Management Discussion | You can’t handle the Rebuild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
Oel and Garland are in front of them on the list.
Garland has been ok it sucks he’s tainted being part of that trade.

OEL I’ve given up hope he’ll retire a Canuck hopefully sooner rather than later. I can’t see Francesco explaining to Luigi why he’s doling out 19 schmilly this summer to a guy who’s not working.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Arizona is the joke of the league but I think we are catching up
At least Arizona has a clear plan that generates plenty of hope for the future. They’ve accumulated a wealth of futures and could have one of the best prospect pools in the league. They also seem to have a good long-term outlook for their cap situation. We have neither of those things.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think we're worse because at least they own it. They're there to be the money launder for the league, to give a home for cast off players, they have no expectations.

Canucks spend like a contender, behave like a team that hasn't missed the playoffs more in the list decade then they've made it.

Arizona is shit but they say to everyone, hey we're shit. Canucks are pretenders, who can't stop the shit from leaking out.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Hehe Arizona? Nah, couple of years ago I'd agree with you. At this moment we're looking at Arizona in the rear view mirror, flipping the double bird with both hands off the wheel, driving off a cliff while the rest of the league look on with a combination of confusion, elation and pity. Kinda like...
simpsons.gif

The key reason I said that is, Arizona is a weak shit team but they have something we do not: self-awareness. We're driving off a cliff and thinking that we're hot shit and gravity does not apply.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Ya the one thing about even the brutal Messier era was stuff happened.

Year one 97-98,
January 2, Canucks traded Gelinas and McLean to the Canes for Burke, Sanderson and Ciccone

Feb 4, Traded Sanderson for Brad May

Feb 6, the Canucks traded Trevor Linden for Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd Round pick.

Mar 3. dumped Grant Ledyard to the Bruins for a late pick

March 4 traded Burke to the Flyers for Garth Snow

on and on 10 trades from Jan 1 to the deadline.

Year two 98-99,
Oct 19 brought in Trent Klatt from the Flyers for a 6th round pick

January 17 traded Bure, Ferece, Hedican, 3rd Round Pick to the Panthers for Jovanovski, Weekes, Gagner, Brown, 1st Round Pick

3 more minor trades that year before deadline...

At the draft they made numerous trades... long story short moving McCabe and a bunch of mid round picks to get 2nd overall. With 2nd and 3rd overall took the Sedins.

Into 99-00

Traded Mogilny to the Devils for Morrison

Even with this flawed approach they came out from being a veteran team with some mid-age top end players (Bure and Mogilny) and had moved on to:

Naslund, Bertuzzi, Ohlund, Jovanovski, Morrison, the Sedins.

All this and somehow they had prospects coming up despite having a brutal farm team. These included Cooke, Ruutu, Sopel, Schaefer.
Frustrating, I know, but remember - there was no league salary cap back then.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the only team in the same league as vancouver for mismanagement was ottawa and they are at least going to be under new management soon

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Hehe Arizona? Nah, couple of years ago I'd agree with you. At this moment we're looking at Arizona in the rear view mirror, flipping the double bird with both hands off the wheel, driving off a cliff while the rest of the league look on with a combination of confusion, elation and pity. Kinda like...
simpsons.gif

The key reason I said that is, Arizona is a weak shit team but they have something we do not: self-awareness. We're driving off a cliff and thinking that we're hot shit and gravity does not apply.
I still don't think we're at the point where ownership is not paying vendors, rent, sexual assault on employees. It's close but not there. I'm looking at this purely as the team and not owners personals problems either.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I still don't think we're at the point where ownership is not paying vendors, rent, sexual assault on employees. It's close but not there. I'm looking at this purely as the team and not owners personals problems either.

Fair enough. Either way, our team is looking like a joke, and there's almost no sign of improvement.

I'm starting to think that my chance of seeing the cup here before I die is next to none.

Reactions: quat

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Edler was a gigantic warning siren that something was fatally wrong here. I think another one is Garland.

Garland had 150 games of 1st line production until he got beaten down by this franchise 1/3 into his first season here and he never recovered. This is not the player he was in Arizona or his first batch of games here and at this point it seems unreasonable to blame it all on coaching. And it's really weird how he was down on himself in summer talking about having had a slump year when the season he put up was worth 8 mil and he makes 5.

And he's not an exception. It's the rule and not the exception that the first half season here is every players best performance regardless of tenure. And looking at Boudreau that seems to be true for coaches too.

It's one thing to look at rookies like Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander and Podkolzin who all played their best hockey right out of the gate here and either didn't recover it or took years to hit the level they started at. You can blame that on rookie luck. Or middle six players like Pearson you can just say it's streaky luck that his first half season here was also his best performance. Roussel got a nasty injury, just bad luck that his first half season here was his best hockey.

But at some point you have to look at the enormous number of players that come here and almost immediately regress and wonder if maybe instead of just bad luck and it wasn't just Benning or Green or Boudreau. The entire thing is rotten head to toe.

if you are wondering why players drop off here i think you need to consider the fans and media here have an impact on player outlook. we have too many overly invested fans with no other major sports to distract, and the cap. media and social media has made fans generally more ruthless and unpleasant about players, often without the player doing anything wrong. for example, oel came here last year and had a decent year. before the cap he'd have won the fans over and could have built on that. because of the cap and a ruthless fan outlook he was hated regardless of his performance. if you assume he reads social media (let alone this site) how could he not be mentally affected by playing for a fan base that he clearly will never win over? if i was oel i would not give a single f*** about canuck fans. why should he?

i believe the oilers have the worst fans in the league right now followed by us, although i am sure the leafs would sweep by us if their team was losing.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
i believe the oilers have the worst fans in the league right now followed by us, although i am sure the leafs would sweep by us if their team was losing.
Leaf fans, well they get excited because the team makes the playoffs every year but have a problem getting past the top teams in the east.

Vancouver might have the most intense fan base right now but for 6 or 7 years most were lambs being led to the slaughter.

Forgot I heard OEL broke his leg at the WC last year, might explain the cliff dive.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Edler was a gigantic warning siren that something was fatally wrong here. I think another one is Garland.

Garland had 150 games of 1st line production until he got beaten down by this franchise 1/3 into his first season here and he never recovered. This is not the player he was in Arizona or his first batch of games here and at this point it seems unreasonable to blame it all on coaching. And it's really weird how he was down on himself in summer talking about having had a slump year when the season he put up was worth 8 mil and he makes 5.

And he's not an exception. It's the rule and not the exception that the first half season here is every players best performance regardless of tenure. And looking at Boudreau that seems to be true for coaches too.

It's one thing to look at rookies like Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander and Podkolzin who all played their best hockey right out of the gate here and either didn't recover it or took years to hit the level they started at. You can blame that on rookie luck. Or middle six players like Pearson you can just say it's streaky luck that his first half season here was also his best performance. Roussel got a nasty injury, just bad luck that his first half season here was his best hockey.

But at some point you have to look at the enormous number of players that come here and almost immediately regress and wonder if maybe instead of just bad luck and it wasn't just Benning or Green or Boudreau. The entire thing is rotten head to toe.
Garland is the prime example of a talented player putting up numbers on a shit team that is not focused on winning.

He’s a budget Gaudreau that doesn’t offer you anything if he is not scoring. If you put him on the 1st line and with pp1, you will get more points but not enough for the team to get anywhere.

Reactions: racerjoe and quat

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
if you are wondering why players drop off here i think you need to consider the fans and media here have an impact on player outlook. we have too many overly invested fans with no other major sports to distract, and the cap. media and social media has made fans generally more ruthless and unpleasant about players, often without the player doing anything wrong. for example, oel came here last year and had a decent year. before the cap he'd have won the fans over and could have built on that. because of the cap and a ruthless fan outlook he was hated regardless of his performance. if you assume he reads social media (let alone this site) how could he not be mentally affected by playing for a fan base that he clearly will never win over? if i was oel i would not give a single f*** about canuck fans. why should he?

This is a bit tongue in cheek right? Like maybe hockey players are more sensitive than athletes in other major sports? How did Argentina get themselves off the field when France tied them- knowing their rabid soccer fans were toxicly waiting for them to fail? How does anyone play for the Eagles or Flyers or any Philly team?

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

I would say OEL needs to do some research before he makes Vancouver and Boston his two teams he'd waive an NMC for if he's that sensitive about fan reactions...I mean its pretty well documented that these fan bases are pretty rabid...or he could just play better?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Garland is the prime example of a talented player putting up numbers on a shit team that is not focused on winning.

He’s a budget Gaudreau that doesn’t offer you anything if he is not scoring. If you put him on the 1st line and with pp1, you will get more points but not enough for the team to get anywhere.
I don't think many people here watched Garland before the trade and looked at his ES numbers, which were impressive considering who he was playing with. He's a decent complimentary 2nd line forward. I've never seen him have a stretch of games where he makes the other team plan for him in any way.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I don't think many people here watched Garland before the trade and looked at his ES numbers, which were impressive considering who he was playing with. He's a decent complimentary 2nd line forward. I've never seen him have a stretch of games where he makes the other team plan for him in any way.
He's an irrelevant, bad team scorer. Never contributes to a good possession, constantly shooting from poor angles to 'surprise' the goalie, but it's not a surprise if it's all you ever do when the puck comes near you. I'm done with him and hope he's gone soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan