Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Chelolsea

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Attachments

• 1716920641904.png
    1716920641904.png
    670 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Savant

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Did you miss where I specifically said if you exclude the gifted Garnacho chance that should have been 0 xG if the keeper (and defender) didn't have a stroke in the middle of the play?

The Garnacho goal was absolutely not a result of some great setup, it was a hoofed long ball that should have trivially been handled.
You seem to go to extra lengths to make United look bad. Typical United "fandom" in 2024...

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Steinberg is a well-respected reporter for the Guardian. I don't think it much matters that he shitposted on twitter 18 years ago when he must have been all of 15. Are we even sure that's the right guy?

I don't know who's right, but I know he definitely didn't make it up whole cloth because he didn't/doesn't support Chelsea.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You seem to go to extra lengths to make United look bad. Typical United "fandom" in 2024...
Or he's just a realistic United fan as opposed to one that thinks ETH "broke pep's system" on Saturday

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It's the whole "well if you take out one goal the xG would be worse" angle Like "Duh! But for why...?"
Because that goal was created by City's error rather than United. City basically walked the ball into their own net for you, but because Garnacho tapped it in it counts for nearly 1 xG. His logic makes perfect sense.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Steinberg is a well-respected reporter for the Guardian. I don't think it much matters that he shitposted on twitter 18 years ago when he must have been all of 15. Are we even sure that's the right guy?

I don't know who's right, but I know he definitely didn't make it up whole cloth because he didn't/doesn't support Chelsea.
Yeah I mean I thought he was just a London guy? I try not to put the tabloid stuff on here. If he’s not good I can mute him too, but didn’t think he was a negative

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's the whole "well if you take out one goal the xG would be worse" angle Like "Duh! But for why...?"
It's an acknowledgement that their single biggest chance, which was responsible for more than half of their xG (and half of their actual goals), wasn't due to any tactical choice or brilliance by United but rather by a horrific mistake by the keeper and defender.

The goal was created when Rodri, who was under no pressure, attempted a pass to Silva, who wasn't being covered and was only about 10 yards away from him, but missed the 10 yard pass by about 3 yards giving the ball to Amrabat who then ran 20 yards with it, passed it backwards to Dalot who then booted it long.

Reactions: KJS14

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's an acknowledgement that their single biggest chance, which was responsible for more than half of their xG (and half of their actual goals), wasn't due to any tactical choice or brilliance by United but rather by a horrific mistake by the keeper and defender.

The goal was created when Rodri, who was under no pressure, attempted a pass to Silva, who wasn't being covered and was only about 10 yards away from him, but missed the 10 yard pass by about 3 yards giving the ball to Amrabat who then ran 20 yards with it, passed it backwards to Dalot who then booted it long.
Hate the game, not the player.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
McKenna also "rejected" everyone, so who cares. It did seem like it was a mutual rejection, who cares if it's PR spin either. Was Maresca viewed more favorably because of being under Pep and having a similar philosophy? Sure, don't see why that's a negative though. It was also said he had the most detailed understanding of the Chelsea players. Is that PR spin, possibly, but could've also been a genuine factor in his appointment. Hiring a manager that gets the most out of Enzo Fernandez is going to be key to long-term success IMO. Having familiarity with Palmer and Lavia doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
McKenna also "rejected" everyone, so who cares. It did seem like it was a mutual rejection, who cares if it's PR spin either. Was Maresca viewed more favorably because of being under Pep and having a similar philosophy? Sure, don't see why that's a negative though. It was also said he had the most detailed understanding of the Chelsea players. Is that PR spin, possibly, but could've also been a genuine factor in his appointment. Hiring a manager that gets the most out of Enzo Fernandez is going to be key to long-term success IMO. Having familiarity with Palmer and Lavia doesn't hurt either.
Chelsea are going to put Enzo back into the starting lineup and have no idea why they are bad again.

McKenna rejecting Chelsea is just showing context that they don’t know what they are looking for. They just want the candidate so they can parade them as such. It’s like in the NFL when teams race to hire the offensive coordinator, or the next guy from the Belichick coaching tree, etc. If McKenna and Maresca (not even mentioning others) were the finalists, those are two guys whose teams/play styles were not particularly similar. So I really don’t think the whole best fit for current squad/player understanding (which is BS)/etc is particularly relevant. Chelsea just wants to say we got the new Arteta/new Pep. Kudos. He’ll get that five year deal and maybe coach 2.5 of it if he’s lucky. And then they will move to the next shiny toy. Chelsea want themselves a to be perceived as the destination club so they will just do the same hoarding of assets and spinning them around like they always do.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
McKenna signs a four year extension. Supposedly Ipswich are paying him a lot. Hope for their sake they have some out-clause if they get relegated.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
2016: conte takes over a chelsea side that went from winning a title to finishing 10th, but with its core basically intact. wins one of the most dominant titles in PL history with no european obligations to worry about.

2024: conte takes over a napoli side that went from winning a title to finishing 10th, but with its core basically intact.

Reactions: Blender

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
2016: conte takes over a chelsea side that went from winning a title to finishing 10th, but with its core basically intact. wins one of the most dominant titles in PL history with no european obligations to worry about.

2024: conte takes over a napoli side that went from winning a title to finishing 10th, but with its core basically intact.

I have doubts that core will stay intact.

They already lost Kim before last season, and Osimhen and Kvara could leave now. I think those three were the most import core players of the title winning team.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Mourinho to Fenerbache

Coming from a place of quite a bit of ignorance as regards Fenerbahce, this sounds like a really puzzling appointment. The bloke he replaced only had the team finishing second place, but it was on 99 points. As close as the league was I’d think they would have stayed the course.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Pretty surprising that Bayern are apparently paying Kompany almost 3 million more per season than they paid Nagelsmann. About the same salary that Tuchel had.

No wonder that he accepted immediately.

They could have offered him 3 million less and he’d have accepted. What was going to do? Stay at Burnley?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad