice from my view based on what I watched. He scored a goal and grabbed an apple. His line with Clune and Douglas scored again later in the game. He moved around to a couple other lines during the game and won a faceoff.

Even if he didn't factor into the Leafs plans long-term, based on a one game sample I think he'd be closer to the NHL if he made the switch and he could see NHL games.
The Leafs converted Wendel Clark and Gary Leeman from Defense to Wing at the start of their NHL careers. Both played defense in Junior

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Season ends Mar 15. Vaxjo was 1st OA last season and they won the championship.

Right now they're in 5th, so they'll get a bye to the QF (they have a pre-QF 3 game series 7v10 and 8v9 matchup to see who gets the final two spots). They have a tough match-up against Lulea & Wallstedt as of today. Realistically the earliest he'd come over is early April and that's if they lose. If they make it passed the first it's probably safe to assume he wouldn't play many or any regular season AHL games this season.

Thank you. I'm asking because of his success at C this year, from what I glean here, and was wondering if he might be an option to center the 4th line, I do not see Spezza able to do it successfully. My ignorance leads me to suspect Holmberg might currently be the best option in our organization to fill in at 4C.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Thank you. I'm asking because of his success at C this year, from what I glean here, and was wondering if he might be an option to center the 4th line, I do not see Spezza able to do it successfully. My ignorance leads me to suspect Holmberg might currently be the best option in our organization to fill in at 4C.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could play 4C today but I can't see it until next season at the earliest. Just no reason to throw him directly into the fire for whats not likely to be an improvement and alienate Spezza. He's been a W up until this season though so don't be surprised if it's more like an Engvall style of C, but hopefully he can stick and be our 3C of the future.

Reactions: meefer and aingefan

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The Leafs converted Wendel Clark and Gary Leeman from Defense to Wing at the start of their NHL careers. Both played defense in Junior

And even more notably, Red Kelly, who had been a six time first team all star on D and the first Norris Trophy winner. Punch Imlach switched him to centre to counteract the Habs Jean Beliveau.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

I think Holmberg's game is one that can adapt to any role as well. We saw it in the Olympics where he was very effective in a reduced capacity. He was larely given 4th line duties, but I noticed him almost every shift. He was always engaged in the play.

I really don't see why he wouldn't be able to make that same adjustment in NA pro. NHL will 100% be a big step up from the SHL, and he likely needs at least the remainder of the Marlies season this year or a training camp to get fully acclimated to the pace of the NA game. But we've seen it so many times with Swedes and Finns in the past, they just know how to adjust.

Holmberg seems like a no brainer to be a Leaf next year IMO, but I doubt he will be available to us this season. But really you never know. Like you said, his production is remarkable and at this point he has a very strong resume. Olympian, SHL "Conn Smythe", SHL champion, and now highest PPG for drafted SHL players.

All things considered, I am in agreeance with you. This is a player that is more NHL ready than most of us understand. He's not afraid of playing the hard way, and ultimately could be a very good middle 6 option down the line for us.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

I know he's been a bit disappointing this year compared to last year. But he's not exactly been given the same opportunity to thrive either.

Rapid decline on what looked like a relatively decent free wallet. There is a raw NHL skillset there IMO. I wonder what has gone wrong

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Interesting call-up. I like Hollowell but it feels like he's running out of time with the Leafs. He got re-signed recently and he's a solid depth option. Perhaps this is just a paycheck thing.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Interesting call-up. I like Hollowell but it feels like he's running out of time with the Leafs.
I'll be honest, it completely surprised me.

Incoming about him being 5'9" and 170 lbs. lol

Reactions: kerk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad