Confirmed with Link: Mangiapane to Washington for 2025 2nd round pick (via Avalanche)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
We have almost 30 million in cap room now. Imagine DeBrusk is on his way, not sure what else I'd be stepping out on if I was Conroy. Maybe another dman.

Hope he doesn't get too loose with it

Reactions: Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It baffles me that so many people are talking about retention and how they didn't think he'd be worth a 2nd without it... He's not really overpaid, that's the going rate for mid-late 20s players that aren't a liability defensively and can put up 20g/40p. It's like people see the occasional good value signing, and forget they aren't the norm.

A late 2nd for Mangiapane makes perfect sense. If it were a pick originally belonging to a lesser team, it probably would have been 2 x 3rd, or a 3rd and a prospect.

Reactions: Nanuuk

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I’ve said it before, but Conroy has done an absolutely incredible job in just one year. He might not get the most value in every trade but his overall vision is exactly what this team needs and has needed for a decade+.

This is just another excellent asset management move, and realistically it won’t matter if it’s a mid 2nd or late 2nd. Or if we got a late 2nd for Zad instead of a 3rd, Or a 2024 first for Marky instead of a 2025 1st. All of that stuff is marginal in the grand scheme of things when he has the right vision of building through the draft.

Call it a retool, a rebuild, whatever you want to call it. He’s building something here from the ground up. In Conroy I trust

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Time to take on some ugly contract and pile up more picks

Krug 3 years left at $6.5m
Killorn 3 years left at $6.25m

We got to do what Montreal did to us, find those teams that are so up against the cap that they'll trade 1st rounders to get rid of the contract.

Ducks don't need to get rid of Killorn and need him to make the cap floor. St. Louis doesn't really need to get rid of Krug either.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It baffles me that so many people are talking about retention and how they didn't think he'd be worth a 2nd without it... He's not really overpaid, that's the going rate for mid-late 20s players that aren't a liability defensively and can put up 20g/40p. It's like people see the occasional good value signing, and forget they aren't the norm.

A late 2nd for Mangiapane makes perfect sense. If it were a pick originally belonging to a lesser team, it probably would have been 2 x 3rd, or a 3rd and a prospect.
He's average at best defensively, lets not pretend he is some great two-way player. Andrew Mangiapane is ranked 490th for 2023/20234 $/Point. It's not a very good contract based on his recent performance.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I’ve said it before, but Conroy has done an absolutely incredible job in just one year. He might not get the most value in every trade but his overall vision is exactly what this team needs and has needed for a decade+.

This is just another excellent asset management move, and realistically it won’t matter if it’s a mid 2nd or late 2nd. Or if we got a late 2nd for Zad instead of a 3rd, Or a 2024 first for Marky instead of a 2025 1st. All of that stuff is marginal in the grand scheme of things when he has the right vision of building through the draft.

Call it a retool, a rebuild, whatever you want to call it. He’s building something here from the ground up. In Conroy I trust

In my head, I'm expecting him to use a lot of used pre-fab. Like ripping out a house and putting a shipping container house in its place. Yeah you can do a great job in building something solid and make it look really damn good, but it technically ain't ground up and the materials weren't new, raw materials. A lot of the pieces were also used when originally acquired, but strong foundational pieces for the whole damn thing. This is potentially like a Dallas and Boston style rebuild on the fly and technically the same thing Treliving did as our GM.

I hope Mangiapane works out. I think the Caps will like him as much as they did Hathaway. Not saying he's Hathaway, I'm saying his style will fit them like a glove.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's average at best defensively, lets not pretend he is some great two-way player. Andrew Mangiapane is ranked 490th for 2023/20234 $/Point. It's not a very good contract based on his recent performance.
How on earth does "not a liability" equate to "great two-way player"?

And $/Point is such a stupid f***ing stat to use, all you have to do is look at signings for $5m+ the last 3 years and you see it is right around market value. Not good, not bad. Which is why Washington was willing to pay what they did.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

And $/Point is such a stupid f***ing stat to use, all you have to do is look at signings for $5m+ the last 3 years and you see it is right around market value. Not good, not bad. Which is why Washington was willing to pay what they did.
You’re paying for point production or defensive ability - unless you’re content just having useless forwards doing cardio out there in our top 6?

BosnianBeast

Formerly JankoUnchained
Aug 2, 2020
Lethbridge

People are talking about retention because Mangiapane today isn't the Mangiapane that signed for $5.8 million AAV after a 35 goal season. Last week if you went to the trade board and said "Mangiapane for a 2nd round pick" no one would take it seriously. Hell, media guys thought you might be able to get a 4th for him, which is why the 2nd is considered a surprise, and with no retention at that. It's a great trade, no doubt about it, but not a lot of people (unless you're some kind of savant) had his value at a 2nd round pick.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
People are talking about retention because Mangiapane today isn't the Mangiapane that signed for $5.8 million AAV after a 35 goal season. Last week if you went to the trade board and said "Mangiapane for a 2nd round pick" no one would take it seriously. Hell, media guys thought you might be able to get a 4th for him, which is why the 2nd is considered a surprise, and with no retention at that. It's a great trade, no doubt about it, but not a lot of people (unless you're some kind of savant) had his value at a 2nd round pick.
I mean literally an hour before the trade I suggested a high second and a young player that needs a change of scenery for him and Dallas's 2nd. So I really don't find it surprising at all with all the middle 6 forwards getting 5m+ these days.

ALso glad to see you back Janko :cheers:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Yeah that's what I did and how I determined that it is in fact a bad contract. Washington also traded for PLD so the appeal to authority thing is very boring.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
You’d be silly to think that Mangia’s $5.8M cap hit is reasonable when you could also have guys like Trocheck, Hyman, Kempe, Konecny, Nuge, Eriksson Ek, Buch, McCann, Ehlers, Mittlestadt all for the same cap hit. Different circumstances obviously on their signings.. but let’s not kid ourselves and think Mangia is the same tier of player and it’s fair value.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Seems like just one bad contract on the books right now. Could be two depending how Kadri follows up last year. Hopefully it stays that way in FA.

*Three because signing Kevin Rooney to almost anything was a bad signing, but arguing about it isn’t worth it.

Reactions: joescores and Janks

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Seems like just one bad contract on the books right now. Could be two depending how Kadri follows up last year. Hopefully it stays that way in FA.

*Three because signing Kevin Rooney to almost anything was a bad signing, but arguing about it isn’t worth it.
Rooney's deal was a proper hiccup by Conny! What was he thinking??? And he paid Martin just a mil a season- that I didn't like at all.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
You’d be silly to think that Mangia’s $5.8M cap hit is reasonable when you could also have guys like Trocheck, Hyman, Kempe, Konecny, Nuge, Eriksson Ek, Buch, McCann, Ehlers, Mittlestadt all for the same cap hit. Different circumstances obviously on their signings.. but let’s not kid ourselves and think Mangia is the same tier of player and it’s fair value.
#88 was a lead for the majority of the season. I can't believe he put together 40 pts, his in front of net skills were more than often dejecting and a proper let down- he couldn't hit a barn door. He is a 1.75 mil 4th liner on a deep SC team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good luck Mange.
Great player, bad contract, good human.

Conroy with some tidy work here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad