Speculation: Marek/Friedman- Edmonton 2nd and 3rd round picks for Korpisalo is being discussed

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
How would a goalie that isn't ready for 3/4 years be helpful given 0ur window is supposed to be now?
How would a goalie save this season? They can't so why should the Oilers throw yet more picks away?

That's what I meant when I used the word 'insanity' earlier. All they've been doing these past 15-20 years is throwing away valuable picks for little return and expecting different results.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Marek show.

Marek and Friedman mentioned that Edmonton may have said no to this offer a bit ago but if circling back now as they are reporting that Holland is under immense pressure from ownership to make playoffs.

Official offer reported by Marek and Friedman

To Edmonton
Korpisalo

To CBJ
2nd rnd pick
3rd round pick

Friedman added that perhaps the new conversation is a pick and a prospect instead of 2 picks.

Oilers do not have their 3rd and 4th this year and Korp is a UFA after this year--why waste more picks

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
How would a goalie save this season? They can't so why should the Oilers throw yet more picks away?

That's what I meant when I used the word 'insanity' earlier. All they've been doing these past 15-20 years is throwing away valuable picks for little return and expecting different results.

1) Given the quality of our goaltending it definitely could
2) We haven't spent 15-20 years throwing away valuable picks for no return....sure the AA and Reinhart deals hurt. But we've keep our upper picks most of the time you just seem uniformed

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
1) Given the quality of our goaltending it definitely could
2) We haven't spent 15-20 years throwing away valuable picks for no return....sure the AA and Reinhart deals hurt. But we've keep our upper picks most of the time you just seem uniformed
You forget the Talbot trade and others. They had a pile of picks in the 2015 draft, for example, and threw most of them away for no reason.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
You forget the Talbot trade and others. They had a pile of picks in the 2015 draft, for example, and threw most of them away for no reason.

1) Talbot worked out pretty decent...
2) I mentioned the Reinhart trade already

We haven't been throwing away early round picks year after year like you seem to imply but don't let that get in the way of your narrative go off king

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
1) Talbot worked out pretty decent...
2) I mentioned the Reinhart trade already

We haven't been throwing away early round picks year after year like you seem to imply but don't let that get in the way of your narrative go off king
Talbot only played 13 playoff games for the Oilers and finished his time there with a save percentage below .900. He was average (at best) and that wasn't good enough for a starter.

Again, a complete waste of picks that could have been used to help build a better team.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I disagree with the thread title. The Oilers called on Korpisalo earlier and the Jackets asked for that return. Edmonton is under pressure to make the playoffs. The connection was not made between the two thoughts. The present tense implies differently. There was no comment made about circling back either.

Friedman did say that he thinks "Holland is determined not to a make a move where he looks at it and says that's just a disaster waiting to happen."

~5:50 --> Marek & Friedman: The Coaching Carousel Continues - Sportsnet.ca
Thank you. This OP has made several threads about the Oilers that are out of context or entirely wrong.

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
They shouldn't be trading either their 2nd or 3rd as they're both part of the Keith trade. If certain conditions are met the 3rd becomes a 2nd.

I thought Marek and Friedman did homework before making these statements.

Link: Edmonton Oilers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Note: Check out the '22 picks and the conditions attached.
the initial post didn't specify a year. So Edmonton could make the deal using 2023 picks..

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Talbot only played 13 playoff games for the Oilers and finished his time there with a save percentage below .900. He was average (at best) and that wasn't good enough for a starter.

Again, a complete waste of picks that could have been used to help build a better team.

...how many playoff games have the oilers played in McDavid's career?

He's also still a starting goalie for the Wild

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
the initial post didn't specify a year. So Edmonton could make the deal using 2023 picks..
The OP is wrong about what was discussed on the podcast. Friedman and Marek said the Jackets asked for a 2nd + 3rd or a prospect + pick for Korpisalo, and the Oilers thought that was too much to give up.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
i mean except in that play-in round against the leafs. he was disgusting that series.
There are probably well over a hundred goalies who can shut it down for 5 or 6 games. There are very few who can bring consistency in the net at the NHL level. I'd put Korpisalo in the former category, but not the latter.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
EDM is only 5 points from the WC and even if they reach the playoffs have too many problems. I expect they'll pursue Korpislo in the offseason than sacrificing picks.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The OP is wrong about what was discussed on the podcast. Friedman and Marek said the Jackets asked for a 2nd + 3rd or a prospect + pick for Korpisalo, and the Oilers thought that was too much to give up.
That may change if the Oiler goalies continue to give up 1st shot goals and possibly 2nd shot goals too. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad