GDT: Maple Leafs @ Senators | Game 69, Nice Edition | Sat Mar 18 2023, 7PM | CBC, SN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
That's a good point. The Senators seem to get up for games against the better teams and kind of sleep walk against lesser opponents. They haven't developed the consistency or the killer instinct yet.
They play well when they’re emotionally invested. Look at how they responded after the Avalanche no-whistle 5th goal. Sign of a young roster.

Reactions: Big Muddy and bert

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I reserve the right to think sths that sell their Leafs tickets are assholes, no matter how self-righteously they defend their budget-managed support of the team.

Ottawa-based Leafs fans that chirp Sens fans for the blue crowds invading our rink are the least self-aware idiots you’ll ever meet.

Reactions: Senovision

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
How is the ratio of Leafs-Sens fans getting worse at CTC?

It used to be 50-50ish, now it's like 70-30 in favour of the Leafs.
To the Leafs fans reacting to this post:

7f2r1u.jpg

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
One thing about sogaard is that the guy can really focus himself after some bad goals. Like watching back some highlights the dude came up massive at 4-3 (yes it shouldn’t even be 4-3 to begin with but he absolutely has some it factor about him.

Much more so that Numb Hand Gustafson amirite

I reserve the right to think sths that sell their Leafs tickets are assholes, no matter how self-righteously they defend their budget-managed support of the team.

Ottawa-based Leafs fans that chirp Sens fans for the blue crowds invading our rink are the least self-aware idiots you’ll ever meet.
It just…. Doesn’t make much sense? Like why not just give the tickets to Sens fans?

Reactions: Emrasie

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They play well when they’re emotionally invested. Look at how they responded after the Avalanche no-whistle 5th goal. Sign of a young roster.
And their style of play relies on emotion. Thats why they are so bad on the road.

What makes you believe that its the STH to blame here? Do you have anything to back it up or its just that you arent one?

Reactions: Flamingo

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
My favourite thing about last night was the exhilaration of TWO game tying goals late in the third followed by domination in OT.

My second favourite part is knowing this leafs team will not go deep, and the window is closing (they will either lose AM or get crippled with his next contract).

We outclassed Toronto, got robbed in a game against the reigning champs who were firing on all cylinders. I feel like we have a chance every night these days.

The Sens team is going to be good as we mature and get experience. Stop laying eggs against shit teams, clean it up defensively (new coach?), get some goaltending, grow and face adversity, find ways to win rather than lose.

F the leafs. We will win a cup before they do.

Reactions: Bileur

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
And their style of play relies on emotion. Thats why they are so bad on the road.

What makes you believe that its the STH to blame here? Do you have anything to back it up or its just that you arent one?

Oh, they're not to blame. Myself, I go to about 5 games a year, and have seen the Leafs here twice (2000 playoffs, and a regular-season game 10 years ago).

But I condemn their turncoat frugality. It's about as meaningful as how much contempt I have for Auston Matthews.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Sens fans naturally want to love and embrace their players as we did with Alfie, Fisher, Redden, Spezza, EK. Coming from a town like Ottawa we want everyone to fit in and have fun.

Ottawa fans needing to keep the Sens players close first before asking them to win is a characteristic of this city. Small town mentality means We would rather the players like the city first and make sure they are happy before we put the demands of winning on them.

Yes, I know and that is all fine. But, if some fans wants to criticize continuous poor performances and long losing streaks, then that should be completely understandable too.

I don't think any player is immune to criticism. Especially players on this Team

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
You made a whole thread about having the weakest leadership. If that's not a shot at Tkachuk then I don't know what is

If you go look at it again, I did not made that thread.

And if you go look closely I actually posted more on that thread after the Calgary or Edmonton game. Before I probably just had maybe 2 posts there.

And if you actually read my one of my longer posts there (responding to Aragon), you will see I am not pointing the Finger at Tkachuk, rather the whole leadership core including the coaching. Because some Leadership also falls under the Coaching, as well

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

And if you go look closely I actually posted more on that thread after the Calgary or Edmonton game. Before I probably just had maybe 2 posts there.

And if you actually read my one of my longer posts there (responding to Aragon), you will see I am not pointing the Finger at Tkachuk, rather the whole leadership core including the coaching. Because some Leadership also falls under the Coaching, as well
You were congratulating Agent Zub for creating that thread with one of your posts. First post, page 7.

Giroux is part of this leadership group is he a terrible leader too?

Does this look familiar?

@Agent Zub

Sir, you should get a Medal for creating the most accurate Thread of the season!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Your complaints, and I don’t know how old you are, are exactly the same that was said between 99 and 04.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Why do you think scalpers are fans that would otherwise cheer on the team?
I don't know because...that's not what I said. I said professional scalpers are part of the problem. They are a separate entity from anyone who considers themselves a fan and resells their tickets in some fashion.
Idk, doesn't seem like something that only fans can do, I'm also curious why you think all those Leafs fans in attendance bought on the secondary market, rather than save their money and not pay a 30% premium you're saying the scalpers are charging.
I categorized them as fans who stay away from Leaf games because of the "atmosphere" as being part of the problem. Abstaining from attending is creating a catch-22 where the arena continuously gets more and more full with visiting fans because hometown fans don't want to go. So while not every ticket purchased by a visiting fan is bought on resale, home fans abstaining from purchasing is also opening opportunities for more visiting fans.
Fans staying away because of the atmosphere is definitely an issue, that doesn't mean those sens fans are going out and buying tickets to sell them to Leafs fans at a profit though, that seems like really bizarre assumption, STH at least already have the tickets.
That's not what I said. There are different categories of people who are responsible in this mess.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know because...that's not what I said. I said professional scalpers are part of the problem. They are a separate entity from anyone who considers themselves a fan and resells their tickets in some fashion.
Ok, so not relevant to your initial comment
I categorized them as fans who stay away from Leaf games because of the "atmosphere" as being part of the problem. Abstaining from attending is creating a catch-22 where the arena continuously gets more and more full with visiting fans because hometown fans don't want to go. So while not every ticket purchased by a visiting fan is bought on resale, home fans abstaining from purchasing is also opening opportunities for more visiting fans.
Again, not particularly relevant
That's not what I said. There are different categories of people who are responsible in this mess.

he problem here is you've move the goal posts from your original post, you said "God it’s so irritating that so many Sens fans would rather make a buck than fill the barn to support their own team" in reference to how many Leafs fans were at the game, which Bert interpreted as singling out STH as reselling their tickets rather than support the team..

That statement doesn't seem to include professional scalpers, or casual scalpers that aren't sens fans, it seems to imply STH and maybe the odd non STH trying to do some casual scalping, my comments where purely to try and figure out what other possible groups you might have meant, now that you've cleared up that you didn't mean any of those other things it's pretty clear you did in fact mean, and single out STH since the initial comment wasn't about people who just chose to avoid the game due to the atmosphere, but about those trying to profit rather than attend.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
You were congratulating Agent Zub for creating that thread with one of your posts. First post, page 7.

Does this look familiar?

@Agent Zub

Sir, you should get a Medal for creating the most accurate Thread of the season!
I just used the “ignore thread” function for the first time for that leadership thread. Ridiculous starting position that leads to ridiculous discussion. I’m happy not to see it bumped in my feed anymore.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ok, so not relevant to your initial comment

Again, not particularly relevant

he problem here is you've move the goal posts from your original post, you said "God it’s so irritating that so many Sens fans would rather make a buck than fill the barn to support their own team" in reference to how many Leafs fans were at the game, which Bert interpreted as singling out STH as reselling their tickets rather than support the team..

That statement doesn't seem to include professional scalpers, or casual scalpers that aren't sens fans, it seems to imply STH and maybe the odd non STH trying to do some casual scalping, my comments where purely to try and figure out what other possible groups you might have meant, now that you've cleared up that you didn't mean any of those other things it's pretty clear you did in fact mean, and single out STH since the initial comment wasn't about people who just chose to avoid the game due to the atmosphere, but about those trying to profit rather than attend.
Nope, not moving any goalposts. My initial statement is still correct as is the follow up that explains why “Sens fans” isn’t simply limited to STHs. You can do the math yourself, if you like, on how many estimated STHs we have now and how many Leaf fans attended the game last night. A sizable number of STHs would have had to resell their tickets for the Leaf numbers to represent that % of attendance, which would validate the argument that STHs are, in fact, partly to blame in this embarrassing mess.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Does this look familiar?

@Agent Zub

Yes, I do feel that Agent Zub has a strong point. It does show time in and time again that the leadership group is mentally weak. Not just because they lose games, but the way they lose games, and then completely fall apart and go on long stretches of winless games, looking absolutely terrible in the process

Maybe Giroux is not a good leader. I mean I wouldn't call hi terrible, but is there any data that backs up the fact that he is a good leader? Has he won anything? Or lead a Team to anything substantial, on a consistent bases. His leadership did not came through last year in Florida. Florida literally fell apart under his short leadership stint.

Also, if you are going to call Alfredsson and Karlsson bad leaders, going by that standards, then yes Giroux is a terrible leader.

The thing is when I came back to this thread after the Oilers loss, you assumed I am trying to take a direct shot as Tkachuk, which I wasn't (We all know how sensitive and defensive you are when it comes to Brady) But the fact of the matter is I wasn't calling out Tkachuk but a large group of players including the Coaches or whoever is in that leadership role behind the scenes.

When this Thread was created the fact did pointed towards this point being more true than wrong (be it way early to judge or not, is betides the point) They went on a good run, made me rethink that maybe its not, and they have finally came off age, but as I started to think that, they proved me wrong or right again (depends how you want to look at it) and in the current state and what I have witness from their play and results, I have to lean towards the fact that indeed this team does have a weak leadership core.

Maybe in the future, probably most likely and I hope to death it does change and this post does look silly, but for now they haven't shown much for us to think otherwise

And finally I am not implying that Tkachuk is a bad captain or should be the Captain. I am more than fine with his game, especially offensively. His 5on5 game is gradually improving, is not there where I like it to be but its its getting there. Defensively he still needs a lot of work but with time that will come

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Your complaints, and I don’t know how old you are, are exactly the same that was said between 99 and 04.

I believe you have quoted me twice but both times I did not get your point for me to even respond properly

please make your point more clear

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
"Leadership" is such a nebulous term. Looks more like a young emotional team that is not quite good enough to be in the playoffs this season. Especially considering the injuries they have endured.

No shame in that. If they put another streak together at the right time they could have snuck in. Sucks that it didn't happen. Lost too many tight games in November and had a razor thin margin.

I'm glad that there have been lots of great games, and reasons to be both excited and disappointed rather than apathetic.

It feels like this team can win any game they are in, which makes it more disappointing when they make big mistakes, can't convert, or start slow.

Reactions: vandelay

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nope, not moving any goalposts. My initial statement is still correct as is the follow up that explains why “Sens fans” isn’t simply limited to STHs. You can do the math yourself, if you like, on how many estimated STHs we have now and how many Leaf fans attended the game last night. A sizable number of STHs would have had to resell their tickets for the Leaf numbers to represent that % of attendance, which would validate the argument that STHs are, in fact, partly to blame in this embarrassing mess.
So as @bert suggested, your initial statement was singling out out STH, glad we could clear that up.

Reactions: bert

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
What makes you believe that it’s the STH to blame here? Do you have anything to back it up or it’s just that you arent one?
Anthony Leblanc:

“But one of our challenges is so many of our season seat members just turn around and sell their tickets for the Toronto and Montreal games because they can make a lot of money.”

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Anthony Leblanc:

“But one of our challenges is so many of our season seat members just turn around and sell their tickets for the Toronto and Montreal games because they can make a lot of money.”

This shit is going to make me turn in the Joker

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

I know a couple of STHs who don Sens gear for all the games they attend, except the Leafs games, where they unabashedly wear blue sweaters. They don't lose any sleep over it. Neither do I. But I condemn them to the 3rd plane of hell, alongside Darcy Tucker.

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
"Leadership" is such a nebulous term. Looks more like a young emotional team that is not quite good enough to be in the playoffs this season. Especially considering the injuries they have endured.

No shame in that. If they put another streak together at the right time they could have snuck in. Sucks that it didn't happen. Lost too many tight games in November and had a razor thin margin.

I'm glad that there have been lots of great games, and reasons to be both excited and disappointed rather than apathetic.

It feels like this team can win any game they are in, which makes it more disappointing when they make big mistakes, can't convert, or start slow.
4 out of 5 post. Lacks the standard hyperbole for it to be a 5/5.

We're close. Really hope Norris can stay healthy next year. Add a formenton and one more quality bottom 6 and we're in the playoffs next year.

Reactions: Dionysus and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Anthony Leblanc:

Fun Fact did you know as a STH those are the only games that you pay less than what you would if you bought tickets the day of the game. Maybe they should lower the price of ST then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad