Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not sure how that's supposed to be a positive. "NHL superstar takes less term to extract every possible dollar and ensure he coninues to be paid more than better players!"

Leaf fans: "Yay?!"

It isn't a positive, but that would be my interpretation.

"Give me same percentage.
I'm not asking for a raise, just maintain my percentage of the Cap."

Some will buy in ...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not sure how that's supposed to be a positive. "NHL superstar takes less term to extract every possible dollar and ensure he coninues to be paid more than better players!"

Leaf fans: "Yay?!"

It's not really a positive... it kind of sucks... A shame that all they care about is the money they can get.

Reactions: Al4tdsBundy

horner

May 22, 2007
It certainly gives him the option of leaving.
And he will blame it on the fact that we haven't done enough to win a cup.

It's not really a positive... it kind of sucks... A shame that all they care about is the money they can get.
Money meams more to him than a cup.
If he dosnt win a cup he will have all this money and leaf record but he will never be thought of in the same reach as Crosby I've and extra in the hockey world

Maybe that is good enough for him

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Money meams more to him than a cup

A Cup would be great for him/anyone.

$100mm doesn't take any luck, better teammates, a great coach or fairness.

Would you give up $30mm for better odds?

See, even if he played for $1mm per year, odds are still low he'll ever win the Cup.

#2 GOAT goal scorer is likely retiring with the most goals scored over 20 years with 1 Cup,

and

$158mm.

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Yeah I think we all need to not get carried away in the hype. Like would it be great if he walked into camp and just takes a top 6 or 9 spot in the forward core and doesn't look back? For sure....is it likely? Is it going to be best for him long term development wise? Hard to say. I am sure he will get his 9 games but I still hedge towards him spending most of his year in juniors next year.
My concern with this is a player cN develop bad habits if they stay below their level of skill too long.

He is playing a very solid two-way game and PKing for the league championship winning team. He had a 30 something long point streak in the regular season and a four game stretch in the playoffs where he had 15pts.

Regular season MVP, Playoff MVP, wasn't scored on even ONCE 5v5 playing for team Canada.

Man I wish the AHL was an option but it unfortunately isn't. I say if he is guaranteed 12-13 minutes of ice time a night in the show to start, he'd be well served developing in the show from here on out.

This is coming from a guy who would love to go see more of him for 20$ a seat in the junior level. But that's just me being greedy.

He'll be a full-time Leaf next year. I hope.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
My concern with this is a player cN develop bad habits if they stay below their level of skill too long.

He is playing a very solid two-way game and PKing for the league championship winning team. He had a 30 something long point streak in the regular season and a four game stretch in the playoffs where he had 15pts.

Regular season MVP, Playoff MVP, wasn't scored on even ONCE 5v5 playing for team Canada.

Man I wish the AHL was an option but it unfortunately isn't. I say if he is guaranteed 12-13 minutes of ice time a night in the show to start, he'd be well served developing in the show from here on out.

This is coming from a guy who would love to go see more of him for 20$ a seat in the junior level. But that's just me being greedy.

You mean 2025-2026 season.

So not next year, the next season.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

This one is tricky, I generally would prefer to overbake a prospect by an extra year in the CHL or AHL and not rushing them up. This one is different for me:

(a) Cowan is not AHL eligible

(b) What more could he learn in the O and is there the potential for bad habits?

(c) The Leafs need to start integrating some low cost contributors over the next year or two and for reasons (a) and (b) he could be ahead of Minten, Grebenkin, Hirvonen, And Tverberg.

I think there is an approach that could work; either let him win a spot and earn ice time or figure out how to develop him in the NHL with managed games played and ice time. Maybe he plays 40 games up and down the line up as an injury fill in, or the second of back to backs? Maybe we let him go to the World Juniors and get a few games in that way? Maybe he has an 'injury" and can do a Marlie conditioning stint?

Noah Gregor played 63 games for us last year averaging just under 11.5 minutes per game. Worst case scenario, couldn't Cowan fill that role?

..or maybe he clicks with Matthews and wins a Calder?

Can we manage the downside with him while giving us a shot at the upside?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
The way I see it there is next to no reason to send Cowan back to junior unless it is with a commitment from the Knights that he exclusively plays center. Otherwise, what's the expectation for him? "Hey kid go get....a 50 game point streak and put on 10 lbs of muscle". I'd rather have him play 39 games with us, crush the gym with the Leafs staff, use the AHL conditioning stint option a la Shane Wright, world Juniors, etc. On the off-chance he comes in and absolutely belongs in the league then hey, just play the kid.

There is nothing left for him to individually accomplish in the OHL with the exception of him shifting to and adapting to playing center full-time.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The way I see it there is next to no reason to send Cowan back to junior unless it is with a commitment from the Knights that he exclusively plays center. Otherwise, what's the expectation for him? "Hey kid go get....a 50 game point streak and put on 10 lbs of muscle". I'd rather have him play 39 games with us, crush the gym with the Leafs staff, use the AHL conditioning stint option a la Shane Wright, world Juniors, etc. On the off-chance he comes in and absolutely belongs in the league then hey, just play the kid.

There is nothing left for him to individually accomplish in the OHL with the exception of him shifting to and adapting to playing center full-time.
There's lots to accomplish at that level for him still. He's had 1 good season in Junior and now he's a lock to be on the Leafs? Didn't have a good World Juniors and didn't win gold for Canada there. Lost in the Memorial Cup. Hasn't hit 100 points in the OHL. London could be a very dominate team next year, especially if Bonk also stays, so him hitting 100 points and winning the Memorial Cup are things he can accomplish. Canada should have a pretty good roster next year at the World Juniors too so winning Gold is another thing he could accomplish. I think him doing all that and then possibly joining the Leafs for the 2025/26 season is best imo, especially if we plan on bringing back Marner and sign him to an extension. If he doesn't make the Leafs then at least he could play for the Marlies. If he was able to play for the Marlies right away and not have it be Leafs or Knights next season then I'd be all for him leaving Junior but that isn't the case.

Reactions: Jeypic

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
There's lots to accomplish at that level for him still. He's had 1 good season in Junior and now he's a lock to be on the Leafs? Didn't have a good World Juniors and didn't win gold for Canada there. Lost in the Memorial Cup. Hasn't hit 100 points in the OHL. London could be a very dominate team next year, especially if Bonk also stays, so him hitting 100 points and winning the Memorial Cup are things he can accomplish. Canada should have a pretty good roster next year at the World Juniors too so winning Gold is another thing he could accomplish. I think him doing all that and then possibly joining the Leafs for the 2025/26 season is best imo, especially if we plan on bringing back Marner and sign him to an extension. If he doesn't make the Leafs then at least he could play for the Marlies. If he was able to play for the Marlies right away and not have it be Leafs or Knights next season then I'd be all for him leaving Junior but that isn't the case.
he did ok in the world juniors .he wasnt used properly and his linemates couldnt or wouldnt pass

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
he did ok in the world juniors .he wasnt used properly and his linemates couldnt or wouldnt pass
and he was an underager... very few do well.

Imagine any of us, declaring what we think is best for him, based on very limited knowledge. Declaring he should be on the Leafs, or Should be in the OHL is kind of silly... Let the kid have a summer, go to camp, and if he earns nine games, let him play... if he's a NHL player... let him play... if he's not ready, send him back... it's that simple, it's up to him, not some Armchair QB's on the internet.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Imagine any of us, declaring what we think is best for him, based on very limited knowledge. Declaring he should be on the Leafs, or Should be in the OHL is kind of silly... Let the kid have a summer, go to camp, and if he earns nine games, let him play... if he's a NHL player... let him play... if he's not ready, send him back... it's that simple, it's up to him, not some Armchair QB's on the internet.
exactly .as long as he develops ,knies learnd alot lets minten and cowan will also

Reactions: NCoRe

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If Marner moves on, I keep Cowan in junior.

If Marner stays, I'm running a

Grebyonkin - Minten - Cowan third line all year because the season would be a wash at that point.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Yes, extremely simple.

He earns a position or he doesn't earn a position.

Of course we can speak with authority about something that has already happened.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
When the Leafs do need to rebuild or retool hopefully they change their philosophy to build a good defense core in the draft before drafting lots of forwards.

Hard to say it was a bad thing to hit on Marner and Nylander, but it certainly took away more high first rounders for defenders.

Our last 10 first picks of the draft were;

Cowan
Minten
Knies
Amriov
Robertson
Sandin
Liljegren
Matthews
Marner
Nylander

Definitely need much more defenders in here.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
When the Leafs do need to rebuild or retool hopefully they change their philosophy to build a good defense core in the draft before drafting lots of forwards.

Hard to say it was a bad thing to hit on Marner and Nylander, but it certainly took away more high first rounders for defenders.

Our last 10 first picks of the draft were;

Cowan
Minten
Knies
Amriov
Robertson
Sandin
Liljegren
Matthews
Marner
Nylander

Definitely need much more defenders in here.

Just take the BPA, and we have done decent in that regard.

Cowan's stock has skyrocketed.

Minten is trending well as a potential bottom 9 C who can be played in a defensive role and chip in offensively here and there.

Knies looks like a homerun where he was picked.

Amirov I won't argue, but I had very high hopes.

Robertson is still only 22 and is putting up decent points, no issues with him in the 2nd round.

Ironically I think Liljegren/Sandin have been some of our worst first picks.

I have no issue with our drafting and think we've done well.

Unless you're spending a top 10 pick on a D you likely aren't getting a top 2 defender, so I don't mind spending the picks we have on the BPA.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hildeby played 41 games this season, almost double his previous high (adult).

Remember when people were saying the grind of the NHL season was impacting Knies?

Artur Akhtyamov
17 games KHL
19 games VHL
21 games VHL playoffs
VHL Best Goaltender

Vyacheslav Peksa
19 games Growlers

So was it him or the team? Ouch.

Woll ... graduated.
If this guy could stay healthy.

Ian Scott ... so much time and effort ... poor kid.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can’t help but laugh at all these people with this narrative that Easton Cowan is some kind of playoff performing saviour for the Leafs while Marner is a playoff dud. Let’s look at both of their playoff performances at the same age for the same team. Marner outperformed him, Marner had arguably the greatest playoff performance in CHL history. You never know if they will be a good playoff performer until you see them in the nhl playoffs

We’re doing Marner vs Junior comparables now?

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad