Marc Bergevin - Road Closed for Repair Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
The John Scott deal still puzzle me. I mean wtf was that?
It was a “Bergevin Bargain Bin Deal” no more no less. Why some thought the NHL owed us some kind of special favour was ridiculous.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Agreed with the general sense of his article and conclusion. After 7 years, we havent really progressed, missing the POs 3 out of the last 4 years, and that should be categorically unacceptable.

It would be fine if the Habs were continuously drafting in the lottery.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Last edited:

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Agreed with the general sense of his article and conclusion. After 7 years, we havent really progressed, missing the POs 3 out of the last 4 years, and that should be categorically unacceptable.
They own the media and most of the fan base is in la la land and are more focused on taking selfies and "experiencing" a new hotdog at a habs game. Winning? Who cares, get em next year bergie, go habs. That is the current landscape and it's not about to change.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A pure copy and past job from many a post here.

To be fair, he also quotes extensively from a piece by Martin Leclerc, who put his own personal spin and context on several arguments.

Both Leclerc and Kelly are scathing in their assessments and I'm sure they're not alone. Last summer wasn't enough to make up for all the crap MB has done over the length of his tenure. Some people just have a licence to fail. MB seems to have found a patsy in this ownership group, that keeps him getting chances he'd never be afforded in any other organization.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
To be fair, he also quotes extensively from a piece by Martin Leclerc, who put his own personal spin and context on several arguments.

Both Leclerc and Kelly are scathing in their assessments and I'm sure they're not alone. Last summer wasn't enough to make up for all the crap MB has done over the length of his tenure. Some people just have a licence to fail. MB seems to have found a patsy in this ownership group, that keeps him getting chances he'd never be afforded in any other organization.

"But even more damning, Bergevin continually drew the wrong conclusions from what he saw on the ice. Until the 2017-18 meltdown, Bergevin managed like the team was in win-now mode and he was so wrong".

This is the part of the article that caught my attention more than anything else, his poor judgement, his belief of what the team was as opposed to what everyone else sees and then the big change in direction. First make the big pitch for Tavares and then say we are building for the future, one contradiction after another. I also liked this: "That’s Bergevin’s other weakness — the terrible contracts. It’s clear it was a mistake to bring in Jonathan Drouin and that the trade was more about marketing than anything else". I have said this one about 20 times and it is true, the trade is not a complete disaster but give it time, we are getting there. I can't believe he is still here either and sadly I don't see him being let go anytime soon.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Almost makes you wonder if he's got some leverage on Molson that has made him bullet proof...

Reactions: Runner77

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Almost makes you wonder if he's got some leverage on Molson that has made him bullet proof...

I think that Molson genuinely likes what Bergevin brings to the table.

Unlike Gauthier, Bergevin is charismatic, has large muscles, and is good looking. This in turn lowers the standards of fans. They are now willing to enthusiastically accept mediocrity, and so Molson can laugh all the way to the bank.

Contrast to Gauthier. That man was a weird vegan nerd who lived in Vermont. He missed the playoffs just one season, and the city started having a meltdown. Molson probably never wants to go back to walking on that tightrope.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We used to think the same of MT with something on MB.

When you really step back and look at it all, the moron in all of this, is Geoff Mol$on. So, what has transpired, is that he has become a modern day Harold Ballard, in that the $$$ keeps rolling in, so everything must be OK. Until an article like that is written by a franco journalist, calling out Mol$on, then why would he change anything?

Mouse/Wheel Rinse/Repeat.............brutal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We used to think the same of MT with something on MB.

When you really step back and look at it all, the moron in all of this, is Geoff Mol$on. So, what has transpired, is that he has become a modern day Harold Ballard, in that the $$$ keeps rolling in, so everything must be OK. Until an article like that is written by a franco journalist, calling out Mol$on, then why would he change anything?

Mouse/Wheel Rinse/Repeat.............brutal.

Probably your 500th post that ends with the word "brutal". It's become your trademark.

The best part -- I've read all of them. :laugh:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's pretty eye opening how different team building is viewed in european soccer than it is in the NHL. Could you imagine Real Madrid clinging on to 33 year old Ronaldo? They're trying desperately to move Gareth Bale who just turns 30 this year. And yet here we are clinging on to an injury stricken soon to be 34 year old Shea Weber. Granted, there are different methods available to european soccer clubs, but Weber isn't exactly stuck here: he has a very movable contract.

It raises the question: what are we doing? Why are we doing it?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The John Scott deal still puzzle me. I mean wtf was that?

We obviously knew Tinordi had failed a doping test regardless of what was claimed after. Scott was a distraction for Phoenix, Tinordi would have become one for us. Tinordi's failed doping control wasn't as big a story in Phoenix. They were hoping Scott would go away if traded and sent in the AHL but that failed. All in all a nothing burger.

Exchanged the Tinordi scandal for another one easier to handle.

You beat me to it.

Although I think Scott was a bigger mess for us to handle than Tinordi was for Phoenix.

Reactions: Just this once

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's pretty eye opening how different team building is viewed in european soccer than it is in the NHL. Could you imagine Real Madrid clinging on to 33 year old Ronaldo? They're trying desperately to move Gareth Bale who just turns 30 this year. And yet here we are clinging on to an injury stricken soon to be 34 year old Shea Weber. Granted, there are different methods available to european soccer clubs, but Weber isn't exactly stuck here: he has a very movable contract.

I don't know what questions are being raised by this management group. There have been so many different statements in the past year or so, that there doesn't appear to be a clear sense of direction. The thing about not believing in windows is mind-boggling.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't know what questions are being raised by this management group. There have been so many different statements in the past year or so, that there doesn't appear to be a clear sense of direction. The thing about not believing in windows is mind-boggling.
That and the owner speaking about marketing and food after a terrible season was also nuts.

Reactions: BLONG7

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

I don't believe you can compare the two sports so easily. A 34yo guy in soccer still has to run for 90min (more or less 10km) without being able to recover/rest on the bench for a minute or two. Only a few soccer players still play over 35. In hockey, you still have a bunch of them.

Anyhow, we'll need a new GM if you want to see Weber out. I would believe that Bergevin thinks of Weber as of the Bruins like Chara. Both of them are seen as a strong presence in the locker room (and they're both captains) and they can play tough minutes for their team. Chara has stucked with Boston and he is now 42. Sure he hasn't had many injuries and you could argue that he maintains a healthy lifestyle but still... I have seen people on this board comparing the two. That makes me believe that Bergevin also has a high esteem of Weber. We'll still watch him in the lineup for years.

(I'm not a big fan of Weber neither)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad