Value of: Marc-Andre Fleury to the Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanConn

I thought MAF barely even wanted to go to Chicago? If the Hawks can retain salary, Fleury as part of a tandem could be great, but I don't think he's the guy that will stand on his head and bring them to the Cup finals all by himself. Try for Price instead.

Reactions: HabsQC

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
I think it'll be something along the lines of Fleury (with retention) for Koskinen and a Conditional 2nd round pick (which changes to a 3rd if they can't get past the first round).

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Fleury is finished? He won the Vezina a few months ago but has looked bad in a few games to start the year behind a terrible team/coach with a ton of distractions. He’d be fine on a competent team.
Fleury is finished.
Oilers need a better, longer term solution that MAF.

Reactions: glenbuis

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Fleury retained for Koskinen plus a 1st/2nd and prospect makes sense. I think the Oilers will have to pay a little more than a 2nd to ditch Koskinen too.
I think it'll be something along the lines of Fleury (with retention) for Koskinen and a Conditional 2nd round pick (which changes to a 3rd if they can't get past the first round).

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Chicago does suck. Smith doesn’t have to be worried about being injured in the future, as he is currently injured. Fleury is a pure rental. 50% and Koskinen is likely a 2nd round pick. Who else is going to take Fleury at his current contract (for more than that)? NO ONE.
fleury at 50% is a bargain. much better than koskinen

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Fleury retained for Koskinen plus a 1st/2nd and prospect makes sense. I think the Oilers will have to pay a little more than a 2nd to ditch Koskinen too.
that's what i was thinking . even if it was a 2nd for fleury and a fourth for taking koskinen . i can't see many oiler fans refusing koskinen straight up for fleury at 50 % retained. gotta pay something for that .

Reactions: Son of Petter

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
MAF offered up for free two summers ago and ZERO takers
MAF traded to Hawks for a D-level Prospect
MAF traded to Oilers A = 1st+++++++
i don't think anyone is saying a first +++++ but to take back koskinen and retention on fleury resulting in a million in cap space should be worth something no ?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
i don't think anyone is saying a first +++++ but to take back koskinen and retention on fleury resulting in a million in cap space should be worth something no ?
Very little considering that neither the retention nor Kosko will be on the books past this season. And it’s not like the Hawks will need that cap post trade deadline to end of the year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

No, Koskinen is an expiring contract and it's not like he's even playing that bad this year (.920 save percentage). The Oilers would just want someone more seasoned for the playoffs who's still younger than Smith.

I believe Koskinen is friends with Lankinen too, so that may appeal to Chicago.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Let’s say the retention isn’t the full 50%, but rather 36% to even out his contract with Koskinen. Would Chicago be better off gaining a mid pick or prospect in a lost season or keeping Fleury and his full cap hit?

I can’t see a scenario where Chicago doesn’t entertain that idea.

Reactions: spaghtti

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
As a Flames fan I hope to hell this doesn't happen. This is the year for the Oilers to make a deep run or win it all before the absolute cap hell that comes next year (though most Oilers fans won't admit it). Fleury can be a head case at times but he can also be an absolute game changer, I don't like that gamble. Stick with geriatric Smith and Kostinem until next year please.

Reactions: glenbuis

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Taking back Koskinen isn't worth anything. He's a capable NHL goalie on the last year of his deal. He isn't negative value. The retention has some value, sure, but not the type of value that takes it from "here, take this guy for free" to "this guy is worth a 1st rounder".

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As a Flames fan I hope to hell this doesn't happen. This is the year for the Oilers to make a deep run or win it all before the absolute cap hell that comes next year (though most Oilers fans won't admit it). Fleury can be a head case at times but he can also be an absolute game changer, I don't like that gamble. Stick with geriatric Smith and Kostinem until next year please.
Yes I agree some cap hell is coming. It will likely just mean that we lose one of Yamamoto or Puljujarvi. Theres also an opportunity if our young goalie Skinner continues to excel. That could give some years of relief.

I do think it's an all in year though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yes I agree some cap hell is coming. It will likely just mean that we lose one of Yamamoto or Puljujarvi. Theres also an opportunity if our young goalie Skinner continues to excel. That could give some years of relief.

Weird, I was told the Oilers had plenty of cap to burn on buying out Neal.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with Puljujarvi but at this point Yama isn’t earning much of a raise.

Koskinen, Turris, Russell coming off the books is almost 8M. They could deal Barrie for another 4.5M and possibly Kassian for another 3.2M, Archibald is another 1.5 plus Klefboms 4M LTIR. So there’s money there, no doubt it’ll be tight but they’ll be able to make it work.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
one big problem or should I say 7 million problems.

Just to engage the idea

Koskinen goes and his 4.5 mill--that leaves the oilers needing to find another 2.5 cap hit. Oilers are using all their LTIR already and I can not see the Hawks keeping money and not asking for a first

He won't cost us 7 million though. He's much cheaper at the TDL and I'm sure they could retain a little bit to bring him near 2M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad