Value of: Marc-Andre Fleury to the Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Very little considering that neither the retention nor Kosko will be on the books past this season. And it’s not like the Hawks will need that cap post trade deadline to end of the year.
in that case just go with koskinen . that should be reassuring

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Taking back Koskinen isn't worth anything. He's a capable NHL goalie on the last year of his deal. He isn't negative value. The retention has some value, sure, but not the type of value that takes it from "here, take this guy for free" to "this guy is worth a 1st rounder".
if you read the first sentence

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
math does not add up--Oiler are at the cap and have already spent most of their LTIR
Cap is prorated though. The Oilers will have more guys on the LTIR at some point this season to create a little more space there. MAF's contract would be prorated at the deadline, so the reamining 2.5M would actually be roughly $550,000 in cap space. If my math is correct (and it may not be as I'm not a whiz at this), theoretically, the Oilers would only need minimal retention from Chicago. Or to include another expiring contract like Turris.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
in that case just go with koskinen . that should be reassuring
Let’s be real. Fleury in the playoffs is no where near reassuring. Kosko isn’t either. A hot Smith can do some damage though and is still an option. We’ll have to see how he plays down the stretch.

Either way, the most Fleury should get is a 4th round pick and that’s being generous.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
math does not add up--Oiler are at the cap and have already spent most of their LTIR

Their cap hit is prorated at the TDL, so it's (7m/days in season) X (days left post TDL), but yes this does require us to accrue some cap space. However, we wouldn't need to clear an entire 7M, just whatever that prorated amount is less any retention. Like if Eichel were to come back after the TDL, he could only cost Vegas about $2.5M at the end of the season, rather than his entire 10M cap hit.

This article has an example from last year, using a $2M player.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
No need to be condescending. I read it. And I adjusted your hyperbolic "1st+++++++" statement to be just a first, as that actually has been mentioned as the cost some feel it would take to take Koskinen, which is ridiculous.
no i had said a 2nd and a fourth but carry on with koskinen . good luck

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Let’s be real. Fleury in the playoffs is no where near reassuring. Kosko isn’t either. A hot Smith can do some damage though and is still an option. We’ll have to see how he plays down the stretch.

Either way, the most Fleury should get is a 4th round pick and that’s being generous.
smith won't last through a playoffs . better have a viable option to go to .

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Koskinen is a top 15 goalie in the league this season. I don't think Fleury is a top 15 goalie this season. Koskinen > Fleury.

Fleury's cap hit is also alot. Oilers would be dumb to do Chicago a favor and take that albatross Fleury contract off Chicago's books.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Koskinen is a top 15 goalie in the league this season. I don't think Fleury is a top 15 goalie this season. Koskinen > Fleury.

Fleury's cap hit is also alot. Oilers would be dumb to do Chicago a favor and take that albatross Fleury contract off Chicago's books.
Context matters. Switch goalies today and the stats radically shift. Fleury won the Vezina last year. Part of that win goes to the quality of Vegas' defense, but that's just more proof that context matters.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I believe MAF is still a Vezina calibre goalie(like he was just a few months ago). Being traded this summer from a SC contender to a lottery team at this point in his career was a huge blow.
I'd pay a 1st plus Koskinen for MAF @50%. Hell, the Oilers once paid a 1st for Dwayne Roloson and went from a bubble team to game 7 of the SCF. This team is much closer to contention than they were

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
These posts are so silly.

"You don't like my idea, so good luck with your current player." So weak.
sorry i'm just a neutral fan that would love to see a canadian team win the cup . the oilers could be in the mix . just see them being better with fleury . koskinens numbers don't support the argument today but some goalies can be hot and cold .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I believe MAF is still a Vezina calibre goalie(like he was just a few months ago). Being traded this summer from a SC contender to a lottery team at this point in his career was a huge blow.
I'd pay a 1st plus Koskinen for MAF @50%. Hell, the Oilers once paid a 1st for Dwayne Roloson and went from a bubble team to game 7 of the SCF. This team is much closer to contention than they were
i agree with your view however there are many oiler fans who are seemingly more content with koskinen . either way i hope the oilers or flames make a long deep run .

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
i agree with your view however there are many oiler fans who are seemingly more content with koskinen . either way i hope the oilers or flames make a long deep run .
Oh, I know. I just ventured into the twitterverse with the same sentiment. Apparently, a few Oilers fans are having a bad day :laugh:

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
If Fleury is producing the way he’s capable of, him at 50% retained should return at least a 2nd. Especially if a 3rd team comes in and also retains 50%. I get that we got him for free, but Vegas was cap strapped at the time and we took advantage. Much different situation with Fleury at 50% (and possibly 25%) salary at the TD on an expiring deal.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
MAF offered up for free two summers ago and ZERO takers
MAF traded to Hawks for a D-level Prospect
MAF traded to Oilers A = 1st+++++++
Pretty much this, and to top it off Fluery is off to probably the worst start of his career....

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I'd rather pay up for Gibson then pay anything for fleury. He's too hot/cold. Thats the exact problem we have with koskinen. Except hes more expensive than Koski.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
oilers shouldnt approach fleury especially if they wanna be a threat in the playoffs. why would they go ahead and get one of the biggest playoff chokers of the decade?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fleury retained for Koskinen plus a 1st/2nd and prospect makes sense. I think the Oilers will have to pay a little more than a 2nd to ditch Koskinen too.

At the trade deadline Koskinen would have very little money left . I can guarantee you it would not cost a 1st to move him . Looking at his numbers this year and consider his interview where he said being away from his young family effected his play last year I can see some GM giving him a shot over 30 games or so . Having said that Koskinen family is with I'm in Edmonton this year and I am sure Chicago would be on his no trade list . Even if Edmonton approached him to ask him to accept a trade to Chicago I am sure he would say no with everything going on there .

Reactions: Son of Petter

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It’ll be interesting to see what they do with Puljujarvi but at this point Yama isn’t earning much of a raise.

Koskinen, Turris, Russell coming off the books is almost 8M. They could deal Barrie for another 4.5M and possibly Kassian for another 3.2M, Archibald is another 1.5 plus Klefboms 4M LTIR. So there’s money there, no doubt it’ll be tight but they’ll be able to make it work.

Got to add Nurse's raise in there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad