Marc Bergevin - Road Closed for Repair Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You're paying to much attention to paper measurements of height and weight, while ignoring the style of play. Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen are our toughest wingers, regardless of their size.

And you seem to be underestimating the impact of weight & size in a physical, contact sport.

Toughness, of which Gally may be among the league's best, is a fantastic trait (& I'd agree, of more importance than sheer size)... but toughness + size is simply more effective.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
And you seem to be underestimating the impact of weight & size in a physical, contact sport.

Toughness, of which Gally may be among the league's best, is a fantastic trait (& I'd agree, of more importance than sheer size)... but toughness + size is simply more effective.
I'm not denying that. But I've seen some names floating around that while being bigger on paper, add absolutely nothing in terms of puck protection or puck battles, compared to what we already have on the roster.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Exactly 12 players in the league this year scored more points than Domi at even strength. It's shocking that so many people fail to see how good that guy is. He didn't play at all with our top scoring winger (Tatar) or leading goal scorer (Gallagher) and racked up more points than Matthews and Stamkos (at ES).

Montreal needs a power play.

Domi played on our powerplay quite a bit this year, btw.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You're paying to much attention to paper measurements of height and weight, while ignoring the style of play. Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen are our toughest wingers, regardless of their size.
Lol...hot doggity dang..we in business! Lehkonen our tough winger!!! :biglaugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Exactly 12 players in the league this year scored more points than Domi at even strength. It's shocking that so many people fail to see how good that guy is. He didn't play at all with our top scoring winger (Tatar) or leading goal scorer (Gallagher) and racked up more points than Matthews and Stamkos (at ES).

Montreal needs a power play.
I'll take the 98pt scoring winger who has less points than Domi on the PP any day of the week.
Domi putting up 61 ES pts is great and he's a good soldier to have on board. But these numbers, this year, it's tough to know how credible they are. Just two seasons ago only 4 players scored more than 57 ES pts..Last year it was 9..this year 15....So let's see how things go.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Lol...hot doggity dang..we in business! Lehkonen our tough winger!!! :biglaugh:
You have to admit he has a willingness some on this club don't. I'm disappointed he hasn't seemed to get stronger on his skates. Particularly as we need a more stability in terms of net front presence on this club. He's a completely honest player which I love.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You are right....not with Desharnais as our 1st line center and what did Bergevin did back then to fix that problem...nothing.

We had the goalie...we had the very best in the league.
When Markov and Subban were there we had the defender
We even had a great cast of forward.....except for Desharnais.

When you finish 1st in your division for 2-3 years in row, it means the windows is there.
We even made the ECF with freaking Desharnais, so i'm right to think that we were not that far out if Bergevin had get us that center, even if it was for a couple of month (TDL addition)...but noooooo he had to keep his 1st round pick to get Scherbak and McCarron

MB missed a glorious opportunity to sell the Canes on Plek and DD for Eric Staal the camp following our our ECF. I mean damn, this board identified our lack of a true Number 1 C as one of the main reasons for our demise. How hard a sell was it when Jordan Staal went down? Take our 1-2 for your 1. 8m in 8m out. We just needed to convince Eric (agent) he was the man we wanted to drive our top line and I think it was Rutherford at that time that we were offering up a ready built tank for McDavid or Eichel. This was my proposal at the time and it made so much sense on so many levels. It didn't address all our needs but it certainly took a bite out of a key one.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
MB missed a glorious opportunity to sell the Canes on Plek and DD for Eric Staal the camp following our our ECF. I mean damn, this board identified our lack of a true Number 1 C as one of the main reasons for our demise. How hard a sell was it when Jordan Staal went down? Take our 1-2 for your 1. 8m in 8m out. We just needed to convince Eric (agent) he was the man we wanted to drive our top line and I think it was Rutherford at that time that we were offering up a ready built tank for McDavid or Eichel. This was my proposal at the time and it made so much sense on so many levels. It didn't address all our needs but it certainly took a bite out of a key one.

A few posters had the wisdom to suggest trading Desharnais in the summer of 2012, as they believed that his value had peaked then.

However, they were outnumbered by posters who thought that Desharnais was the next Martin St-Louis.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Name three players on our roster, who are more effective in board battles and who go to the net more often than Lehkonen.
Euh...is that supposed to mean anything? You're talking about a club who missed the POs despite most guys playing very good hockey...needless to say, there ain't much talent present.

Reactions: DAChampion

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Euh...is that supposed to mean anything? You're talking about a club who missed the POs despite most guys playing very good hockey...needless to say, there ain't much talent present.
Are you even able to stick to the topic discussed?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
A few posters had the wisdom to suggest trading Desharnais in the summer of 2012, as they believed that his value had peaked then.

However, they were outnumbered by posters who thought that Desharnais was the next Martin St-Louis.
Not sure what you or others were expecting the Habs to get back in return for David Desharnais back then...for obvious reasons, its not like the guy would have returned a package of prospects & picks which could have helped down the line, as in, right now.

The obvious player to trade then was Tomas Plekanec, his value was the highest then...

But y'all didn't hear me then lol

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Yeah I took a ton of flak on that one. For me his complete disappearance in post season hockey should have raised huge alarms particularly as it seemed to have an adverse effect on Patch. I'm wondering if a season end debrief process was ever done? The fact that we didn't have an option for a departing Vanek still blows my mind given the boost it gave the club.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not sure what you or others were expecting the Habs to get back in return for David Desharnais back then...for obvious reasons, its not like the guy would have returned a package of prospects & picks which could have helped down the line, as in, right now.

The obvious player to trade then was Tomas Plekanec, his value was the highest then...

Yeah some did.

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Well Byron-Domi-Shaw did not work at all. They couldn't maintain a cycle in the o zone. They were easily bumped off the puck and the zone was cleared very quickly, even though Domi and Shaw have chemistry and Domi and Byron are lights out in OT. Even Lehkonen adds that extra ability on the wall that Byron doesn't have. Therefore, I'm not sure Skinner could work with Domi and Shaw.

But, I think we could find a place for Skinner. I'd like to see Skinner-KK-Nyquist. Have someone offensive but also defensively responsible with KK and Skinner.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It's going to be real hard to find that elite talent.
Nothing is hard when we've a powerful GM. Everything is hard when you've our GM. We're not a elite team. And they don't want to be that. So no elite talents in exchange.

Trashing a GM for not making the PO often while kissing Bergevin ass for the Habs missing the PO 3 of last 4 seasons.

Think a GM is dumb for helping its team win a round of PO for the very first time in history, yet you praise Bergevin for not spending to help the team make the PO.

Take shots at a GM who built a team from scratch in a single summer and help its team the 2nd season by bringing a full top line while praising this Habs GM for acquiring guys like Weise, Thompson, Weal...
There's people who'll stand for any person who're related to our 1909. Let me explain to you and y'all. Whatever the names who got here, they'll be on their side. If our actual players or people are with other franchises then they'll don't have their same judgement. They're blinded by their love with the Canadiens. So they can't be against one or ones of them... I can't defend that.

Well none of that stuffs actually matter, for now he got a very entry-level administrative job with the Bolts, he would need to climb the ladder all the way to assistant-GM to be considered a legit GM candidate for the Habs or any other team.

So until he get there, there isn't much to discuss.
When and if he'll prove and proving himself over the years... On the hockey stuffs. Then we'll have amply of room to discuss about MD. Surely.

That's crazy , isn't it ? If Price wouldn't have been injured during the playoffs, Habs would have make the Cup finals that season , and maybe won it . But all those guys have together 2x cup finals in a total of 47 seasons
Who knows?

Why are you being obtuse... a GMs job is to put his club in a position where the common consensus would be that the roster that he has assembled is a contender, it’s up to the coach put the players in that roster in the best position to succeed, and it’s up to the players to actually perform. Bergevin hasn’t done *HIS PART* in 7 years.
He don't and didn't know what's his part. Like until now...

I can't count the numerous time he missed oppurtunities. Like anymore. He's searching for bargain bin instead.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Sooooo.... What you're trying to say is that we lack elite talent to support the talent we have?

I might be mistaken, but I think that was DAChampion's underlying point
I'll take some more elite talent any day. But what needs to be done is to fix the power play. Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, even Shaw were all damn good at evens. It's not like Montreal doesn't have any talent, it just all shrivels up and dies as soon as there's a PP for some reason. Change that, and the team improves dramatically, even if they don't get a Panarin or a Skinner.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
just wondering, you think it's good or bad ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

If the objective was to tank, then ya, trade Plekanec. But we obviously did not have to do that given we went to the ECF just a year later.
Making room for Galch down the middle though, the obvious guy to get rid of was DD. With Eller and Galch as hopefuls we needed room, trading your best center only made sense if the objective was to tank. Unfortunately for the tankers, we started the year on fire so obviously they weren't going to move Plekanec.
What Bergevin should have done is not trade Plekanec in 2012, it's go all in during the 2013 and 2014 summers. See how the team does over the next few years. Maybe it would have yielded great results, or maybe not, in any case, after 5-6 years of joining, he would have had to press the reset button, which is what he ended up doing anyways.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
All GMs made bad moves. Sam Pollock who is rumour the best ever made more gaffs than you can shake a stick at. Lost Tony Esposito you waivers. Protected Phil Myre instead. Got nil back in Rogie Vachon trade. Drafted Napier over Mike Bossy just scratch the surface of his mistakes.

The point is Habs are in great shape. Youngest team in league. Powerful farm system, more picks in this draft than any club. Tons of caproom. Future Marc has secured

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
All GMs made bad moves. Sam Pollock who is rumour the best ever made more gaffs than you can shake a stick at. Lost Tony Esposito you waivers. Protected Phil Myre instead. Got nil back in Rogie Vachon trade. Drafted Napier over Mike Bossy just scratch the surface of his mistakes.

The point is Habs are in great shape. Youngest team in league. Powerful farm system, more picks in this draft than any club. Tons of caproom. Future Marc has secured

Sam Pollock also won 9 cups in 14 years....

But hey...Marc has the youngest team in the league.. Take that Sam ''9 Cups'' Pollock!!! In yo face fatso!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I think a GM who orchestrated his way to NINE Stanley Cups gets a little more leeway than a clown who helped us to no-where over his 7 seasons.

Of all the GM's you take a shot at, Sam Pollock? Are you fu%^ing serious? I mean really?? WTF?

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019

“The Future is secured”

Thank god for Bargainbin. We should be winning the cup any season now...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

comparing Bergevin to Pollock now...

:laugh: :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad