Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Chelolsea

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'd have a hard time even calling one "scored on a fast break." It was just a straight up error and gift to United.
First was a long ball out of basically nothing that should have been easily handled.

The second was a really nice move from back to front, but absolutely a goal on a break.

United kept the majority of city chances outside or far away. City was just trash so they didn’t end up with a lot of shots.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean if Sir Jim is such a genius, I wouldn’t change my mind on keeping a guy based on one game where the other team was still hungover.

And again if I am ETH I’m not going into next season know I am a lame duck either. It’s absolutely insane that both sides are still considering this

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
First was a long ball out of basically nothing that should have been easily handled.

The second was a really nice move from back to front, but absolutely a goal on a break.

United kept the majority of city chances outside or far away. City was just trash so they didn’t end up with a lot of shots.
Oh I very much agree that the 2nd one was nice play from United. The Bruno pass was filthy. I meant that calling the first goal "scored on a fast break" was giving United too much credit.

City didn't create anything, but United wasn't taking the game to them either. I wouldn't consider United's performance anything special even though they won, but Jussi seemed to insinuate that they put in a great performance.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh I very much agree that the 2nd one was nice play from United. The Bruno pass was filthy. I meant that calling the first goal "scored on a fast break" was giving United too much credit.

City didn't create anything, but United wasn't taking the game to them either. I wouldn't consider United's performance anything special even though they won, but Jussi seemed to insinuate that they put in a great performance.
Tactically great performance.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
5 year deal for Maresca. Contract you give out when you’re not an appealing job.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yes, the great tactics of “have your opponents give up a howler and play the entire game like they’re hung over”

I think United played better than you're giving them credit for but Jussi calling it a 'tactically great performance' is L-O-L.

Low bar but United as a unit definitely showed more in the final than they did for large portions of the PL season.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I don't know why it's so hard to believe that United won BOTH because of City's title hangover (like Atalanta against Leverkusen) AND because they did a great job at clogging up the middle of the pitch (again like Atalanta)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't know why it's so hard to believe that United won BOTH because of City's title hangover (like Atalanta against Leverkusen) AND because they did a great job at clogging up the middle of the pitch (again like Atalanta)
Right. United set up their game plan in the ideal ETH way. Clog the middle which allows a ton of room out wide but, if done well, limits the quality of the chances opponents have.

ETH knew that they had no hope of beating City if they had tried to go toe to toe with them so they had to set up that way. The players bought in and performed excellently.

And yet it wouldn't have really mattered unless City also played like trash. Alvarez missed a great opportunity, Haaland hit the woodwork, KdB had multiple passes to absolutely no one despite not having pressure on, etc. That gameplan also basically relies on scoring first. If your opponent scores first and you have to open up, it can turn very ugly, very fast.

Basically United set up perfectly and executed perfectly and, excluding the howler giveaway to Garnacho, still lost the xG battle 1.34 - .54 and would have drawn 1-1.

It was a good setup no doubt, and basically the only chance they had of winning, but I refuse to call a gameplan brilliant when it relies on the other team giving up a howler, missing chances, and overall not playing well.

Reactions: KJS14

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Right. United set up their game plan in the ideal ETH way. Clog the middle which allows a ton of room out wide but, if done well, limits the quality of the chances opponents have.

ETH knew that they had no hope of beating City if they had tried to go toe to toe with them so they had to set up that way. The players bought in and performed excellently.

And yet it wouldn't have really mattered unless City also played like trash. Alvarez missed a great opportunity, Haaland hit the woodwork, KdB had multiple passes to absolutely no one despite not having pressure on, etc. That gameplan also basically relies on scoring first. If your opponent scores first and you have to open up, it can turn very ugly, very fast.

Basically United set up perfectly and executed perfectly and, excluding the howler giveaway to Garnacho, still lost the xG battle 1.34 - .54 and would have drawn 1-1.

It was a good setup no doubt, and basically the only chance they had of winning, but I refuse to call a gameplan brilliant when it relies on the other team giving up a howler, missing chances, and overall not playing well.
United won the xG.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Why doesn't the tactical mastermind, Erik Ten Hag, just win every game? Is he stupid?
5 year deal for Maresca. Contract you give out when you’re not an appealing job.
Leicester supporters don't seem convinced that he'll do well. Some cracks began to show late into the season.

Reactions: KJS14

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Why doesn't the tactical mastermind, Erik Ten Hag, just win every game? Is he stupid?

Leicester supporters don't seem convinced that he'll do well. Some cracks began to show late into the season.
I read some level of optimism on the Leicester board. Most seemed to give him grace for the injuries etc the squad was facing. But yeah, regardless, the opportunity cost equation here..

Man they’ve gotta be sure.

Same shit as last year where they’re simultaneously saying he needs time and also that they need him to make CL.

Although, depending on how their summer goes, I don’t think that’s an unreasonable request.

Wonder what the plan he has to make Enzo/Caicedo work together is.

And, he wants a ball playing goalie which means Petrovic goes out. Either Kepa or Sanchez are getting starting roles back or we’ll be back in the keeper market.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Chelsea’s prerogative was just to make the best cosmetic hire that they could. McKenna turned them down so they couldn’t get the next hot British guy, so the went to the hot Pep assistant. Their range of candidates pretty obviously shows tactics/strategy wasn’t a factor in this hire. He had the best roster in the Championship and did what he was supposed to. Not having any of this glazing until he proves other wise. Not reading all these PR Spin articles about how great a hire and how great a fit this is. This is not a unique hire. Chelsea just wanted to get “THE NEXT ARTETA/THE NEXT PEP”, but if/when the shit hits the fans they are going to have to come to terms with needing to show patience, which again they’ve shown no evidence of doing

Reactions: luiginb

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
United won the xG.
Did you miss where I specifically said if you exclude the gifted Garnacho chance that should have been 0 xG if the keeper (and defender) didn't have a stroke in the middle of the play?

The Garnacho goal was absolutely not a result of some great setup, it was a hoofed long ball that should have trivially been handled.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
McKenna turning us down wasn’t a real report given who reported it.

Another essay with erroneous filler
I thought Stenberg and Jacobs were good for you guys?

I can admit I read from the wrong guys and need to update my tier list if so.

I don’t really see what else is wrong though

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad