Player Discussion Marc Staal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Quinn relaxed on Pionk quite a bit towards the end of the year. The guy who doesn't play a lick of defense was getting most of the hard usage.

And Pionk was still on the ice for most of the goals against.

He even healthy scratched him one time, I remember. Blasphemy!

Reactions: Machinehead

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
The last three coaches loved Staals defensive play but Joey who works at Baskin Robbins says different. Is he worth the contract ? No. Is he a relic for a NHL defenseman in this era ? Yes. But he plays hard and is effective at what he is. A defensive defenseman with a long reach.

As far as Quinn relaxing Pionk it was because he was garbage.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The last three coaches loved Staals defensive play but Joey who works at Baskin Robbins says different. Is he worth the contract ? No. Is he a relic for a NHL defenseman in this era ? Yes. But he plays hard and is effective at what he is. A defensive defenseman with a long reach.

As far as Quinn relaxing Pionk it was because he was garbage.

Staal is an effective defensive defenseman?

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Torts, AV and Quinn relied on him heavily.
Love to appeal to authority.
He's been a Plus player primarily over his entire career.
+41 on his career, eh? I guess that means he's better than Leetch, who only went +25 on his career, right?

Also, congrats, plus-minus is a useless stats. So good job using a meaningless point in your argument.
He has logged massive minutes as a Ranger.
Because playing time always correlates to skill-level, right? WRONG.
He kills penalties.
Poorly. Also, see above answer.

I don't know what other facts you need.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yes Joey

Torts, AV and Quinn relied on him heavily. He's been a Plus player primarily over his entire career. He has logged massive minutes as a Ranger. He kills penalties. I don't know what other facts you need.
Torts was fired when Staal was 25 lol. If Staal is so good why didn't Renney use him? Why was Brian Lee drafted ahead of him? Do you think Brian Lee is good??!!

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Torts was fired when Staal was 25 lol. If Staal is so good why didn't Renney use him? Why was Brian Lee drafted ahead of him? Do you think Brian Lee is good??!!

I don't want to get involved in what is a pretty pointless debate (that won't see either side budge), but Renney did use Staal; in his rookie year (Renney's last full year) Staal played 80 games (mainly on the 3rd line) and was 2nd in average ice-time for all D-men in the playoffs. He routinely played 20+ mins a night on the 2nd pair in his 2nd season before Renney was canned (Roszival was the #1LHD).

The Mouth

May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com

Joey. Tom Renney did use him. Everyone has used him. I believe Mike actually remembers what happened. Four NHL coaches have leaned on him in defensive situations. At this point I think you are hellbent on just being contrarians for whatever reason and nothing is gonna get settled.

The Mouth

May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Today I've learned these are the reasons to keep Staal:

+/- Rating (which is useless, though he was a -9 last year. Noted defensive black hole DeangelNO was a team leading +6!)
Logging a ton of minutes (poorly)
PK'ing (Poorly)
His effects on leadership and group dynamics.

Joey. +/- is not useless especially in this case where Staal plays a tons of minutes. My interview with Theo Fleury and his thoughts on +/- is available on itunes you should check it out. All your other points are opinion based. So there is that. He is an effective defensive defenseman. Is he outdated for this NHL sure, Is he overpaid sure. How you are measuring his leadership I haven't a clue. How would any of us know? Every coach who has come in here has been impressed by Staal's defense. I Don't know what else to tell ya.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't want to get involved in what is a pretty pointless debate (that won't see either side budge), but Renney did use Staal; in his rookie year (Renney's last full year) Staal played 80 games (mainly on the 3rd line) and was 2nd in average ice-time for all D-men in the playoffs. He routinely played 20+ mins a night on the 2nd pair in his 2nd season before Renney was canned (Roszival was the #1LHD).
Malik! Rozsival was (and is I guess) a righty.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
usually its the goalies job to do that.

I hope this is part of your shtick and you don’t actually believe defensemen aren’t a part of preventing goals. Otherwise I might as well be responding to broomstick.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I hope this is part of your shtick and you don’t actually believe defensemen aren’t a part of preventing goals. Otherwise I might as well be responding to broomstick.
His argument is apparently that Staal's entire value is found in his offensive contributions. Good luck rebutting that!

Reactions: McRanger

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Damn, you're right. :laugh:
So was it Staal and Roszival on the top pair in 08/09 or did Roszival play with Redden ans it was Staal/Girardi on line 2? (I love pointless trivia)
Staal's partners those years:
Rozsival: 555.46
Girardi: 353.33
Mara: 340.65
Kalinin: 51.83

So a little of both.

Reactions: mike14

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
usually its the goalies job to do that.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

bR6mItr.jpg

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yes Joey

Torts, AV and Quinn relied on him heavily. He's been a Plus player primarily over his entire career. He has logged massive minutes as a Ranger. He kills penalties. I don't know what other facts you need.
He better be good defensively, since the puck is basically a guaranteed turnover if it ever comes on his blade in the defensive zone. Piss poor mobility and awful puck movement. You don't need a $5.5m D-man to kill penalties.

Of course there are reasons for that (like only having good vision on one eye), but it is what it is.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad