Value of: Marc-Andre Fleury to the Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Chris Johnston speculated the following on his podcast:

“I think it’s reasonable to link Marc-Andre Fleury to EDM. I think that they understand what this season means. I see them trading for a D before the deadline and I see them getting another goaltender and that goaltender might be the reigning Vezina Trophy winner”

If he does waive, what would be the cost?
Fleury at 50% for Koskinen and a mid pick/B prospect?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
one big problem or should I say 7 million problems.

Just to engage the idea

Koskinen goes and his 4.5 mill--that leaves the oilers needing to find another 2.5 cap hit. Oilers are using all their LTIR already and I can not see the Hawks keeping money and not asking for a first

Reactions: Pertti and Taylorst

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
one big problem or should I say 7 million problems.

Just to engage the idea

Koskinen goes and his 4.5 mill--that leaves the oilers needing to find another 2.5 cap hit. Oilers are using all their LTIR already and I can not see the Hawks keeping money and not asking for a first

They would need to retain and I could seem them retaining for something other than a 1st to get something back for Fleury in a lost season instead of losing him for nothing after the season.

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
I think that this rumor makes a lot of sense. The Hawks will have a fire sale at the deadline and there won't be a lot of teams in need of a starting goalie. Therefore the cost won't be too high and the Oilers surely have a need there.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think Edmonton makes a lot of sense for Fleury, they may have to overpay though to get teams to do the whole double retention thing

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC and NotPetya

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's a good back-up option to have for the Oilers though.

A possibly very expensive backup option. For me there are really good goalies worth paying for, like Gibson, and then there is everyone else. There's perhaps a 50/50 chance Fleury will give you sub .900 goaltending in the playoffs. You might as well get Korpisalo if you can't get a better bet and if the price for Fleury doesn't come way down.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Fluery back in his early years playing in Pittsburgh was outstanding however I think he was overhyped simply because Pittsburgh was so talented that it hid some of his issues.

Crawford always outplayed fluery in head to head matchups and both goalies got drafted the same year.

While I thought it was a solid move to bring in a proven veteran goalie , the way he handled the trade and then to finally come here and let's all be honest he has stunk , he has let in to many soft goals .

I do think fluery gets moved sooner than later. The interim GM I think he is going to make some type of move soon

Reactions: NotPetya

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
not sure if i got it right but fleury at 50% for koskinen and a b prospect or mid pick ? edmonton would pick up a million in cap space to . i'm pretty sure it'll cost edmonton a whole lot f..... more than that . you know smith will be injured by than . would you wanna be riding fleury or koskinen ?

don't forget how bad chicago sucks when considering fleurys play

Reactions: Fisticuffer

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
not sure if i got it right but fleury at 50% for koskinen and a b prospect or mid pick ? edmonton would pick up a million in cap space to . i'm pretty sure it'll cost edmonton a whole lot f..... more than that . you know smith will be injured by than . would you wanna be riding fleury or koskinen ?

don't forget how bad chicago sucks when considering fleurys play

Chicago does suck. Smith doesn’t have to be worried about being injured in the future, as he is currently injured. Fleury is a pure rental. 50% and Koskinen is likely a 2nd round pick. Who else is going to take Fleury at his current contract (for more than that)? NO ONE.

Reactions: TFHockey

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Caps could give a better offer of Samsonov($2 million only, still RFA)+Schultz($4 million only) for Fleury($6 million, $1 million retained by the Hawks).

did something happen to samsonov? He was very hyped recently and granted this is just based off the stats i looked up but it looks like he has had a slow start

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Caps could give a better offer of Samsonov($2 million only, still RFA)+Schultz($4 million only) for Fleury($6 million, $1 million retained by the Hawks).

Rock and roll, Caps. The Oilers should have no interest in getting into a bidding war for MAF. No one should.

Oilers to give up a first for him? Holland can't be that dumb... can he?

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Oilers are giving the better Goalie AND need to add?

Last year was fleury's last hurrah. He was pretty bad in 20 and average in 19. Been trending down for a while. He's done.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers are giving the better Goalie AND need to add?

Last year was fleury's last hurrah. He was pretty bad in 20 and average in 19. Been trending down for a while. He's done.

Caps have a better d-group lineup than Vegas and the Hawks. They are only allowing 27 shots against per game, yet the goaltending is still too inexperienced at times. Caps basically are using 2 backup goalies in Vanecek/Samsonov.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Fleury was given away in the summer. His play certainly hasn't done much to make me think the value that he has should have gone up since then even if that was a cap dump move.

Plus, doesn't Fleury have a partial NTC or something? I know Edmonton might be a contender now, but I don't see him waiving for Edmonton when he's a hair away from hanging up the pads.

I'd rather wait it out a bit and see what shakes loose when other teams have realized their season will not include the playoffs. I'd rather give a chance to a guy like Bernier if we could get him from New Jersey, Varlamov from the Islanders, the often discussed Gibson from Anaheim, or maybe even one of the guys in Seattle right now. Goalies will shake loose. It isn't "Fleury or nothing", and I just don't see how the money can work for Edmonton. And if the money COULD work, I'd prefer to pay more and get Gibson.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
As a Flames fan this is my dream situation. Oilers paying futures for MAF to choke in the playoffs again...

So, I don’t think it's a good move for the Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad