Marc Bergevin - Road Closed for Repair Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
God please no!

Why ? He knows the media world of Montreal, he knows the business world, a smart and articulate guy (studied 4 years at McGill). He played in the NHL and even in Montreal. He knows the AHL very well and he knows what it takes to get to the NHL. In addition he goes to learn in one of the best organization where he will have an important role in the hockey structure. He is very familiar with the convention collective (he was very involved at the time). Give him 3-4 years in this role and I think you'll have a very qualified guy

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Why ? He knows the media world of Montreal, he knows the business world, a smart and articulate guy (studied 4 years at McGill). He played in the NHL and even in Montreal. He knows the AHL very well and he knows what it takes to get to the NHL. In addition he goes to learn in one of the best organization where he will have an important role in the hockey structure. He is very familiar with the convention collective (he was very involved at the time). Give him 3-4 years in this role and I think you'll have a very qualified guy

Let's give him more like 10 years in an exec. role and than we can talk about him.

Right now he has 0 scouting skills, 0 capologist experience and doesn't even know where to begin on how to make a trade or anything else for that matters...and he's going to learn with a rookie GM so one step at a time.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Let's give him more like 10 years in an exec. role and than we can talk about him.

Right now he has 0 scouting skills, 0 capologist experience and doesn't even know where to begin on how to make a trade or anything else for that matters.

I didn’t say that he will be the GM in a near futur I said that he will become one day Habs GM. It can be in 10 years. I personally think not before 3-4 years

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I didn’t say that he will be the GM in a near futur I said that he will become one day Habs GM. It can be in 10 years. I personally think not before 3-4 years

And if he sucks at this job?
Or maybe because he's familiar names it's a guarantee he won't?

All i'm saying it's way too early to even mention his name as even a possibility....and he had to perform to be considered.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why not hire Eugenie Bouchard as GM? She's a very accomplished athlete, a bright, well-spoken woman, and is very familiar with Montreal's media. Yes, she has no direct experience managing a hockey team, however we've opted for lesser resumes from our recent GMs and she can probably learn just as well as them. What we'd lose in hockey experience we'd gain big-time in marketing. Plus, name a single GM who wouldn't take her call.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Why not hire Eugenie Bouchard as GM? She's a very accomplished athlete, a bright, well-spoken woman, and is very familiar with Montreal's media. Yes, she has no direct experience managing a hockey team, however we've opted for lesser resumes from our recent GMs and she can probably learn just as well as them. What we'd lose in hockey experience we'd gain big-time in marketing. Plus, name a single GM who wouldn't take her call.
True, it’s like that natural tendency to tip a hot looking waitress more money then the chunky one lol

Honestly though, if the service is crap, I tip nothing.....or I’ll tip minimum but if she’s hot, and it’s good, I tend to hit the 20% icon over the 18% lol

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Trades are hard was my biggest pet peeve

As much as I support the guy, there’s no denying them quotes......that Weber one is lost in translation though, I knew what he was trying to say, but it was funny as hell when he said it cause it made no sense :laugh:
His quotes is near the smh to lmao vibes.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

? Compared and ex Hockey player who always said that he wanted to work in a hockey management role and a Tennis player ??

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
As usual, the reality lies right between what the optimists and the pessimists say on this board.

We're probably not on the cusp of being a Cup contender. But when you think about it, the pieces needed can be found withing the next two years, easily. The real question is whether Bergevin is the man to do it. IMHO, he is not. He had the opportunity to capitalize off a great playoffs run in 2014 and had all the assets to push this team over the top, and did not.

Jim Nill did it.
Jarmo Kekalainen did it.
George McPhee did it.
Doug Wilson did it.

Is Bergevin able to do it? I strongly doubt it. But it's far from an impossible task. Add an elite winger and a strong top-4 LD to this team and they can surprise a lot of people.

What the hell did Nill do for god sake? Dallas missed the PO 8 times in the last 10 years! They're having a decent run this year and Nill is a genius all of a sudden? Please... The guy made big trades his whole career but had no clue how to actually build a team.

Kekalainen just said fruck it I'm getting fired anyway, I'm gonna make a splash! His gamble was dumb as f***!

They barely made the PO! If Boston manages to beat them he'll look like a complete moron! Invested a ton of picks and prospects just to make the second round? Yeah...

McPhee? What the hell did McPhee do? He was probably the first to be surprised how well that team performed!!!

All the moves that organization made were to slowly get better through the draft and stuff but they somehow exploded out of the gate... I can see them struggle in the near future.

And seriously Doug Wilson? That guy is there since fracking 2003!!! And that team keeps chocking year after year in the PO!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The team has too many flaws that Bergevin can fix within a couple of seasons. This will take at least 3 years and a full rebuild.

But we're on a reset while trying to make the playoffs at the same time. :sarcasm:

Reactions: the

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What are the odds the teams who decided to take a step back will derail us in a couple of seasons anyways?

Probably better than ours. We're chasing two rabbits at the same time and maybe we'll end up with a new plan by the end of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
What the hell did Nill do for god sake? etc etc
The point is that those 4 went out and added elite players to their roster and the only one Bergevin's added in his time here he let walk to throw money at Alzner while the core aged out of their elite years or were traded.

Seguin was acquired by trade and is better than any Habs center since what, the 80s? 70s even? McPhee added an entire first line in a calendar year and Stone would be the best Habs forward of this millennium. Wilson has kept the Sharks among the class of the league for 15 years, with Couture and then Hertl locking in their C depth as Thornton ages, plus adding Karlsson who would be the Habs' best player since Lafleur. As for Kekalainen, I doubt he even means Duchene and Dzingel. He added a franchise winger and defenseman via trade, and when Panarin and Bobrovsky decided to (likely) move on through no fault of his own he decided to go for it instead of perpetually building for a future that never comes, and the team will still have a ton of prospects and a great young core to build around even if all 4 of their big UFAs leave.

In comparison, when the Habs had two critical pending UFAs after making a giant "win now" trade for Weber, instead of going all-in around that window the Habs added Dwight King, Steve Ott, and Andreas Martinsen and then let both of those UFAs walk to throw money at Karl Alzner.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The point is that those 4 went out and added elite players to their roster and the only one Bergevin's added in his time here he let walk to throw money at Alzner while the core aged out of their elite years or were traded.

Seguin was acquired by trade and is better than any Habs center since what, the 80s? 70s even? McPhee added an entire first line in a calendar year and Stone would be the best Habs forward of this millennium. Wilson has kept the Sharks among the class of the league for 15 years, with Couture and then Hertl locking in their C depth as Thornton ages, plus adding Karlsson who would be the Habs' best player since Lafleur. As for Kekalainen, I doubt he even means Duchene and Dzingel. He added a franchise winger and defenseman via trade, and when Panarin and Bobrovsky decided to (likely) move on through no fault of his own he decided to go for it instead of perpetually building for a future that never comes, and the team will still have a ton of prospects and a great young core to build around even if all 4 of their big UFAs leave.

In comparison, when the Habs had two critical pending UFAs after making a giant "win now" trade for Weber, instead of going all-in around that window the Habs added Dwight King, Steve Ott, and Andreas Martinsen and then let both of those UFAs walk to throw money at Karl Alzner.
Dude! I've been hearing here the whole time that nothing matters but the cup! So who cares at the end of the day? Right? They all failed...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
What the hell did Nill do for god sake? Dallas missed the PO 8 times in the last 10 years! They're having a decent run this year and Nill is a genius all of a sudden? Please... The guy made big trades his whole career but had no clue how to actually build a team.

Kekalainen just said fruck it I'm getting fired anyway, I'm gonna make a splash! His gamble was dumb as ****!

They barely made the PO! If Boston manages to beat them he'll look like a complete moron! Invested a ton of picks and prospects just to make the second round? Yeah...

McPhee? What the hell did McPhee do? He was probably the first to be surprised how well that team performed!!!

All the moves that organization made were to slowly get better through the draft and stuff but they somehow exploded out of the gate... I can see them struggle in the near future.

And seriously Doug Wilson? That guy is there since fracking 2003!!! And that team keeps chocking year after year in the PO!
youre trying too hard. We get it, every GM is a moron and did a crap job.... expect for beloved Bergevin obviously.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
youre trying too hard. We get it, every GM is a moron and did a crap job.... expect for beloved Bergevin obviously.
Why even bring up Bergevin? My response was about those particular GM's! Has nothing to do with Bergevin.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Dude! I've been hearing here the whole time that nothing matters but the cup! So who cares at the end of the day? Right? They all failed...

I don't think any fans in their right mind are asking for the Cup only.....that's impossible to do. I think the target is more about having a real chance at the Cup.

Not a cinderalla run at the cup
Not a "make the PO and anything can happen" philosophy
But to feel confident enough that a Cup might actually come would be enough.

I personnally thought that in 2013-2014 we were going in that direction and a lot of fans too (Bell center was sold out for a reason back then).....but Bergevin didn't believe in windows and missed a giant to bring us there.

All those GM brought their team and fan base there at least for 1 year.....Bergevin didn't even if he had the chance to.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
? Compared and ex Hockey player who always said that he wanted to work in a hockey management role and a Tennis player ??
If the Habs wanted the best hockey resume, Mathieu Darche's name would never come up. Not with proven track-records like Dean Lombardi available, or excellent AGMs like Bill Guerin ready to become GM. There are your top names if you want the best GM. Darche is a smart man, but he's simply not at their level, not to mention other better-qualified candidates currently working in the NHL.

For various reasons, the Habs seem unwilling or unable to get the best hockey GM, so why not at least get the best marketing figure? If we're willing to compromise part way on experience & success, why not fully embrace it and go all the way! I mean, it's not like our recent compromises have succeeded; maybe it's time for a different compromise! Eugenie Bouchard is intelligent and understands the discipline of pro sports. Yes, she'd start with a hockey disadvantage, but so would many of the names mentioned as potential GMs for the Habs. We'd expect them to learn, so will she.

We've been willing to settle for candidates who were somewhat less qualified to manage a hockey team, and we've won nothing. If we're going to continue to win nothing anyway, why not make it someone who'd absolutely kill it on the media side. Eugenie for GM!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't think any fans in their right mind are asking for the Cup only.....that's impossible to do. I think the target is more about having a real chance at the Cup.

Not a cinderalla run at the cup
Not a "make the PO and anything can happen" philosophy
But to feel confident enough that a Cup might actually come would be enough.

I personnally thought that in 2013-2014 we were going in that direction and a lot of fans too (Bell center was sold out for a reason back then).....but Bergevin didn't believe in windows and missed a giant to bring us there.

All those GM brought their team and fan base there at least for 1 year.....Bergevin didn't even if he had the chance to.

So you actually felt that we were an af***ing contender with Desharnais as our first line center?

Gimme a break man!!! that team was going f***ing nowhere jeezus....

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
So you actually felt that we were an a****ing contender with Desharnais as our first line center?

Gimme a break man!!! that team was going ****ing nowhere jeezus....
So what is it then? Is it dumb to try and compete with Desharnais as your 1st line center or is it dumb to go out and trade for a 1st line center at the deadline?

Reactions: Milhouse40

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So what is it then? Is it dumb to try and compete with Desharnais as your 1st line center or is it dumb to go out and trade for a 1st line center at the deadline?
Trade for a first line center at the TDL? When this even happened?

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Well... they tried to do something that made sense. Not adding a 5th forward line to their lineup. Which Bergevin is apparently still trying to do to the lights of his first moves this offseason.

He had the opportunity to get this team to the next level once and failed miserably. I'd wager money he'll try the same thing all over again!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad