Salary Cap: Marleau's 3rd Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Having a 40 year old winger who is about as effective as 3-4 25 year olds who can do a similar job at 1/6th the cap it is a problem where it comes to addressing the teams main issue, defense.

That is yet to be seen. A huge aspect of team defense is having a forward group that is strong enough defensively to go toe to toe with the leagues best and still produce. Marleau can do that, it's not a given the Johnsson/Kapanen etc. can.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Marleau, Tavares, and Reilly are all going to have the A on their jerseys ... no captain to start the season.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Marleau and Willy for SJ's latest acquisition, Erik Karlsson

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
That is yet to be seen. A huge aspect of team defense is having a forward group that is strong enough defensively to go toe to toe with the leagues best and still produce. Marleau can do that, it's not a given the Johnsson/Kapanen etc. can.

This is the new argument that the Leafs must keep and pay out Marleaus 6.25 million in cap next year? LWer Marleau on his own can make up for our bottom 10 RD and also make up for the loss of our #2 LD next year. Awesome. He's a keeper then.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Let's be honest here, you have no idea if there is or isn't a handshake deal in place and stating there isn't as if it was a fact is delusional. Same goes for how the contract is structured, you say it's meaningless, maybe it is and maybe it isn't.

It's funny, same thing happened with Stamkos and then Tavares - hundreds of people posted that they KNOW for sure if he is or isn't signing (I wish I had a buck for every time I read "book it" on this site in those posts). Same with JVR being or not being traded and now the same thing with the Marleau contract. Me, I'm perfectly willing to stay real, admit that I have no insider information and am thus in the dark just like everyone else. There have been some good arguments made in favour of there being a handshake deal in place, it seems plausible to me and I hope that's the way it is.

We'll all find out at the same time. :)

It’s pretty silly to just defend horrible contracts under the argument “there may be a cap circumventing handshake deal.”

It’s specious reasoning.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s pretty silly to just defend horrible contracts under the argument “there may be a cap circumventing handshake deal.”

It’s specious reasoning.

Speaking of which, you shouldn't be addressing me as I'm not defending anything, just saying that I can understand both sides of the argument.

What's silly IMHO is ridiculing people who are speculating that there may be a handshake deal in place. Not saying that's you but that's something many people have been doing. Like I said, it's all speculation and I see nothing wrong with that especially considering it may well be true. If speculation wasn't allowed then 99% of posts on this board wouldn't be allowed.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
He’s going to be good this season and score at least 15 goals in his last year

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
pretty naive to think an iron man would sign a essentially 2 yr deal with a final yr in his 40s making 1 mil without some agreement in place. Kovalchuk just got a near identical contract.

Furthermore, no no trade, and he makes 1 real world mil to his cap. If he doesnt go to SJ who just got Ek, im sure Vegas or Zona would take him. Sucks but lets not feel too bad, playing for a great Sharks team + up and coming Leafs team + raking in $$ cant be that bad

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Speaking of which, you shouldn't be addressing me as I'm not defending anything, just saying that I can understand both sides of the argument.

What's silly IMHO is ridiculing people who are speculating that there may be a handshake deal in place. Not saying that's you but that's something many people have been doing. Like I said, it's all speculation and I see nothing wrong with that especially considering it may well be true. If speculation wasn't allowed then 99% of posts on this board wouldn't be allowed.

a lot of naive people in the world. To think this industry is so clean that it wouldnt have backdoor deals.. i mean, contracts are completely ironed out by 12pm on signing day but youre not allowed to do anything but talk to the players before 12. Shocker

Reactions: Gary Nylund

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Because there is zero evidence of this? It's not a reasonable assumption.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Because there is zero evidence of this? It's not a reasonable assumption.

Give it a rest already will ya. If such a deal were in place there couldn't possibly be any evidence because of the nature of such a deal. Or to put it another way, presenting the lack of "evidence" as "evidence" is completely unreasonable.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
a lot of naive people in the world. To think this industry is so clean that it wouldnt have backdoor deals.. i mean, contracts are completely ironed out by 12pm on signing day but youre not allowed to do anything but talk to the players before 12. Shocker

or all these players on back diving deals all of a sudden finding "outs" when their deals get down to 1m pay per

folks called this back in the day and got called out for it and yet, here we are

they was spot on right.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marleau should have gotten the Sharks to be part of this handshake deal. After today it's even tougher to see them bringing in a washed up vet for 6+ a year on their cap

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This is the new argument that the Leafs must keep and pay out Marleaus 6.25 million in cap next year? LWer Marleau on his own can make up for our bottom 10 RD and also make up for the loss of our #2 LD next year. Awesome. He's a keeper then.

No, it's literally a direct counterargument to the extremely optimistic assumption that we have "3-4 guys that can do what he does at 1/6th the cost".

You make some great points but reeeallly need to back off on the strawmanning and forcing things into false binaries, comes off as extremely childish.

No one disputes that that are benefits to reallocating that money. No one says we "must keep him"
What people are saying is that "until something comes to light, it is wishful thinking to assume that he will be gone, and it's not the end of the world if he's not because he still brings value"

Reactions: kb

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No, it's literally a direct counterargument to the extremely optimistic assumption that we have "3-4 guys that can do what he does at 1/6th the cost".

You make some great points but reeeallly need to back off on the strawmanning and forcing things into false binaries, comes off as extremely childish.

No one disputes that that are benefits to reallocating that money. No one says we "must keep him"
What people are saying is that "until something comes to light, it is wishful thinking to assume that he will be gone, and it's not the end of the world if he's not because he still brings value"
This guy gets it. :thumbu:

Reactions: kb

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
We win the Cup next year, Marleau plays up the standard of his contract, and he retires with a ring and we open up 6.25 million in cap space. Win Win. High fives all around.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We win the Cup next year, Marleau plays up the standard of his contract, and he retires with a ring and we open up 6.25 million in cap space. Win Win. High fives all around.
Cap hit still counts if he retires.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Give it a rest already will ya. If such a deal were in place there couldn't possibly be any evidence because of the nature of such a deal. Or to put it another way, presenting the lack of "evidence" as "evidence" is completely unreasonable.
Why don't you give it a rest already? You speculated, I responded with facts. There is absolutely nothing that points to any handshake deal, so I can respond over and over with the hard facts until you understand them.

Oh, Marleau just got an A? Yup, he's got a handshake deal for sure.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why don't you give it a rest already? You speculated, I responded with facts.

Oh, and Marleau just got an A. Yup, he's got a handshake deal for sure.

You're wrong, sorry. Others have been speculating and I've taken a wait and see attitude. I'm trying to see both sides of the argument, you should try it sometime. Nobody can say for certain what the story is, that's a fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad