Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I can’t help but laugh at all these people with this narrative that Easton Cowan is some kind of playoff performing saviour for the Leafs while Marner is a playoff dud. Let’s look at both of their playoff performances at the same age for the same team. Marner outperformed him, Marner had arguably the greatest playoff performance in CHL history. You never know if they will be a good playoff performer until you see them in the nhl playoffs
Anyone mentioning these two in the same sentence, or insinuating Cowan can replace Marner, is a complete casual.

Cowan could be an integral core piece long term but his impact and style will be totally different from Marner. Marner was also way more dominant in the OHL.

I’m still of the mindset to send him back to London next year after a 9 game trial. That’s obviously dependent on his camp. His resume is more shiny than his actual ISO game tape IMO. People will list his accolades as indication he’s done with the OHL, but I still see a lot of untapped offensive potential that would benefit from another season in junior. Has nothing to do with PPG ratio for me.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah I think we all need to not get carried away in the hype. Like would it be great if he walked into camp and just takes a top 6 or 9 spot in the forward core and doesn't look back? For sure....is it likely? Is it going to be best for him long term development wise? Hard to say. I am sure he will get his 9 games but I still hedge towards him spending most of his year in juniors next year.

Reactions: LeafChief

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah I think we all need to not get carried away in the hype. Like would it be great if he walked into camp and just takes a top 6 or 9 spot in the forward core and doesn't look back? For sure....is it likely? Is it going to be best for him long term development wise? Hard to say. I am sure he will get his 9 games but I still hedge towards him spending most of his year in juniors next year.

Funny, it might be more important for him to make the team than it was for marner.

More important for the Cap Strapped team than the player.

Perhaps the team misses the Bozak leadership?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Anyone mentioning these two in the same sentence, or insinuating Cowan can replace Marner, is a complete casual.

Cowan could be an integral core piece long term but his impact and style will be totally different from Marner. Marner was also way more dominant in the OHL.

I’m still of the mindset to send him back to London next year after a 9 game trial. That’s obviously dependent on his camp. His resume is more shiny than his actual ISO game tape IMO. People will list his accolades as indication he’s done with the OHL, but I still see a lot of untapped offensive potential that would benefit from another season in junior. Has nothing to do with PPG ratio for me.
I agree with you in that people should not be viewing Cowan as an immediate replacement for Marner. No 18 year old is.

However, I am not sure we have to send him back this year. I do worry that his development gets slowed by another year in the OHL and I also think the Leafs might benefit from having him around. I think he could be a contributor this year.

I would develop a plan for him. Let him play 40 or so NHL games (more of he deserves it) as an injury replacement, second night of back to backs, etc. Give him looks on different roles across all four lines and let him develop on the ice, from the press box and with our world class development team. We also let him go to the World Juniors to have a chance to lead and dominate if he is not a contributor in the NHL.

...I think these 50+ games and being around the team full time might be the best development route. It's also possible he clicks with Matthews and wins a Calder. We need young guys contributing on low cap hits. I think he is our best chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frostitute

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I agree with you in that people should not be viewing Cowan as an immediate replacement for Marner. No 18 year old is.

However, I am not sure we have to send him back this year. I do worry that his development gets slowed by another year in the OHL and I also think the Leafs might benefit from having him around. I think he could be a contributor this year.

I would develop a plan for him. Let him play 40 or so NHL games (more of he deserves it) as an injury replacement, second night of back to backs, etc. Give him looks on different roles across all four lines and let him develop on the ice, from the press box and with our world glass development team. We also let hi go to the juniors to have a chance to lead and dominate if he is not a contributor in the NHL.

...I think these 50+ games and being around the team full time might be the best development route. It's also possible he clicks with Matthews and wins a Calder. We need young guys contributing on low cap hits. I think he is our best chance.
Would you rather this plan or send him back to London and give him a full season playing C? If he can develop as a C that is probably more beneficial to the Leafs long-term.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Would you rather this plan or send him back to London and give him a full season playing C? If he can develop as a C that is probably more beneficial to the Leafs long-term.
That's a good question. I have thought about that as the reason for him to go back. I don't have enough insight as to how his game might translate to C. If our scouts and development team believe he could be a top six NHL C and that another year in the O would help him reach that, then no...I don't think I prefer him in the NHL next year.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That's a good question. I have thought about that as the reason for him to go back. I don't have enough insight as to how his game might translate to C. If our scouts and development team believe he could be a top six NHL C and that another year in the O would help him reach that, then no...I don't think I prefer him in the NHL next year.
From loosely following he played wing most of the year and then transitioned to C in the playoffs/mem cup. I think it would be worthwhile to give him an entire season at C. The only downside is it will take away first line reps from O'Reilly after the Leafs draft him.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I don’t watch Cowan but if he goes to the dirty areas now that’s a very good sign. Something Marner refuses to do in the playoffs and it’s become a trend
Cowan doesn’t go into the dirty areas, he IS more of a perimeter player, but will hit a player when opportunity presents. His offensive game is far more comparable to Nylander.
He rushes the puck in and shoots a lot, but isn’t selfish and will dish off the puck as much as shoot it. Defensively, Marner like with potentially an even better stick on the PK

Bedard played as a winger in JR’s and was put at C in the NHL and mostly overmatched. Cowan doesn’t need to be used at C, unless Tavares gets shifted to LW, but, it’s hard/silly to move your best faceoff guy to wing.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Cowan doesn’t go into the dirty areas, he IS more of a perimeter player, but will hit a player when opportunity presents. His offensive game is far more comparable to Nylander.
He rushes the puck in and shoots a lot, but isn’t selfish and will dish off the puck as much as shoot it. Defensively, Marner like with potentially an even better stick on the PK

Bedard played as a winger in JR’s and was put at C in the NHL and mostly overmatched. Cowan doesn’t need to be used at C, unless Tavares gets shifted to LW, but, it’s hard/silly to move your best faceoff guy to wing.
What do the Leafs do after Tavares?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
What do the Leafs do after Tavares?
Hope Minten develops for starters, as he has the defensive acumen on the defensive side, and if he can create offence, he can be the future #2 and there are a ton of ufa C in 25/26 if he isn’t ready/doesn’t

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
There's a couple guys looking really good who might make an impact in the NHL.

I don't follow the prospects much. So don't know a lot about them. I honestly wouldn't know any of these guys if they walked up and punched me in the face.

My main concern is they're all the exact same type player.

I'm not enamored with the fact they keep drafting skilled forwards with their first picks seemingly every year. As exciting as Cowan's season has been there's only so many of these guys a team can use. Thanks to the Leafs the whole world now knows it maxes out at three.

If they're gonna keep running it back with the same four forwards they may as well use every pick they have on defensemen and goalies.

Just pick the highest ranked defensemen available in the first three rounds. The highest ranked goalie available in rounds four and five. Then the biggest baddest 6'6" bully of a defenseman available in the last two rounds.

Eventually the roster will balance itself out.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I don't follow the prospects much. So don't know a lot about them. I honestly wouldn't know any of these guys if they walked up and punched me in the face.

I'm not enamored with the fact they keep drafting skilled forwards with their first picks seemingly every year. As exciting as Cowan's season has been there's only so many of these guys a team can use. Thanks to the Leafs the whole world now knows it maxes out at three.

If they're gonna keep running it back with the same four forwards they may as well use every pick they have on defensemen and goalies.

Just pick the highest ranked defensemen available in the first three rounds. The highest ranked goalie available in rounds four and five. Then the biggest baddest 6'6" bully of a defenseman available in the last two rounds.

"I don't know any of the teams prospects but they are all the same."

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019

You do realize that the team has very few draft choices over the next few years, so they wouldn't be able to execute your strategy, even if they wanted to.

Hope Minten develops for starters, as he has the defensive acumen on the defensive side, and if he can create offence, he can be the future #2 and there are a ton of ufa C in 25/26 if he isn’t ready/doesn’t
I think it's safe to assume his ceiling is 3C, but we'll see if his offensive game can improve. He didn't really take off in junior.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I can't tell if Cowan is just tired but he's been absolutely horrible so far in the memorial cup finals. Just looks so slow and out of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad