Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Have to get in line, Johnsson already replaced Komarov. We do need a JVR replacement, however. Think Grundstrom can score in the NHL?

I just thought Grundstrom was more similar in playing style to Komarov (like, good Komarov).

I don't know if he can score in the NHL. I hope he can. Maybe another year with the Marlies is for the best.

To be completely honest, I'm not even 100% that Uncle Leo won't be back....with Dubas I think it's more likely he's let go, but you know Babcock.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I just thought Grundstrom was more similar in playing style to Komarov (like, good Komarov).

I don't know if he can score in the NHL. I hope he can. Maybe another year with the Marlies is for the best.

To be completely honest, I'm not even 100% that Uncle Leo won't be back....with Dubas I think it's more likely he's let go, but you know Babcock.
For Komarov, it's clear this was his worst year ever. I'm sure he's looking for some redemption. He's very loved in the dressing room by the team and all teams need guys like that. I can see Dubas giving him a shot at redemption on a one year deal @ 1m or below. He's a very competitive individual and i'm sure this year didn't sit well with him. If he's only about the money, then he'll probably head to the KHL but he loves it in Toronto.

We'll see what happens. I think Grundstrom will make his presence on the team by mid-year, hopefully. Very excited about him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What LWer is definitively better than Johnsson?

Who's the 8th winger more deserving than Grundstrom to play this upcoming season?

Obviously Grundstrom has to earn his spot but Dubas loves his Marlies guys, I don't know why he wouldn't be thinking at least one of Grundstrom or Engvall or some dark horse couldn't earn a spot. And then it just comes down to not needing your best LWer on a line with your best C & RW, just need someone who complements them and I think Grundstrom would compliment them more than Johnsson even though I think Johnsson would work well there too.
Hyman will again be Mathews left winger and 100% it will not be Johnsson as Hyman is the much better fit.

Dubas is the GM and not the coach and he has no control over who Babcock plays why anyone thinks otherwise has not paid attention to Babcocks career.

We are weak on Left wing for sure but if Nylander is a center this year then Johnsson will be our 3rd line left winger as he is not playing ahead of Marleau or Hyman.

Reactions: Leafidelity

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Hyman will again be Matthews left winger and 100% it will not be Johnsson as Hyman is the much better fit.

Dubas is the GM and not the coach and he has no control over who Babcock plays why anyone thinks otherwise has not paid attention to Babcocks career.

We are weak on Left wing for sure but if Nylander is a center this year then Johnsson will be our 3rd line left winger as he is not playing ahead of Marleau or Hyman.
Yeah, exactly. Nothing has changed to indicate Babcock will deviate from that lineup. If anything it has only been further solidified with Hyman getting a career-high in points this year.

Reactions: Leafidelity

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hyman will again be Mathews left winger and 100% it will not be Johnsson as Hyman is the much better fit.

If Nylander is moving to C and Matthews isn't getting Marner then Hyman should be on his right.

Marleau/Johnsson-Matthews-Hyman is a much better line than Hyman-Matthews-Brown/Kapanen

Last edited:
Reactions: Northernguy10

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

I watched Babcock bench Komarov in the playoffs in favor of Andreas Johnsson. Did you see that too?

Reactions: LeafChief

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If Nylander is moving to C and Matthews isn't getting Marner then Hyman should be on his right.

Marleau/Johnsson-Matthews-Hyman is a much better line than Hyman-Matthews-Brown/Kapanen

Hyman showed he had another gear playing on his natural side, so yeah, I agree he should be on the right side to show what more he can do. I'd prefer Johnsson or similar, though on the left. The line needs someone who can make plays and Marleau isn't any better a choice than Kapanen in that regard.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, exactly. Nothing has changed to indicate Babcock will deviate from that lineup. If anything it has only been further solidified with Hyman getting a career-high in points this year.

When Matthews was injured Babcock put Hyman on the right and Johnsson on the left. Hyman showed he had another gear playing on the right. If/when Nylander leaves for center, I can imagine that being revisited.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Grundstrom has scored 9 goals in 18 AHL playoff games. If he can do that against the best competition in the AHL, I figure he's at least worth a few games up on the big team in a sheltered role like JVR was gifted with before a decision to let him marinate in the AHL.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Grundstrom has scored 9 goals in 18 AHL playoff games. If he can do that against the best competition in the AHL, I figure he's at least worth a few games up on the big team in a sheltered role like JVR was gifted with before a decision to let him marinate in the AHL.
Depends on his camp, but I could see him getting the same treatment as Kapanen did this year.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It definitely would be interesting to see how everything would shake out if Nylander was moved to Center this year.

Johnsson - Matthews - Hyman
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
????????? - Nylander - Kapanen
????????? - ????????? - Brown

Rielly - ?????????
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Dermott - ?????????

Andersen
McBackup

*Gardiner traded. Martin disappeared. Leivo buried.

Then maybe someone like Grundstrom can crack one of those last 2 LW spots.

I like it as a framework to start with...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Marner will be playing with Mathews the meeting with him and his parents all but guaranteed it.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I watched Babcock bench Komarov in the playoffs in favor of Andreas Johnsson. Did you see that too?

I mean he missed time down the stretch with an injury, played 16:00 min game 1 and only 6 game two. Then I think missed the rest of the series

To me it was evident that Leo wasn't 100%, and I think that had as much to do with Babcock playing Johnsson over him as his general ineffectiveness did.

Lastly, I don't think Johnsson being on the team means Leo can't be....especially on a 1 yr contract as someone suggested.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I mean he missed time down the stretch with an injury, played 16:00 min game 1 and only 6 game two. Then I think missed the rest of the series

To me it was evident that Leo wasn't 100%, and I think that had as much to do with Babcock playing Johnsson over him as his general ineffectiveness did.

Lastly, I don't think Johnsson being on the team means Leo can't be....especially on a 1 yr contract as someone suggested.

It was evident the entire season that 100% Leo now is a fraction of what it used to be. If Leo does come back, he will likely spend most of the season in the press box. Too many young players are skating swiftly past his declining skillset. Would offer him a decent paying coaching job, though, or a solid one-way contract to replace a departing vet on the Marlies.

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

I always like when people say something like "Hyman is a much better fit" without any evidence.

I say Johnsson's a better fit. Argue that!

Johnsson is similar to Arby's who plays with a big C like Matthews in Johansen, can you point me to a Hyman-type being a 1st liner on any other team? If no, you're just arguing the past results are the best results even though you haven't seen how any other line combo works.

And I really think you guys have a false opinion of how the GM/coach relationship will work, Babcock will listen to Dubas sometimes.

Leo was literally one of the worst forwards last season. Why the hell do people want to resign him, other than the fact his name is Leo Komarov?

And by like game 4 Leo was saying he was healthy enough to play, Johnsson definitely took his spot without it being a result of injury

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It definitely would be interesting to see how everything would shake out if Nylander was moved to Center this year.

Johnsson - Matthews - Hyman
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
????????? - Nylander - Kapanen
????????? - ????????? - Brown

Rielly - ?????????
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Dermott - ?????????

Andersen
McBackup

*Gardiner traded. Martin disappeared. Leivo buried.

Then maybe someone like Grundstrom can crack one of those last 2 LW spots.

I like it as a framework to start with...

I think Aaltonen is a good shot at either one of the LW spots or 4th line Center

Reactions: Boutette

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I always like when people say something like "Hyman is a much better fit" without any evidence.

I say Johnsson's a better fit. Argue that!

Johnsson is similar to Arby's who plays with a big C like Matthews in Johansen, can you point me to a Hyman-type being a 1st liner on any other team? If no, you're just arguing the past results are the best results even though you haven't seen how any other line combo works.

And I really think you guys have a false opinion of how the GM/coach relationship will work, Babcock will listen to Dubas sometimes.

Leo was literally one of the worst forwards last season. Why the hell do people want to resign him, other than the fact his name is Leo Komarov?

And by like game 4 Leo was saying he was healthy enough to play, Johnsson definitely took his spot without it being a result of injury
What do I need to argue my opinion when it is you that has quoted me and challenged my opinion.

But here it goes. Possession of the puck is key and Johnsson will not go in the corners and come up with the puck as he lacks both the physical attributes needed and the will to do so.

How about Wilson being on the top line for Washington...maybe not exactly the same but similar in that they both will create battles for pucks. Neither are the most skilled options but both make the lines work as they create opportunities for their line mates.

Last thing. Babcock will listen to Dubas but make no mistakes he will not dress or play anyone who he does not want to play himself. Never has never will. He simply chooses who he wants to play and does not take into consideration who his GM wants him to play. As well he alone will create the lines as he always has.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Grundstrom Timashov - Mueller - Smith
Engvall - Gauthier - Greening Marchment - Brooks - Moore

Marincin - Holl
Rosen - LoVerde
Dermott - Liljegren

Sparks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad