Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Would have been fine to give him a contract to give him some development rope. he’s shown some steady but not eye popping offensive progress.

His size at the next level is an obvious concern.

Wonder if they try to get him on an AHL deal instead

Seven years from now, after going through four organizations, he’ll suddenly have a 20 goal NHL season and the fan base will go nuts.

Given our lack of prospects and picks, you’d think we’d keep all of them, even if the probability of success was low.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Would have been fine to give him a contract to give him some development rope. he’s shown some steady but not eye popping offensive progress.

His size at the next level is an obvious concern.

Wonder if they try to get him on an AHL deal instead
He'll re-enter the draft if he doesn't sign. If he gets passed over again then maybe.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not really a fan of Lisowsky but with the lack of picks in recent years you’d think we wouldn’t be hurting for contract slots to give this guy a remote shot.
We are at 33 contracts before any trades.

8 RFA, but I doubt Ellis, Petruzelli are made an offer... Steeves probably, Robertson, Liljegren, Dewar, Lajoie and Gregor are all likely made offers... so call that 6...

Out of the UFA... Jones and Domi are the most likely. Clifford maybe... to continue to protect the guys in the minors and be a veteran influence... so that's 41 contracts..... plenty of room.

Reactions: uncleben

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

8 RFA, but I doubt Ellis, Petruzelli are made an offer... Steeves probably, Robertson, Liljegren, Dewar, Lajoie and Gregor are all likely made offers... so call that 6...

Out of the UFA... Jones and Domi are the most likely. Clifford maybe... to continue to protect the guys in the minors and be a veteran influence... so that's 41 contracts..... plenty of room.
i would not waste a roster spot on Gregor ...he's like a bubble hockey player, goes back and forth linear and shoots wide more often than not, and otherwise useless ...you dont keep a player just because he's 'quick'

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah. Like don’t get me wrong I think a guy like Lisowsky is beyond a long shot. But just seems like with the dearth of prospect bodies from small draft classes, if there was ever a time to just give guys more rope it would be now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i would not waste a roster spot on Gregor ...he's like a bubble hockey player, goes back and forth linear and shoots wide more often than not, and otherwise useless ...you dont keep a player just because he's 'quick'

Yeah Gregor kinda sucks. I don’t think we need a roster full of no personality light weights who are “versatile” at doing nothing.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I've been corrected... Lajoie is not actually a RFA.. that's an error on Capfriendly. So chances are, he won't be brought back... apparently some veteran AHL rules too.

So maybe 40 contracts.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I would have given him a shot. Not like we are overflowing with prospects.
We have 3 expiring prospects this year and we're apparently letting them all walk

Brandon Lisowsky, Mikey Koster, Veeti Miettinen

None were homeruns, but they'll actually stepped up and are decent depth prospects to have. We're at a real weird stage to just be walking away from prospects... because they're short?
We're low on contracts and we're low on signed prospects. Seems like a perfect time to take a swing on at least one of them...

It certainly does take two to sign a contract, of course.
Maybe they were all offered one?
Some rumours Lisowsky wanted to go somewhere else, where he might have a cleaner shot.
Miettinen signed in Finland, so maybe there was some personal decisions that chose home over the Leafs.
And Koster is doing an extra year of schooling, so he probably made the choice to not turn pro and lose his schooling.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
We have 3 expiring prospects this year and we're apparently letting them all walk

Brandon Lisowsky, Mikey Koster, Veeti Miettinen

None were homeruns, but they'll actually stepped up and are decent depth prospects to have. We're at a real weird stage to just be walking away from prospects... because they're short?
We're low on contracts and we're low on signed prospects. Seems like a perfect time to take a swing on at least one of them...

It certainly does take two to sign a contract, of course.
Maybe they were all offered one?
Some rumours Lisowsky wanted to go somewhere else, where he might have a cleaner shot.
Miettinen signed in Finland, so maybe there was some personal decisions that chose home over the Leafs.
And Koster is doing an extra year of schooling, so he probably made the choice to not turn pro and lose his schooling.
Every team let's players go
It's time to get bigger

Reactions: horner

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Every team let's players go
It's time to get bigger
That's a very limited mindset.
We were 17th in the League last year for average height. Florida is shorter than us
We're fine.

Zuccarello, DeBrincat, Caufield, Stankoven, Marchessault, Krug
Rasanen, Gordeev, Middleton, Greenway

It's like it's worth diversifying and taking inventory of what you have

The chance of any of our three guys becoming the next Krug or Marchy is slim, but letting 3 draft picks walk for nothing is tricky when we have the space to keep at least one of them

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Want to cheer for the guy... but he's like a poor man's Mik... and now Mik is probably getting bought out lol

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I have a feeling Saginaw will beat London in the final. London beat them in a best of 7 and then in the 1st game they played at the Memorial Cup and now Saginaw will win the 1 that matters the most.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I have a feeling Saginaw will beat London in the final. London beat them in a best of 7 and then in the 1st game they played at the Memorial Cup and now Saginaw will win the 1 that matters the most.
London is 25-2 in their last 27 games with the only two losses coming against Saginaw.

Saginaw could definitely pull it off as it's hard to beat a team that much in such a short window. Has actually happened 6 times in the 2000's where the host team has won without winning their respective league.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I can’t help but laugh at all these people with this narrative that Easton Cowan is some kind of playoff performing saviour for the Leafs while Marner is a playoff dud. Let’s look at both of their playoff performances at the same age for the same team. Marner outperformed him, Marner had arguably the greatest playoff performance in CHL history. You never know if they will be a good playoff performer until you see them in the nhl playoffs

Last edited:

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I can’t help but laugh at all these people with this narrative that Easton Cowan is some kind of playoff performing saviour for the Leafs while Marner is a playoff dud. Let’s look at both of their playoff performances at the same age for the same team. Marner outperformed him, Marner had arguably the greatest playoff performance in CHL history. You never know if they will be a good playoff performer until you see them in the nhl playoffs

I don’t watch Cowan but if he goes to the dirty areas now that’s a very good sign. Something Marner refuses to do in the playoffs and it’s become a trend

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Going to the dirty areas in the OHL is different than in the NHL

You’re right but it also says a lot if he doesn’t do it now. If he does drive the net and battle now then there’s a chance he continues that later on. Most goals are scored within 5 feet of the net

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

You have a point.

Another point is they don't play the same game.

In fact, he told reporters after the draft that he has tried to model his game after former Leaf Nazem Kadri. He gets after it on the forecheck, tracks back effectively, stays above the puck, and pressures opposing puck carriers diligently to force turnovers and re-establish possession for his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad