Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2021/22

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Obviously a far greater severity than the hit on Ty Voit, but the same logic applies on this play.

Was Tomas just admiring his pass? Should he have had more awareness that Jannsen was on the ice?

"Admiring your pass" was something we were taught not to do when we were kids because the one dude on the other team that hit puberty at 10 was literally trying to end people's lives with an elbow to the cage. It shouldn't have been a thing then, and it sure as f*** shouldn't be a thing ~20 years later.

The fact that it's 2022 and it's still a topic for conversation in junior hockey is such a f***ing shame on minor league coaches and parents. There's no f***ing way that guy had any reason to hit voit there besides an attempt to injure.

FriendlyGiant

Jul 28, 2006
I believe Dimitri Ovchinnikov was supposed to come over to play with the Marlies beginning in March. I'm wondering if the isolation of Russia (due to their invasion of Ukraine) is going to prevent him from coming over. Any insights?

Reactions: teddygmr

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
"Admiring your pass" was something we were taught not to do when we were kids because the one dude on the other team that hit puberty at 10 was literally trying to end people's lives with an elbow to the cage. It shouldn't have been a thing then, and it sure as f*** shouldn't be a thing ~20 years later.

The fact that it's 2022 and it's still a topic for conversation in junior hockey is such a f***ing shame on minor league coaches and parents. There's no f***ing way that guy had any reason to hit voit there besides an attempt to injure.
Yup, It was the same thing in my minor hockey as well. They used to play the rock em' sock em' videos for us and basically show guys getting decapitated with their heads down cutting across the blue line or wheeling around the net as evidence on what not to do.

I still think you should keep your head up when cutting across the ice, and wheeling around the net because I genuinely believe there is still room in the game for a clean open ice hit. But that is just not one of those plays to me. To me the big difference here was Voit didn't even have the puck. The puck was on his teammates blade at the time of contact. I know things can get muddied in slow-mo so I will try not to crucify the kid who laid the hit too bad, but like you said, the guy who hit Voit is showing a clear attempt to injure there IMO. He's committed to that hit long before the play on the puck was made by Voit. He's got the opportunity to back off if he's tracking the play, but instead he steps up and makes a late hit. I'm fairly confident he never even looked at the puck, not because he lost track, but more so because the hit was the only thing on his mind from the start of the play.

I imagine Voit is one of those players that guys want to light up at times. No one likes being made a fool of by a smaller player. Who knows what happened leading up to the play, but I just view that hit as completely predatory.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I believe Dimitri Ovchinnikov was supposed to come over to play with the Marlies beginning in March. I'm wondering if the isolation of Russia (due to their invasion of Ukraine) is going to prevent him from coming over. Any insights?

Are the Russians not allowed to travel?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Are the Russians not allowed to travel?
I was just wondering the same thing.

I have a feeling there will be some very lengthy delays for Dmitry's arrival, if he comes at all at this point. So sad on many so many fronts. I feel terrible for everyone directly involved. All things considered Hockey just seems so secondary at this point. I don't even really care if Dmitry gets denied entry, as much as I'd love to see him play. I just couldn't bring myself to the point of complaining over our Russian prospect not getting a Canadian working permit with what's going on in Ukraine right now. If he gets his Visa, great, If not, hopefully we see you one day Dmitry.

Reactions: fahad203

MatthewNylander

Oct 17, 2017
I was just wondering the same thing.

I have a feeling there will be some very lengthy delays for Dmitry's arrival, if he comes at all at this point. So sad on many so many fronts. I feel terrible for everyone directly involved. All things considered Hockey just seems so secondary at this point. I don't even really care if Dmitry gets denied entry, as much as I'd love to see him play. I just couldn't bring myself to the point of complaining over our Russian prospect not getting a Canadian working permit with what's going on in Ukraine right now. If he gets his Visa, great, If not, hopefully we see you one day Dmitry.
Russian planes aren’t allowed in Canada , but not sure where they can fly and get transfers .

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I mean there is a real chance that Russians won't be able to get visas. Russian draft stock outside the elite talent is going to drop extremely fast.

You would be betting on it being a long enough term issue.

I sincerely doubt that will happen. Because if they do, they are not just stopping new guys... They are stopping everyone, which would include some top end NHL talent.

I don't think it will be a factor. Might be a bigger pain in the ass to get a visa though.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
You would be betting on it being a long enough term issue.

I sincerely doubt that will happen. Because if they do, they are not just stopping new guys... They are stopping everyone, which would include some top end NHL talent.

I don't think it will be a factor. Might be a bigger pain in the ass to get a visa though.

HE is on the Marlie roster

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
HE is on the Marlie roster

He isn't in North America yet though.

[Ovchinnikov’s timeline] is totally based on his visa process. Reid Mitchell (Toronto’s Director of Hockey and Scouting Operations) will work to try and get that done as soon as possible. It’s made more difficult with vaccine availability in Russia and which ones are compliant with coming into Canada, so we have to sort through all of that and work through the work permits. I believe he’s vaccinated now, we’re just waiting for the work permit which should be a couple of weeks and then we’ll get him up to speed with the Marlies.

I would imagine, that this is now something quite problematic, given what's transpired since then.

Reactions: FreeBird

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Russian planes aren’t allowed in Canada , but not sure where they can fly and get transfers .

I would guess it shouldn't be that difficult to fly to St. Petersburg, get a train to Helsinki and then fly from Helsinki to Toronto probably with a layover somewhere. It would likely add a day to travel time as it's a more complex routing, but I don't think it would be enough to prevent him from coming over.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
So much for getting Jordan Frasca and Taylor Gauthier on AHL deals. They attended our rookie camp this year.

Both signed ELCs with Pittsburgh.

That's fine. Not worth ELCs to us right now.

Reactions: uncleben

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
So much for getting Jordan Frasca and Taylor Gauthier on AHL deals. They attended our rookie camp this year.

Both signed ELCs with Pittsburgh.

That's fine. Not worth ELCs to us right now.

Anyone that didn't say today that you like out of the CHL on an ELC or AHL deal.

I've had a ton of looks at Emmett Sproule (and Joe Carroll for that matter), and I'd say he's honestly had a borderline ELC worthy season. I think a lack of pedigree up until this season probably limits him to an AHL deal though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Anyone that didn't say today that you like out of the CHL on an ELC or AHL deal.

I've had a ton of looks at Emmett Sproule (and Joe Carroll for that matter), and I'd say he's honestly had a borderline ELC worthy season. I think a lack of pedigree up until this season probably limits him to an AHL deal though.

No. The only ones I have are out of the NCAA and KHL.

Tye Kartye was a priority AHL contract, and he signed with Seattle. Gauthier and Frasca were two others.

There are a few other guys like that, but none are getting ELC's from me.

Reactions: uncleben

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

You'd have to wonder if they'll give this kid a look at a higher level. Seems like he is very clearly too good for the ECHL.

I know there is a bit of a log jam on the Marlies with Woll/Hutch/Kallgren and that it is unlikely to change this year. But I really just hope this kid doesn't get discouraged by being in the ECHL. I think you could make the argument that he is the best goaltending prospect we have, or potentially the one with the most NHL upside. I would hate to see him be mishandled to the point where he gets frustrated.

That said, I would prefer him play every night in Newfoundland vs. being the 2/3 goalie on the Marlies. Just feel like he's warranted an internal move to make room for him at this point. Maybe not right at this moment, but certainly by this offseason.

Reactions: teddygmr

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You'd have to wonder if they'll give this kid a look at a higher level. Seems like he is very clearly too good for the ECHL.

I know there is a bit of a log jam on the Marlies with Woll/Hutch/Kallgren and that it is unlikely to change this year. But I really just hope this kid doesn't get discouraged by being in the ECHL. I think you could make the argument that he is the best goaltending prospect we have, or potentially the one with the most NHL upside. I would hate to see him be mishandled to the point where he gets frustrated.

That said, I would prefer him play every night in Newfoundland vs. being the 2/3 goalie on the Marlies. Just feel like he's warranted an internal move to make room for him at this point. Maybe not right at this moment, but certainly by this offseason.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an ELC this summer. Not sure what will happen with the other goaltenders but he seems to be progressing well. Could be the Marlies back-up.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an ELC this summer. Not sure what will happen with the other goaltenders but he seems to be progressing well. Could be the Marlies back-up.
Ya I'd say that'd definitely the next step. I personally am not overly high on Joeseph Woll, but the organization clearly thinks otherwise after giving him a 3 year extension. That's not to say I don't believe he can be an NHL goalie, I just view him as a James Reimer maximum potential. Nothing about his game is overly impressive, but in the right environment he might be able to succeed. That obviously could change, but at this current moment I don't see a true #1 in Joe Woll.

I don't know if Petru can be that guy, but he certainly has the build, draft pedigree, and linear growth that you'd like to see from a goalie. Would love to see what he can do at a higher level next year.

I recognize Woll has the build and draft pedigree, I just don't know if I've seen enough growth in his game just yet. Still lots of time for him. He's still very young in terms of goaltending

Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad