Marc Bergevin - Road Closed for Repair Edition

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't believe you can compare the two sports so easily. A 34yo guy in soccer still has to run for 90min (more or less 10km) without being able to recover/rest on the bench for a minute or two. Only a few soccer players still play over 35. In hockey, you still have a bunch of them.

Anyhow, we'll need a new GM if you want to see Weber out. I would believe that Bergevin thinks of Weber as of the Bruins like Chara. Both of them are seen as a strong presence in the locker room (and they're both captains) and they can play tough minutes for their team. Chara has stucked with Boston and he is now 42. Sure he hasn't had many injuries and you could argue that he maintains a healthy lifestyle but still... I have seen people on this board comparing the two. That makes me believe that Bergevin also has a high esteem of Weber. We'll still watch him in the lineup for years.

(I'm not a big fan of Weber neither)

For sure, and you can't just buy new superstar players. But still, what is clear about Chara or Weber is that their best years are probably behind them. In football, because of the issues you mention and the transfer ability of players, there just isn't a question. Ronaldo's gotta go, Bale's gotta go, they old AF. But in hockey, IMO, the question should be raised. What are we getting in these years? Why do we want that? When you start looking at years 15, 16 etc in a career, if you can get a first and a prospect back from a player, your odds of the return being worth more than the value of the player's remaining years go way up.

What are we doing?

Reactions: Runner77

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It's pretty eye opening how different team building is viewed in european soccer than it is in the NHL. Could you imagine Real Madrid clinging on to 33 year old Ronaldo? They're trying desperately to move Gareth Bale who just turns 30 this year. And yet here we are clinging on to an injury stricken soon to be 34 year old Shea Weber. Granted, there are different methods available to european soccer clubs, but Weber isn't exactly stuck here: he has a very movable contract.
It raises the question: what are we doing? Why are we doing it?
The 2018's MB: "Real Madrid isn't doing the series..."

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I don't believe you can compare the two sports so easily. A 34yo guy in soccer still has to run for 90min (more or less 10km) without being able to recover/rest on the bench for a minute or two. Only a few soccer players still play over 35. In hockey, you still have a bunch of them.

Anyhow, we'll need a new GM if you want to see Weber out. I would believe that Bergevin thinks of Weber as of the Bruins like Chara. Both of them are seen as a strong presence in the locker room (and they're both captains) and they can play tough minutes for their team. Chara has stucked with Boston and he is now 42. Sure he hasn't had many injuries and you could argue that he maintains a healthy lifestyle but still... I have seen people on this board comparing the two. That makes me believe that Bergevin also has a high esteem of Weber. We'll still watch him in the lineup for years.

(I'm not a big fan of Weber neither)
I much preferred Bergevin's comparison of Alzner to Chara. That was good for some guffaws.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Man, he wasted so much on Syl in Laval/St. John. I understand giving someone chances and believing in them shows support, but was he led astray by his pal, Duffy? Seems that way. Things have been getting better by the day since he left. WTF?

Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man, he wasted so much on Syl in Laval/St. John. I understand giving someone chances and believing in them shows support, but was he led astray by his pal, Duffy? Seems that way. Things have been getting better by the day since he left. WTF?

You mean, Dudley?

My confidence in Bergevin eroded quickly when he didn't support his "build through the draft" mantra with actions, when he hired Lefebvre and Therrien and had both overstay, when he lied about trading Subban, when he chose his dumbass coach over Subban, when he played hardball with Radulov and Markov and created a sad public spectable out of his negotiations with them, when he dumped his LHD in one fell swoop and when he waited until his 7th summer to begin getting rid of management deadwood. What a pathetic excuse of a GM he's been when you look at his overall performance.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
"I had to make that trade. I have a reason that I can't really tell you why, but if I could, you would probably understand."

UpGDX8S.gif

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
You mean, Dudley?

My confidence in Bergevin eroded quickly when he didn't support his "build through the draft" mantra with actions, when he hired Lefebvre and Therrien and had both overstay, when he lied about trading Subban, when he chose his dumbass coach over Subban, when he played hardball with Radulov and Markov and created a sad public spectable out of his negotiations with them, when he dumped his LHD in one fell swoop and when he waited until his 7th summer to begin getting rid of management deadwood. What a pathetic excuse of a GM he's been when you look at his overall performance.

Dudley, Daffy, Duffy, whatever. He's been great since the draft actually.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dudley, Daffy, Duffy, whatever. He's been great since the draft actually.

If you didn't eat so many pucks, maybe it might have come clearly out of your mouth the first time.

Yeah, whatever.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You mean, Dudley?

But, but we almost made the playoffs.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
That's on him. Friendships over the competencies... He had let them a free pass. Not judging them as a simple workers. Not being severe with them. Until their bad results pushed him some pressure on his back. Then he's reacting. That's the sad reality we endured with MB.

Reactions: puckeater

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
It's pretty eye opening how different team building is viewed in european soccer than it is in the NHL. Could you imagine Real Madrid clinging on to 33 year old Ronaldo? They're trying desperately to move Gareth Bale who just turns 30 this year. And yet here we are clinging on to an injury stricken soon to be 34 year old Shea Weber. Granted, there are different methods available to european soccer clubs, but Weber isn't exactly stuck here: he has a very movable contract.

It raises the question: what are we doing? Why are we doing it?

They're trying to m ove Bale because he sucks. It's also a different sport. And no one is going to take Bale because his wages and he sucks.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Whatever, he deserves another kick at the cat. Who wants to start all over again. So, we took part in his educational process. If he can improve on his performance of years previous we are winning. I think he'll be our GM for many more years to come barring something stupid happening under his watch. It's not like he trade Patrick Roy for a bag of peanuts.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This year's defence is better than last year's.
You can't get centers, they're not available.
I don't believe in windows.
Weber is a diamond in the rough.
Subban will be a Canadien for a long time.
etc.
Trades are hard was my biggest pet peeve

As much as I support the guy, there’s no denying them quotes......that Weber one is lost in translation though, I knew what he was trying to say, but it was funny as hell when he said it cause it made no sense :laugh:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The team has too many flaws that Bergevin can fix within a couple of seasons. This will take at least 3 years and a full rebuild.

As usual, the reality lies right between what the optimists and the pessimists say on this board.

We're probably not on the cusp of being a Cup contender. But when you think about it, the pieces needed can be found withing the next two years, easily. The real question is whether Bergevin is the man to do it. IMHO, he is not. He had the opportunity to capitalize off a great playoffs run in 2014 and had all the assets to push this team over the top, and did not.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
As usual, the reality lies right between what the optimists and the pessimists say on this board.

We're probably not on the cusp of being a Cup contender. But when you think about it, the pieces needed can be found withing the next two years, easily. The real question is whether Bergevin is the man to do it. IMHO, he is not. He had the opportunity to capitalize off a great playoffs run in 2014 and had all the assets to push this team over the top, and did not.

It's going to be real hard to find that elite talent.

Max Domi, in spite of being healthy all season, finished 47th in league scoring.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's going to be real hard to find that elite talent.

Max Domi, in spite of being healthy all season, finished 47th in league scoring.

Jim Nill did it.
Jarmo Kekalainen did it.
George McPhee did it.
Doug Wilson did it.

Is Bergevin able to do it? I strongly doubt it. But it's far from an impossible task. Add an elite winger and a strong top-4 LD to this team and they can surprise a lot of people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad