Value of: Marc-Andre Fleury to the Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I believe MAF is still a Vezina calibre goalie(like he was just a few months ago). Being traded this summer from a SC contender to a lottery team at this point in his career was a huge blow.
I'd pay a 1st plus Koskinen for MAF @50%. Hell, the Oilers once paid a 1st for Dwayne Roloson and went from a bubble team to game 7 of the SCF. This team is much closer to contention than they were
Why would a regressing Fleury @50% be worth a 1st now when 2 months ago (after coming off a Vezina year) he was traded for literally nothing?

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Give them time......talk to us in April when they take their usual swan dive, even with the two best players in the world.

Until then, keep hating and living in the past. Not sure why it's so hard for people to grasp, but the Oilers are a deeper and better team compared to last year because the team CHANGES when other players are added. Really simple concept that people on these boards don't understand.

Reactions: zar

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Until then, keep hating and living in the past. Not sure why it's so hard for people to grasp, but the Oilers are a deeper and better team compared to last year because the team CHANGES when other players are added. Really simple concept that people on these boards don't understand.
They should have made a CHANGE where they really needed it....in net.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Today's version of Fleury isn't the goalie that's going to get a team a Cup. He'd be a good backup or 1B option at 50% retained but how many teams going into the playoffs will need him? People thinking that a retained Fleury will get Chicago a 1st are out to lunch.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Considering that Koskinen is 8-1-0 and a decent .918% playing for a very porous defensive I see no reason the oilers want to over pay now.
If anything the trade deadline would be a better scenario as Koskinen is off the book and is 4.5 mill contract then inexistent

Also MAF is way too old for being a smart choice for the Oilers, Smith is Old, currently injured and is near retirement, Koskinen is somewhat younger but still aging too.
And please, Korpisalo is Not an improvement on Koskinen. is his a perennial sub .900 goalie playing for a team with a better defense.

Oliers should go big or go home at the deadline.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Today's version of Fleury isn't the goalie that's going to get a team a Cup. He'd be a good backup or 1B option at 50% retained but how many teams going into the playoffs will need him? People thinking that a retained Fleury will get Chicago a 1st are out to lunch.

I think a team can win a Cup with him. Especially if he gets hot in the playoffs. He doesn’t get us a 1st though because goalies don’t get that kind of return at the trade deadline. I’d say a 2nd and either a later pick or a prospect is fair if he keeps improving and we retain 50%. He has a .920 save percentage in 5 games in November.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think a team can win a Cup with him. Especially if he gets hot in the playoffs. He doesn’t get us a 1st though because goalies don’t get that kind of return at the trade deadline. I’d say a 2nd and either a later pick or a prospect is fair if he keeps improving and we retain 50%. He has a .920 save percentage in 5 games in November.
I do think he's an upgrade on Koskinen and Smith, but I don't know if he's worth much in trade either. I'd offer a mid round pick and Koskinen for him easily, but I wouldn't offer the type of pick that would actually make it interesting to Chicago, at least not right now.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
They made a change where they needed it most. Depth. Goaltending isn't why they lost to Winnipeg last year. Goaltending isn't holding them back this year.

I would argue that the Oilers are suspect defensively and are outscoring their problems. Koskinen has been surprisingly good. Even Skinner looked good. However we need one more 3rd line center (Maybe McLeod can be this, I dunno) and probably two better defensemen.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would argue that the Oilers are suspect defensively and are outscoring their problems. Koskinen has been surprisingly good. Even Skinner looked good. However we need one more 3rd line center (Maybe McLeod can be this, I dunno) and probably two better defensemen.
I would agree with that. I've posted a couple of places that I want them to tighten up defensively. It's hard to know what we need for a goalie when ours is being left out to dry so often. Both Skinner and Koskinen have made some great saves that have kept us up in games. Two better defenseman would be nice, but it essentially means we would need to overhaul the bottom pair, which would be fine with me in theory. In practice, it may be more difficult. I guess that's why we talk about what needs to be done rather than getting it done, ha ha.

Reactions: TFHockey

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I do think he's an upgrade on Koskinen and Smith, but I don't know if he's worth much in trade either. I'd offer a mid round pick and Koskinen for him easily, but I wouldn't offer the type of pick that would actually make it interesting to Chicago, at least not right now.

Right now, he wouldn’t have the kind of value that he should have at the trade deadline if he continues playing like his November numbers. I also don’t necessarily think Koskinen will play this well all season so anything less than a 2nd round value would be a no from me unless Fleury doesn’t improve.

Reactions: TFHockey

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Aaaaah Edmonton....the goaltenders graveyard.
I don’t understand the constant ragging on Oilers goaltending. It’s been fine for like 3 years now?

MAF isn’t an upgrade on koskinen, for double the price not to mention the assets.

The Oilers need a number 1 legit goalie, but like so do 15 other teams. That player isn’t available via trade, especially mid season, and the Oilers are 11-3 with a team SV% of a .914, would be higher is Skinner didn’t get hung out to dry in the 2 games he’s played.

It’s far from panic time

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Right now, he wouldn’t have the kind of value that he should have at the trade deadline if he continues playing like his November numbers. I also don’t necessarily think Koskinen will play this well all season so anything less than a 2nd round value would be a no from me unless Fleury doesn’t improve.

I think a 2nd is a stretch even if he can raise his sv% into the .910 range. Considering he has some trade protection, the Hawks have to find a team with a need for a goalie, cap space to take on 3.5-7M st the deadline that he would accept a trade to. That’s a pretty narrow thread.

Of course he could be desperate to get out of that trash pile and waive his protection for a team that has a chance to go on a run but possibly he’s just content to stick it out for the rest of the year and pick his spot in the off-season, doubt he wants to move again mid year.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I think a 2nd is a stretch even if he can raise his sv% into the .910 range. Considering he has some trade protection, the Hawks have to find a team with a need for a goalie, cap space to take on 3.5-7M st the deadline that he would accept a trade to. That’s a pretty narrow thread.

Of course he could be desperate to get out of that trash pile and waive his protection for a team that has a chance to go on a run but possibly he’s just content to stick it out for the rest of the year and pick his spot in the off-season, doubt he wants to move again mid year.

His numbers for November are in the .920s. He just won a Vezina last year. I think he would go to Edmonton as you guys look like a serious contender. Especially if Koskinen/Smith cool off. If his numbers are in the .920s, I think he should fetch a 2nd and maybe even a small plus if we’re retaining 50%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad