Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Thank you.

Agree about Seattle. Total wacked out contracts.

What's your thoughts on the Debrusk deal?
Absolutely no issue at all. I like the Debrusk target a lot. I made several posts previously about not paying $5-6M for the "2nd tier" forwards like Toffoli, Stephenson, Teravainen, etc. because they're not real needle-movers, there are some obvious risk factors in their performance, and the deals will just age badly. If we struck on Guentzel, I wanted to avoid these guys and just look at the Heinen/Sherwood class (which Allvin also did very well to get them on value contracts)

Debrusk was the one exception to this group for me. He is a "younger" UFA, so the age-related decline risk is mitigated. He's always had pretty strong two-way impacts and his ES P/60 scoring is at a near 1st line rate. His microstat profile is exactly what the Canucks need: He has some speed and chance creation on the rush (desperately, desperately needed), and he forechecks hard enough to fit in Tocc's system.

You can also envision a bull case with Debrusk where, given consistent top-six and PP1 time, he breaks out and really delivers a lot of value over the contract. I think this was the right "big-ticket" target.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
But that wasn't the direction Allvin wanted to go? I assume that the priority was to re-sign Lindholm (or both Lindholm and Zadorov). When signing Lindholm wasn't possible the pivot was to re-sign Zadorov at up to $5M AAV (if the reports could be trusted). So it isn't like Allvin didn't want to re-sign Z at $5M AAV.

I actually think more resources need to be allocated to the defense. Right now, two of Soucy, Myers, Forbort, Desharnais, Juulsen/Friedman/former Abby Canuck need to play on our top 4. If one gets injured one from the group needs to step in/step up. This is definitely not the type of rebuilt blueline I want.
Allvin clearly had a max number in mind for each of Lindholm and Zadorov, and they thought they were worth more than that. Allvin didn't want to drastically overpay, so he pivoted directions. I'm glad he did. Massively overpaying mid-UFAs is a quick way to ruin your club. I think Allvin actually valued them too highly with some of the offers that were reported, but that's not really relevant to this discussion.

I've said before, I think the resources needed to be shifted toward the forward group, and I agree with the direction of this offseason. I also think the blueline needs some more mobility, but Allvin still has a little bit of flexibility, so I am willing to give him the benefit to see what shakes out or if he makes an in-season move (which he has shown he can do).

Here's my thoughts on the blueline construction from my discussion with @TruGr1t. I think management believes the types of defensemen they added mesh well with their system, and their defensive results were excellent last season.

Yeah, they found guys similar to what other teams are paying a premium on, for a discount. And they likely think they can fit into their system well.

Re: the bolded, IIRC reading an article by one of the then-blogger-now-NHL-team-analysts that forwards have a higher relative impact on the team's overall performance than forwards (intuitively makes sense, there are more forwards on the ice at all times). The conclusion of the piece was that it was better to have a stronger overall forward group, even if at the expense of the blueline. At the time, the cup-winning Pens kinda embodied that.

You also see it with the Panthers system. Most of the neutral zone burden and forechecking is on the forwards to chase pucks hard, pressure the opposition, and then funnel them into their "surfing" Ds for breakups (most of their D being pretty large as well). This is pretty similar to what the Canucks are trying to accomplish in their NZ forecheck. On DZ exits, the Panthers also don't put much burden on their D to make clean possession exits. They let them flip/rim pucks out and have the forwards contest up-ice. Again, quite similar to the Canucks (and why the Canucks don't have much of a rush game). Allvin/Tocc probably don't see the puck-moving limitations of the new guys as much of a liability, considering their system doesn't ask them to do it a ton.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Teams that paid a ton of money on middle-of-the-lineup players *cough Seattle cough* made colossal mistakes.

I have absolutely no idea what Seattle is doing.

Like, they started with the half-ass Vegas model and it did get them the one playoff appearance but the wheels came off last year and that team sucks and has basically zero front-line players. There is nothing there in terms of age 21-30 assets - McCann, Dunn, and that's about it.

They do have a very deep system and it seems like a pretty obvious time to pivot and build around those young players, sign veterans to short-term deals to support them, build for 2027 or 2028.

Instead they committed $14 million to two middling age 30 players that are going to be OEL-type albatrosses when they actually want to compete in 3-4 years, and still probably aren't close to being a playoff team next year.

Reactions: timw33 and F A N

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Like, they started with the half-ass Vegas model and it did get them the one playoff appearance but the wheels came off last year and that team sucks and has basically zero front-line players. There is nothing there in terms of age 21-30 assets - McCann, Dunn, and that's about it.

They do have a very deep system and it seems like a pretty obvious time to pivot and build around those young players, sign veterans to short-term deals to support them, build for 2027 or 2028.

Instead they committed $14 million to two middling age 30 players that are going to be OEL-type albatrosses when they actually want to compete in 3-4 years, and still probably aren't close to being a playoff team next year.

Reminds me of the Columbus Blue Jackets model from the 2000's.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

They want to be mediocre forever? Alright Francis, you do you.

Like you said, there was a path to being competitive right now with short-term veterans, while waiting for guys like Beniers, Wright, Catton, etc. to come along. They decided to light that on fire.

NHL GMs, what can you do?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The only conclusion is that Francis' job is on the hot seat. I bet ownership was expecting to be a lot more competitive upfront and are dissatisfied with the results.

I hope we are looking to take advantage if the wheels start to come off this season. The last 18 months of a GM's tenure is where they do the dumbest and most crippling moves and it'd be nice to be on this side of that kind of transaction for a change.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The only conclusion is that Francis' job is on the hot seat. I bet ownership was expecting to be a lot more competitive upfront and are dissatisfied with the results.

It absolutely is. Seattle's season ticket base is eroding, they're getting NBA competition soon ... I figured they'd be in on some of the "name" UFAs - Stamkos, Marchessault, hell I thought they might even trade for Laine. All of which would have been better options than what they ended up doing.

A brutal situation. They're ~2 seasons away from being where San Jose was 2 years ago.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The summer days of "nothing".

A few questions that I think can be asked.
Was Tocchet THAT good or was it Allvin/Rutherford's rebuilding of the 27th ranked defence to 5 th best in the league.
Mr. Ego got coach of the year a year when Luongo should have got the Hart, a year that Luongo was the 2nd best goalie in the league by far barely behind Brodeur.
This year Tocchet gets the nod but that defence had/was a huge impact.

Why are only the Russians unable to play for Tocchet, these guys aren't bad players but are getting singled out in a TEAM game.

I am pretty sure they could have kept Zadorov for the 275K difference in salary but now they have to replace his size, skating, first pass, speed and presence. And the team still is looking for another dman to replace what they had already.

What was with the Kuzmenko trade? Lindholm ended up being much to expensive for what the team got out of him and the costs going forward. They had a player that meshed very well with Pettersson in him. Pettersson was a Selke candidate with him, 100 point player and they were quite friendly together often smiling with each other on the bench. Kuzmenko was a rookie still learning the game and maybe not fantastic in the dzone, as good a Boeser really but that was what a healthy Mikheyev was for, to MAKE the line more complete.

Were Allvin and Rutherford THAT bad that they traded for 3 Russians that are all bad at hockey? And now have a 4th that didn't get more than a cup of coffee on the big club and likely traded soon.

Why is the medias not pointing out that there were many players under Tocchet that asked or demanded trades off his teams?

Why is the absolute failure of Rutherford and Allvin in getting these Russians horrible players not being discussed more? And the cost of getting RID of them? These ended up being disastrously costly moves. But wait, there is another string attaching all of these mistakes, they were all in Tocchet's doghouse. Every costly jettisoning of a player had Tocchet history. OEL's buyout, so bad it was questioned if they could be on the same team together,, whether the "history" would interfere? Well it didn't OEL was bought out only 30 games later with the attaching pain lasting for 8 more years.

Has anyone noticed that Pettersson and Hronek don't have trade protection for next year? But both have decent cap hits for their potential?
Pettersson game has declined under Tocchet he rarely is smiling on the bench and in reality looked quite disconnected after signing his contract.

Yes I am picking on Tocchet but this is a team game that Tocchet keeps making about individual players.

Woulda, coulda, shouda, what or how would Bruce have done with this defence? Even Tocchet didn't make that much a difference once hired defensively.

The overall state of the team is not great, AGAIN. Prospect pool is very shallow for top end players, picks are almost all gone, the team is capped out with future cap issues in the next year, an aging core of TWO youngish core players, a 31 yr old top line guy, another 28 yr old that is almost the slowest skater in the league and a goalie that has been damaged every year.

Next year will not be like this one was, there will not be 4 wins vs Edmonton, I doubt very much SJ will be that bad again, The Ducks made moves and got better and the players have all learned, LA may have got a goalie and surprisingly the Flames may be better than last year, maybe. There were around 20+ points the Canucks were basically gifted by really bad teams, bottom feeders within the division and league. 4 or 5 teams. SJ, Edmonton, Ana, CB and Yotes. Did the Preds get better?

Or should I be posting about the coming parade? The surprising goal scoring from Karlsson and defensive prowess and offence that Pettersson has or might have or may have. How about how Willander is the next great RHD prospect? And Lekkermakki will dominate once he plays in the NHL and is a guaranteed fit for Pettersson?

How the team will fit Boeser's 8-9 mil cap hit under the cap for the next 7-8 years?

Peterrsson's next 150 point season and Miller matching with 140 points, Demko's Vezina next year?

Anyone can post about how great they will be, could be, may be. It doesn't take looking at other teams or anything except hope and dreams. When posting about hope there are no impedances because everything is rainbows and lollipops. Nothing ever goes wrong. When there is doubt, post about hope. Players not in the league and what they might bring to the team as if it s a sure thing and the outsized impact that "hope" will have. Geez, after 8 years of that shat you would think some of the fanatics would at least think. How many times do they need to be hit in the head with a 2X4 before it sinks in or the learn the bare basics of what a team game is, how age makes a difference, how size makes a difference, how the easy season is just that, the easy season the entertainment season. That is the season the can punch in, do their work and punch out and collect their paycheck. The real season they aren't paid, that is when they play to win the grail. Some players are "professionals", time in, perform, time out get paid. Some are desperate to make it to the big paydays and will really put out the effort, the rich ones might sit back a bit if the team is not going far, why get injured if not going anywhere?

This is just another rambling diatribe of "NOTHING"

It is a post about "NOTHING" just like the show. Meaningless and without any effect on the real word. Maybe not even entertainment. But if will definitely irritate some fanatics and have them attacking the poster, not the content. That comment is not trolling, it is a prediction but it will give posters something to do while lazing around in these "nothing" days of sweltering heat.

So what will Allvin/Rutherford do next? What will they do with Boeser? He isn't signed yet and they surely didn't wait on getting Miller's autograph.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Was Tocchet THAT good or was it Allvin/Rutherford's rebuilding of the 27th ranked defence to 5 th best in the league.
Mr. Ego got coach of the year a year when Luongo should have got the Hart, a year that Luongo was the 2nd best goalie in the league by far barely behind Brodeur.

Why are only the Russians unable to play for Tocchet, these guys aren't bad players but are getting singled out in a TEAM game.

I am pretty sure they could have kept Zadorov for the 275K difference in salary but now they have to replace his size, skating, first pass, speed and presence. And the team still is looking for another dman to replace what they had already.

What was with the Kuzmenko trade? Lindholm ended up being much to expensive for what the team got out of him and the costs going forward. They had a player that meshed very well with Pettersson in him. Pettersson was a Selke candidate with him, 100 point player and they were quite friendly together often smiling with each other on the bench. Kuzmenko was a rookie still learning the game and maybe not fantastic in the dzone, as good a Boeser really but that was what a healthy Mikheyev was for, to MAKE the line more complete.

Were Allvin and Rutherford THAT bad that they traded for 3 Russians that are all bad at hockey? And now have a 4th that didn't get more than a cup of coffee on the big club and likely traded soon.

Why is the medias not pointing out that there were many players under Tocchet that asked or demanded trades off his teams?

Why is the absolute failure of Rutherford and Allvin in getting these Russians horrible players not being discussed more? And the cost of getting RID of them? These ended up being disastrously costly moves. But wait, there is another string attaching all of these mistakes, they were all in Tocchet's doghouse. Every costly jettisoning of a player had Tocchet history. OEL's buyout, so bad it was questioned if they could be on the same team together,, whether the "history" would interfere? Well it didn't OEL was bought out only 30 games later with the attaching pain lasting for 8 more years.

Has anyone noticed that Pettersson and Hronek don't have trade protection for next year? But both have decent cap hits for their potential?
Pettersson game has declined under Tocchet he rarely is smiling on the bench and in reality looked quite disconnected after signing his contract.

Yes I am picking on Tocchet but this is a team game that Tocchet keeps making about individual players.

Woulda, coulda, shouda, what or how would Bruce have done with this defence? Even Tocchet didn't make that much a difference once hired defensively.

The overall state of the team is not great, AGAIN. Prospect pool is very shallow for top end players, picks are almost all gone, the team is capped out with future cap issues in the next year, an aging core of TWO youngish core players, a 31 yr old top line guy, another 28 yr old that is almost the slowest skater in the league and a goalie that has been damaged every year.

Next year will not be like this one was, there will not be 4 wins vs Edmonton, I doubt very much SJ will be that bad again, The Ducks made moves and got better and the players have all learned, LA may have got a goalie and surprisingly the Flames may be better than last year, maybe. There were around 20+ points the Canucks were basically gifted by really bad teams, bottom feeders within the division and league. 4 or 5 teams. SJ, Edmonton, Ana, CB and Yotes. Did the Preds get better?

Or should I be posting about the coming parade? The surprising goal scoring from Karlsson and defensive prowess and offence that Pettersson has or might have or may have. How about how Willander is the next great RHD prospect? And Lekkermakki will dominate once he plays in the NHL and is a guaranteed fit for Pettersson?

How the team will fit Boeser's 8-9 mil cap hit under the cap for the next 7-8 years?

Peterrsson's next 150 point season and Miller matching with 140 points, Demko's Vezina next year?

Anyone can post about how great they will be, could be, may be. It doesn't take looking at other teams or anything except hope and dreams. When posting about hope there are no impedances because everything is rainbows and lollipops. Nothing ever goes wrong. When there is doubt, post about hope. Players not in the league and what they might bring to the team as if it s a sure thing and the outsized impact that "hope" will have. Geez, after 8 years of that shat you would think some of the fanatics would at least think. How many times do they need to be hit in the head with a 2X4 before it sinks in or the learn the bare basics of what a team game is, how age makes a difference, how size makes a difference, how the easy season is just that, the easy season the entertainment season. That is the season the can punch in, do their work and punch out and collect their paycheck. The real season they aren't paid, that is when they play to win the grail. Some players are "professionals", time in, perform, time out get paid. Some are desperate to make it to the big paydays and will really put out the effort, the rich ones might sit back a bit if the team is not going far, why get injured if not going anywhere?

It is a post about "NOTHING" just like the show. Meaningless and without any effect on the real word. Maybe not even entertainment. But if will definitely irritate some fanatics and have them attacking the poster, not the content. That comment is not trolling, it is a prediction but it will give posters something to do while lazing around in these "nothing" days of sweltering heat.

So what will Allvin/Rutherford do next? What will they do with Boeser? He isn't signed yet and they surely didn't wait on getting Miller's autograph.

Yeah

Reactions: rypper

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It absolutely is. Seattle's season ticket base is eroding, they're getting NBA competition soon ... I figured they'd be in on some of the "name" UFAs - Stamkos, Marchessault, hell I thought they might even trade for Laine. All of which would have been better options than what they ended up doing.

A brutal situation. They're ~2 seasons away from being where San Jose was 2 years ago.

I wonder if Seattle has enough fans to support all their sports teams. Seattle is kind of weirdly positioned as a US city. There have been so many instances where I would be on a trip and an American would ask me about what "weather" is like in Vancouver and I would say it's similar to Seattle and often times they have no clue where Seattle is.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary

Its amazing to me it took 10 years to find someone who does what Ian Cole did.

Like the dude has been around for 16 NHL seasons, played for a different team for the last FIVE years and yet it took 10 years for us to finally find the guy to play for us.

Alex Biega
Phillip Larsen
Nikita Tryamkin
Luca Sbisa
Ben Hutton
Troy Stecher
Phillip Holm
Erik Gudbranson
Derrick Pouliot
Michael Del Zotto
Brogan Rafferty
Oscar Fantenberg
Jordie Benn
Jalen Chatfield
Jack Rathbone
Travis Hamonic
Nate Schmidt
Madison Bowey
Travis Dermott
Tucker Poolman
Kyle Burroughs
Brad Hunt
Chtistian Wolanin
Riley Stillman
Ethan Bear

We literally could have just traded a 3rd for Ian Cole like 8 years ago and just avoided every single one of the above mentioned.

Its all about pro scouting now. Thats the biggest reason for the turnaround. Plus judging by this offseasons' moves its only going to continue, brick by brick.

I could do the same above list for Teddy Blueger and bottom 6 centers..

Michael Chaput
Jayson Megna
Drew Shore
Alex Burmistrov
Sam Gagner
Ryan Spooner
Tim Schaller
Jay Beagle
Travis Boyd
Jason Dickinson
Curtis Lazar
Jack Studnicka

Or just grab the right Teddy Blueger at the right time and forego all the above mentioned garbage year after year.

Pro scouting will be our huge advantage while other teams give Edmundson 4 yrs, trade a 2nd for ufa to be Jeannot, and tie their fortunes to a tendy like Keumper while bleeding value in every transaction they make, as one team example.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Like the dude has been around for 16 NHL seasons, played for a different team for the last FIVE years and yet it took 10 years for us to finally find the guy to play for us.

Alex Biega
Phillip Larsen
Nikita Tryamkin
Luca Sbisa
Ben Hutton
Troy Stecher
Phillip Holm
Erik Gudbranson
Derrick Pouliot
Michael Del Zotto
Brogan Rafferty
Oscar Fantenberg
Jordie Benn
Jalen Chatfield
Jack Rathbone
Travis Hamonic
Nate Schmidt
Madison Bowey
Travis Dermott
Tucker Poolman
Kyle Burroughs
Brad Hunt
Chtistian Wolanin
Riley Stillman
Ethan Bear

We literally could have just traded a 3rd for Ian Cole like 8 years ago and just avoided every single one of the above mentioned.

Its all about pro scouting now. Thats the biggest reason for the turnaround. Plus judging by this offseasons' moves its only going to continue, brick by brick.

I could do the same above list for Teddy Blueger and bottom 6 centers..

Michael Chaput
Jayson Megna
Drew Shore
Alex Burmistrov
Sam Gagner
Ryan Spooner
Tim Schaller
Jay Beagle
Travis Boyd
Jason Dickinson
Curtis Lazar
Jack Studnicka

Or just grab the right Teddy Blueger at the right time and forego all the above mentioned garbage year after year.

Pro scouting will be our huge advantage while other teams give Edmundson 4 yrs, trade a 2nd for ufa to be Jeannot, and tie their fortunes to a tendy like Keumper while bleeding value in every transaction they make, as one team example.

Don't you dare speak ill of Alex Biega.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Back in the old days, it's pretty common to declare that a team just drafted a defenseman that would help anchor their blueline for 15+ years.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Back in the old days, it's pretty common to declare that a team just drafted a defenseman that would help anchor their blueline for 15+ years.

Yeah Taylor Ellington could have been our Ian Cole this whole time haha. (#33 in 07')

Im more talking since 2010 when Chris Tanev appeared out of thin air and the 12 years after it took to search for another top 4 RHD.

Granted we didnt have Huggy, heck we never even had a replecement for Edler even, so I understand some of the swings on Pouliot Fantenberg Larsen, ect.

But this whole time if pro scouting was better we could have just had a Brendan Dillion and chilled and not wasted time on the Bartowski likes.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary

Yes, we're blessed to have a front office with a singular vision. If the higher ups make the roster moves the coach requires, both parties come out better off. This is new to us, yeah?

Tocchet asked for defensive defenders like Soucy, Cole, Zadorov, Forbort and Desharnais because thats exactly what the defense needed to be better.

This isnt Gillis bringing in Keith Ballard so coach V can bench him in favor of Alberts and Rome. This is the coach coming in early, seeing what needs to change, and having time to do so with the GMs. The fact we did it in only one offseason is whats worthy of COTY, imo.

Anthony Beauvillier couldnt play but Phil Di Guiseppe played 51 games and never seen a day of waivers.

And once every 5 games Phil would make a great defensive play on the PK for his league min and we'd all go ahhhh ok thats why.

Its a 12 man forward group with three 20 min players and lots of special teams time.

By the end of season we had like 8 guys i'd rather see on the PK than Mikhayev so unless he scoring, hes useless.

Im on the fence with Zadorov but I do see a path where locking up Huggy and Zadorov on the left side gives them zero flexibility later on, whereas a rotating door of Cole, Forbort, Soucy, D-Petey gives them space to make moves.

Maybe also it was a line in the sand, a point that we're gonna build a great team by not overpaying anyone, I dunno.

But either way im not gonna lose any sleep over "how will we replace the guy we got for a 3rd and a 5th, who happened to fit in SO well he got overpaid".

Im gonna think of the next guy who wants to make that for themselves, now with added incentive with the Zads deal as an example.

What was with the Kuzmenko trade?
theguardianll: July 30, 2025:

"OMG How did we get a player like Debrusk for zero assets?!"

Lindholm ended up being much to expensive for what the team got out of him and the costs going forward.

We got to try the goods first and we decided we didnt want to Nazem Kadri ourselves longterm. He was the best player on the market at the time since Pittburgh was fighting for their playoff lives, and as a RH center and former Rutherford draft choice did tick some boxes. The restraint to not overpay, or the hurt feelings from trying to retrade him, both saved us likely.

They had a player that meshed very well with Pettersson in him.
We now have a player that should fit Petey, Tocchet and the whole team better.

Pettersson was a Selke candidate with him, 100 point player and they were quite friendly together often smiling with each other on the bench.
Petey-Kuzy
Petey-Debrusk

Which has more likelyhood of helping Petey get back to his "selke" form?

Kuzmenko was a rookie still learning the game and maybe not fantastic in the dzone, as good a Boeser really but that was what a healthy Mikheyev was for, to MAKE the line more complete.

And now we have a 28yr old NHL veteran who is probably way better than Boeser in the defensive zone. And there was no healthy Ilya, but now there is a Sherwood or Heinen or Hoglander or Sprong.

First off Nikita was loved by all, and is currently a great player that by all accounts fit in seamlessly.

Ilya blew out his knee before his first regular season game in year 1 of 4 of an overpriced contract.

Andrei didnt play a lick of defense at a time when even without his 39 goal scoring prowess, we were firing at an alltime high.

The time for keeping good ol boys that smile lots and are good in the room and with their teammates is over. We want to win now.

Theres 23 roster players and we had an absolutely messy cap situation to untangle. Some guys only knew Benning Weisbrod run Canucks and assumed it would be pergatory.

Tocchets a brute because Conor Garland asked for a trade after two middling years?

Good. Now he sucked it up when he realized he was worthless, made himself into something and is probably indespensable.

Tocchets a brute because Brock Boeser asked for a trade after six middling years?

Good. Now he also realized he was worthless at the time and we may have saved ourselves from a second Markus Naslund to Ottawa for a 4th type deals.

Dude came back scored 40 and actually hit and backchecked this year, it was crazy.

Im kinda hoping Podkolzin has asked for a trade because newsflash, also worthless at this point today. Could be found money two years from now if he clicks though a la Boeser or Garland.
Why is the absolute failure of Rutherford and Allvin in getting these Russians horrible players not being discussed more? And the cost of getting RID of them? These ended up being disastrously costly moves. But wait, there is another string attaching all of these mistakes, they were all in Tocchet's doghouse. Every costly jettisoning of a player had Tocchet history.
On a scale of M.Gelinas for G.Sanderson for B.May in a weeks time..

And giving B.Sutter a 5 year deal then doubling down with a 1 year deal after (did he even play 1 game?)..

How loyal are we supposed to be here?

We've turned over the entire franchise top to bottom, theres gonna be some misses yup.

We finally might have depth where we can inflate a player like Hoglanders value to sell high, maybe. Until now we've had nothing but deadweight even if Ilya was an allvin error.

OEL's buyout, so bad it was questioned if they could be on the same team together,, whether the "history" would interfere? Well it didn't OEL was bought out only 30 games later with the attaching pain lasting for 8 more years.
It was pretty well known Tocchet wasnt OEL's biggest fan at the time and that bridge to cross was the cost of doing business by hiring him.

That was the defining stamp on the team and the day I realized they were not here to mess around.

I wish they found another way around it but truly there was no team taking that deal on.

The one thing im going to agree with you on is this but not for reasons you believe.

They cant have NTCs yet as per the CBA.

As much as id love to sell high on Barry Pederson it isnt going to happen after a 12,000,000 signing bonus was just dished out.

My thinking is this makes him more tradeable as in Buffalo now gets him for $12m less :)

But it will never happen and what your seeing now is the maturing of the roster, built AROUND Pettersson and Hronek.

Now they have their deals, they have solid linemates, and can just focus on being the best.

I think Petey sulked this year but will have a bounceback year under Tocchet.

Do you watch the games? Theres an actual system now its not just a fire drill every shift.

Tyler Myers looked solid. TYLER MYERS.

Cmon!

The overall state of the team is not great, AGAIN.

We started with less than a mud shack. We've been adding bricks for two offseasons.

Its sad that Pius Suter was an amazing signing for us but man did we need a Pius Suter!

Its sad that Keifer Sherwood will probably be an amazing signing for us but man we actually need a Keifer Sherwood.

For the first time in Canuck history we have a Norris winner..

Demko was finalist for the Vezina..

Miller broke 100 points..

Boeser scored 40. Not just 30, 40!

We have a SHL rookie of the year and not a soul has penciled him into a canucks lineup..

State of the team is best its been in a DECADE.

Prospect pool is very shallow for top end players, picks are almost all gone

We are not rebuilding.

We never have.

Somehow we are going to will our way to a championship soon with a #5 overall, #7 overall, #23 overall and #36 overall picks leading the charge, plus a trade for Jt Miller.

the team is capped out with future cap issues in the next year,
The canucks have almost unwound the cap shenanigans with one of the youngest, tightest cores in the league, yup.

an aging core of TWO youngish core players, a 31 yr old top line guy, another 28 yr old that is almost the slowest skater in the league and a goalie that has been damaged every year.

"Youngish core players" or future superstars every single team would kill to have? You make it sound like theyre Connor Zary and David Jiricek.

The 31 yr old top line guy is one of THREE players with 100+ goals and 500+ hits in the last 3 seasons.

The 31 yr old top line UNICORN, you mean.

The 28 year old finally broke out and tucked 40. Plus he hit people, actually. And he backchecked, actually. He could be Brett Hull slow for all I care we will compensate for it.

I am very worried about Demko, wont lie. But somehow we pulled Silovs out of thin air and should be able to reduce Thatchers workload.
Next year will not be like this one was, there will not be 4 wins vs Edmonton, I doubt very much SJ will be that bad again, The Ducks made moves and got better and the players have all learned, LA may have got a goalie and surprisingly the Flames may be better than last year, maybe.
Every one of those teams is garbage. Edmonton included.

If ever there was a path to a easy playoff seed this year is the year are you serious?

Edmonton and Vegas. Thats it. Stay around, above or right below them and were fine.

There were around 20+ points the Canucks were basically gifted by really bad teams, bottom feeders within the division and league. 4 or 5 teams. SJ, Edmonton, Ana, CB and Yotes. Did the Preds get better?

There will be really bad teams again. Have you looked around?

Does our experience, added depth and longterm piece of mind (petey, hronek, silovs) not give us an added boost?

Or should I be posting about the coming parade? The surprising goal scoring from Karlsson and defensive prowess and offence that Pettersson has or might have or may have.

This is awesome. Even back in the day when I told myself Markus Granlund could snipe 20 I was clearly delusional but it felt good to think it.

Now, Keifer Sherwood might ACTUALLY snipe 20 and its not delusional at all.

Linus Karlsson is behind like 17 forwards for icetime. Thats the beauty of where this team is heading. No more scrubs.

How about how Willander is the next great RHD prospect? And Lekkermakki will dominate once he plays in the NHL and is a guaranteed fit for Pettersson?

Wont they? These are literally the best three prospects we've had in a decade not on the team currently. Its ok to be excited about elite talent. Its not ok to fanboy over Josh Bloom and Akito Hirose.

The same way Buchnevich gets his money and Konecny gets his money, ect ect.

Or maybe we draw another line in sand.

The fact we havent rushed out to give him his deal already gives me hope they are gonna have a plan actually.

Anyone can post about how great they will be, could be, may be. It doesn't take looking at other teams or anything except hope and dreams.
Have you actually looked at other teams though?

We have two top centers, the best defenseman, and a top 3 voted goalie..

Most teams have zero of those things LOL.

Touch some grass the enjoy the heck out of this Canucks window were in, friend.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Always amazes me how some people have a serious memory problem. The team last year won the Pacific Division and were one win away from the conference final. And might have gotten there if Demko hadn't gone down.

Prior to that, it was basically a lost decade under Benning. And in the last couple of seasons under that sorry regime, things got so bad that fans were tossing their jerseys on the ice in protest.

Has every move Allvin and Rutherford made panned out? Obviously not. No GM in the league ever will hit a home run every time. But this Canucks franchise is in a far better place now, and looks capable of matching those 2010-12 teams as one of the most dominant in the NHL.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Always amazes me how some people have a serious memory problem. The team last year won the Pacific Division and were one win away from the conference final. And might have gotten there if Demko hadn't gone down.

Prior to that, it was basically a lost decade under Benning. And in the last couple of seasons under that sorry regime, things got so bad that fans were tossing their jerseys on the ice in protest.

Has every move Allvin and Rutherford made panned out? Obviously not. No GM in the league ever will hit a home run every time. But this Canucks franchise is in a far better place now, and looks capable of matching those 2010-12 teams as one of the most dominant in the NHL.

Anyone complaining about the state of the team is an absolute donkey in my mind.

There probably isn't a more stable method of improvement than the one we've seen with Alvin over the last 3 years.

God bless the posters that take the time to reply to guardian, but it won't be me anymore with the material that's on the contrary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad