Salary Cap: Marleau's 3rd Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Wouldn't they have included no Marlies in the handshake deal? Doesn't most of his cap count anyways if he's a Marlie?

They don’t have to include Marlies in a handshake deal because there is a nice tool right there in the CBA. It’s called a NMC. The cap counts, but like I said he wouldn’t want to hang around that last season any way — it’s MUTUAL

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Please. Just like there was 0 evidence of Hossa becoming allergic of his equipment, Zetterberg and Datsyuk not playing out their contracts. I bet you thought Kovalchuk was going to play in the NHL until he was in his mid 40’s.

It’s more than reasonable to suspect that Marleau isn’t going to want to play his 40yr old season for $1.25m.
You can't compare those 12+ year illegal backdiving contracts vs a 3 year contract signed last summer under a different CBA. Everyone knew those were never going to be played out, which is why the CBA was amended.

Datsyuk peaced out and went home from a bottom feeder (which the Leafs aren't) with one year left and took his Stanley Cup rings with him (which Marleau doesn't have). Can't say I blame him.

Marleau still gets his signing bonus. And once that is paid.....the only option left is to trade him with a NMC to a team A) He is willing to go to (a contender obviously - who won't be able to absorb the cap hit), or B) LTIR him. No other options.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You can't compare those 12+ year illegal backdiving contracts vs a 3 year contract signed last summer under a different CBA. Everyone knew those were never going to be played out, which is why the CBA was amended.

Datsyuk peaced out and went home from a bottom feeder (which the Leafs aren't) with one year left and took his Stanley Cup rings with him (which Marleau doesn't have). Can't say I blame him.

But wait a minute they signed contracts, it was a fact they were going to play them. You just can’t argue with that.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
But wait a minute they signed contracts, it was a fact they were going to play them. You just can’t argue with that.
The illegal ones? All day long. It was cap circumvention.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
They don’t have to include Marlies in a handshake deal because there is a nice tool right there in the CBA. It’s called a NMC. The cap counts, but like I said he wouldn’t want to hang around that last season any way — it’s MUTUAL
You obviously talked to him and know this for a fact. Iron clad.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The illegal ones? All day long. It was cap circumvention.

Yes and if Leafs trade Marleau to AZ and he retires, we’ll say oh shit Leafs used cash to their advantage and just saved $6.25m off their cap using the signing bonus circumvention that the league is already starting to show displeasure about.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yes and if Leafs trade Marleau to AZ and he retires, we’ll say oh **** Leafs used cash to their advantage and just saved $6.25m off their cap using the signing bonus circumvention that the league is already starting to show displeasure about.
As I said, all I see is the 3 year 35+ NMC right now. I simply don't see his motivation to leave if the Leafs make a run in the spring. The other part I see is that with Horton's LTIR and a reasonable assumption of a $3-4 million increase in the cap, that would leave the Leafs with about $40 million minus what Willie gets in the next few days. Should be enough to keep the whole band together, especially if they bridge one of them.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You have me mistaken for another poster.

Pretty sure you said it was “fact” he wanted to stay and win a cup. I can see your condescending tone and fabrication of facts has receded, so I think we’re on the same page.

Sure, he might want to stay and win that cup. But it’s not unreasonable to think he wants to move on with his life when he hits 40 and be with his family rather than play another hockey season for pennies. Both are very realistic possibilities, even if leafs can afford him under the cap.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Pretty sure you said it was “fact” he wanted to stay and win a cup. I can see your condescending tone and fabrication of facts has receded, so I think we’re on the same page.

Sure, he might want to stay and win that cup. But it’s not unreasonable to think he wants to move on with his life when he hits 40 and be with his family rather than play another hockey season for pennies. Both are very realistic possibilities, even if leafs can afford him under the cap.
So i don’t get what is so Non-factual about a 3 year NMC contract, that’s exactly what he signed for... am I missing something?

Marleau not playing his 3rd year is pure speculation. Until he doesn’t show up for camp in his 3rd year then no one really knows.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So i don’t get what is so Non-factual about a 3 year NMC contract, that’s exactly what he signed for... am I missing something?

Marleau not playing his 3rd year is pure speculation. Until he doesn’t show up for camp in his 3rd year then no one really knows.

I think you missed a lot, that’s all been addressed. No one said him not playing the final year is factual. So I think you’ve basically missed everything, including the post you quoted.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

I said it's factual because of the article below....and I got tired/cranky because of one now blocked poster moving the goalposts with every post. I have no issues with Gary Nylund - good poster, even though we did disagree here. Marleau wants to win, and this article makes is pretty clear.

Marleau’s checkered playoff history provides a cautionary tale for young Maple Leafs

-------------------------------

“It’s an accomplishment to get there,” Marleau said. “But you want to win it all obviously. We fell short a few times after getting to the conference final, but to finally get there it was good to give yourself that one extra chance to finally win.”

That was part of the reason why he came to Toronto. He’s not here to be a mentor. He came here to get a Stanley Cup.

“You could hear it in his voice, the motivation that he has to win,” Rielly said. “It’s really cool.”

----------------------------------

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I said it's factual because of the article below....and I got tired/cranky because of one now blocked poster moving the goalposts with every post. Gary Nylund is a good poster, even though we disagree here. He wants to win, and that article makes it clear.

Marleau’s checkered playoff history provides a cautionary tale for young Maple Leafs

-------------------------------

“It’s an accomplishment to get there,” Marleau said. “But you want to win it all obviously. We fell short a few times after getting to the conference final, but to finally get there it was good to give yourself that one extra chance to finally win.”

That was part of the reason why he came to Toronto. He’s not here to be a mentor. He came here to get a Stanley Cup.

“You could hear it in his voice, the motivation that he has to win,” Rielly said. “It’s really cool.”

----------------------------------

Of course every player wants to win the cup, that’s not being contested that Marleau “wants to win a cup”. It’s not a fact that he wants to play for almost the lowest you can make in the NHL to win a cup.

I bet if a reporter asked him if he’d like to spend more time with his kids he’d say yes too. Well there we go he doesn’t want to win a cup he wants to be with his kids.

Turns out there are lots of factors at play in that decision, not just cups.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think it’s a reasonable assessment of his contract that he came Toronto for 1) the third year allowed he leafs tomgove him more money than other suitor and 2) Felt it was a better chance to win a cup.

The structure of the deal does seem to make his contract more moveable in the third year, but everything you hear also for the media is that he’s hyper competitive and wants to keep playing, so fair to say no one knows for sure what’s going to happen.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think it’s a reasonable assessment of his contract that he came Toronto for 1) the third year allowed he leafs tomgove him more money than other suitor and 2) Felt it was a better chance to win a cup.

The structure of the deal does seem to make his contract more moveable in the third year, but everything you hear also for the media is that he’s hyper competitive and wants to keep playing, so fair to say no one knows for sure what’s going to happen.

Amen brother or sister. I hope he scores 30 in the last year and raises the cup with the kids.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Great take. I hope they can keep everyone, and hoist Stanley.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Marleau still gets his signing bonus. And once that is paid.....the only option left is to trade him with a NMC to a team A) He is willing to go to (a contender obviously - who won't be able to absorb the cap hit), or B) LTIR him. No other options.
I'm normally not a big fan of your takes however I can't see how anyone could argue with you about this. PM is in the drivers' seat. Say he did verbally agree to a "handshake deal". If he changes his mind no one will ever know as if such a deal were to be made public the Leafs would be in big doo-doo with the league.

The only chance I see of him walking away from year three is if the Leafs win the Cup this year and he wants to retire "on top". And that, even though I'm extremely hopeful of winning a Cup, has a small percentage of happening.

Reactions: kb

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Unless the speculators are right, in which case you are wrong to ridicule them because there's no "evidence".
So if I speculate that marleau is going to leave in year 3 to raise dragons and fly to Neverland, i should be free of ridicule unless they can prove with facts and evidence that he’s not really training dragons?

Reactions: dsred and kb

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I knew the moment Marleau was given a three year deal this board will implode and now with JT signed it’s gotten even more entertaining

:laugh:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So if I speculate that marleau is going to leave in year 3 to raise dragons and fly to Neverland, i should be free of ridicule unless they can prove with facts and evidence that he’s not really training dragons?
How much for a trained dragon?

Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad