Marchessault wins Conn Smythe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Is Marchessault a native English speaker? They're showing clips of him right now and it seems like he speaks Canadian English as a first language.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Marchessault was clutch all playoffs long.

People can’t accept that an undrafted player outplayed one of the most hyped/anticipated 2nd overalls in NHL history.

The Conn Smythe doesn’t have to go to the biggest name.

Marchessault embodies Vegas hockey, he’s been there from the start and he set the pace for Vegas with the timeliness of his goals.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean, he is Quebecers so you should expect that accent from him.
I expect most Quebecois to speak French as a native language with a heavily French-accented English, but it seems like in Marchessault's case, English may be his native language.

Based on this interview though, it seems like he probably spoke both at home as you can definitely hear the French accent in his voice, while still being comfortable speaking English on what feels like a pretty native level.

Reactions: WhataKnight

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I expect most Quebecois to speak French as a native language with a heavily French-accented English, but it seems like in Marchessault's case, English may be his native language.

Based on this interview though, it seems like he probably spoke both at home as you can definitely hear the French accent in his voice, while still being comfortable speaking English on what feels like a pretty native level.

It's pretty common, especially in western provinces, for a francophone to blend in seamlessly with anglos. I worked with a guy for years before who I had no idea was francophone until we were hanging out outside of work and he began speaking Quebecois.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad