Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He was a bit sheltered with Tavares having the C and taking alot of heat...now that will be gone the pressure will ramp up even more

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
God this is amazing. Tavares would have been immortalized on Long Island. Now he has the legacy of the guy that went home, couldn’t lead the dream team to success in the playoffs or a cup, and to top it off he embarrassingly gets the “C” taken away.

Last I checked he has 1 more year on his deal. I wouldn't take victory laps yet..

Reactions: Voight

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Awesome, it's about time. JT is a great guy and all but he just doesn't have that influence and it was especially on display in the playoffs, need a guy the troops can rally around. Hopefully they'll make it more of a succession, rather than stripping JT, that would be awkward af.

Love the decision though.
I mean AM is the most chill dude and while that isn't a bad thing he doesn't scream captain and he definitely doesn't lead by example come games that matter. The teams best player doesn't always make the best captain. Hell Tanev would be the better choice and why now? I'm not one of those shit on the leafs type of guy but this to me screams deflecting from the fact that despite all the talk of major change, the team is once again top heavy with the same core that has failed year after year to get it done.

Brad is not a good GM and Shanny is not a good president and this is just another example.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
God this is amazing. Tavares would have been immortalized on Long Island. Now he has the legacy of the guy that went home, couldn’t lead the dream team to success in the playoffs or a cup, and to top it off he embarrassingly gets the “C” taken away.
Make ya think... he'd rather be a loser on toronto than an "immortal" on garbage long island 🤷

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It is embarrassing to be stripped of the captaincy period. Add in the fact he posted "Not everyday you get to live a childhood dream" less than 30 minutes after signing in Toronto and you will see why it is funny
Sure, but it is not embarrassing to relinquish the captaincy. The last player to do that before Tavares was Milan Hejduk- he did so in favor of Landeskog.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
I'm sorry but you Leafs fans spent all of the 2018 offseason teasing islander fans, and saying we shouldn't be mad our captain bailed on us after saying for an entire year how he never wanted to play anywhere but Long Island

Also here is a reminder that the Islanders have won just as many playoff series in Toronto as Tavares has won through his ENTIRE CAREER

Reactions: dukeofjive

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sorry but you Leafs fans spent all of the 2018 offseason teasing islander fans, and saying we shouldn't be mad our captain bailed on us after saying for an entire year how he never wanted to play anywhere but Long Island

Also here is a reminder that the Islanders have won just as many playoff series in Toronto as Tavares has won through his ENTIRE CAREER
Yes, the Islanders had a couple of runs to the Conference Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad