Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am frustrated with Sogaard, TBH. I get that he is here ahead of schedule and got put in a tough situation, but his NHL save percentage this season is .891 with a GAA of 3.24. Those numbers are...not good. His greatest quality seems to be that he is 6'7", but he plays so much smaller than that. In both Leaf games at home in March we played well enough to win, but just weren't getting the saves we needed when we needed them. I get that he has battled injuries all year and I'm not advocating giving up on him at age 22, but at the same time I don't quite understand the rush to crown him as "goalie of the future". To me, Meralainen is the guy who should have that title...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I am frustrated with Sogaard, TBH. I get that he is here ahead of schedule and got put in a tough situation, but his NHL save percentage this season is .891 with a GAA of 3.24. Those numbers are...not good. His greatest quality seems to be that he is 6'7", but he plays so much smaller than that. In both Leaf games at home in March we played well enough to win, but just weren't getting the saves we needed when we needed them. I get that he has battled injuries all year and I'm not advocating giving up on him at age 22, but at the same time I don't quite understand the rush to crown him as "goalie of the future". To me, Meralainen is the guy who should have that title...

What I find interesting is that he has 7 starts above .920 sv% and 8 starts below .880 sv%. Nothing in between. What's happening in front of him certainly has a lot to do with that but it screams inconsistency and not so much a lack of ability. A lack of consistency is common among young goaltenders and it may hold him back but I wouldn't rule out him overcoming it. I like what I've seen from him but there's work to still be done.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm taking the approach that either of them could be the goalie of the future, but we need to properly develop them. Give them the best fighting chance to develop into NHL goaltenders. Don't give up on them after <30 games. Make sure we can get a coach that can get the whole team to commit to backchecking properly and become a team that isn't top 10 in give aways per game, isn't #2 in penalties per game, middle of the pack for shots against, etc...

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
What I find interesting is that he has 7 starts above .920 sv% and 8 starts below .880 sv%. Nothing in between. What's happening in front of him certainly has a lot to do with that but it screams inconsistency and not so much a lack of ability. A lack of consistency is common among young goaltenders and it may hold him back but I wouldn't rule out him overcoming it. I like what I've seen from him but there's work to still be done.

He’s been playing through both illness and injury so I would think that has something to do with that inconsistency.

I believe he’s had the flu at least once and a right lower body injury that has nagged more or less all season.

He’s massive and has great fundamentals. I have been concerned at times he has struggled to read the plays and find the puck - like he’s a half second behind everything.

Overall his performance has been valiant considering the circumstances.

Reactions: Korpse

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I believe he’s had the flu at least once and a right lower body injury that has nagged more or less all season.
This I believe fully. Sogaard was just coming off injury in Belleville, and had just played in his first couple of games back when he got called up in February. The entire reason why Mandolese got that start on Long Island was because they were very reluctant to play Sogaard on a back to back - normally you'd figure that a 22 year old goalie would be good to go for that, but they were clearly managing his workload, and more to the point managing a chronic injury. When post-season Confession Day comes the day after the season ends, and the GM finally comes clean on all the injuries, I won't be the least bit shocked to hear Sogaard's name on the list. But...I still want more saves out of him, and want him playing bigger. The way he played that first Leafs home game - all hunched over, arms tight to his side - just screamed lack of confidence to me...

Reactions: aragorn

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Is it just me or is he just flat out awful? 4GA on 18 shots today. He completely fails the eye test also. He's constantly out of position flailing around in net uncoordinated. He has the uncanny ability to make every SOG look like a dangerous attempt.

Where did we go wrong here? He let's in almost 4G a game on average with a sub .900 save percentage.

Reactions: gab6511

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Is it just me or is he just flat out awful? 4GA on 18 shots today. He completely fails the eye test also. He's constantly out of position flailing around in net uncoordinated. He has the uncanny ability to make every SOG look like a dangerous attempt.

Where did we go wrong here? He let's in almost 4G a game on average with a sub .900 save percentage.
I'm not feeling the goalie of the future vibes with him either. I know he's young, but I still think a goalie of the future would perform better at this point in comparison to what we've seen.

I hope I'm wrong lol

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He's had two three game streaks with above .930 save percentages but has looked awful recently and just doesn't give off the right vibes so far. Allowing 3+ goals in situations where he hasn't even face 20 shots.

He hasn't played even 20 games yet, but still, so far underwhelming

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
you guys give up on players too quick. Goalies don't mature typically till mid-late twenties.

Sens absolutely need to upgrade Forsberg for a Demko/Saros/Hart/Gibson and keep Soogard sheltered as a back up next year.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He has no business being in the NHL right now, and he's only here because of a calamitous series of injuries. He wasn't even having a good year in Belleville before being recalled.

Under no circumstances is it acceptable for him to be part of the goalie tandem next season. Needs 2 more years in the AHL.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He's a really big kid who has a long developmental curve ahead of him.

He has the potential to be an NHLer one day, but he has a lot of work ahead of him. I wouldn't write him off so soon.

And honestly, the style this team plays with almost no support from the forwards really doesn't help our netminders. Especially young guys. It's somethign we have to fix if we ever want to make the playoffs.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
He needs more time. Has only played 63 AHL games in the last 3 years.

Should get the Bishop treatment. At least 1 more year in the AHL.
This I agree with. I just don't think he should have the "goalie of the future" label based on what I've seen thus far.

The potential is too unknown to give him that label. He could be something with further development, or not. We'll hold on to him with patience and find out.

I hope the goaltending (and coaching :P) situation is addressed in the offseason.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We can't be judging our young goalies at this point and certainly not writing them off.

Sogaard has had a rough few seasons of development and as expected is having highs and even more lows.

Terrible situation in front of a poor and now devastated D corps. This run should be nothing more than some cash in the pocket and a learning curve for both these kids.

Personally, I didn't get having Leevi play 2 in a row but none of these games mean anything regarding the future.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Great start to the season for Sogaard.

Pretty sure he's waiver-eligible starting next year and since we have both Forsberg and Korpisalo under contract, it's important for him to prove himself as one of the top goalies in the AHL. Force management to make room for him.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Great start to the season for Sogaard.

Pretty sure he's waiver-eligible starting next year and since we have both Forsberg and Korpisalo under contract, it's important for him to prove himself as one of the top goalies in the AHL. Force management to make room for him.

The timeline for Sogaard lines up almost perfectly with the Korpisalo and Forsberg contracts. This is almost certainly intentional.

Sogaard is waiver exempt for 2 more seasons. The only exception would be if he exceeds 39 NHL games during that period. Given the depth the Senators have in net, that would require significant bad luck with injuries.

Although things can change based on having different management, based on how the Senators have done things in the past, I would expect him to sign a 2 year six figure extension. Year 1 as a 2-way and year 2 as a 1-way. That would transition things perfectly to Forsberg leaving as a UFA, hopefully to become a starter somewhere because he played really well for us (but not better than Korpisalo), and Sogaard taking his spot as the backup or 1B.

Korpisalo would only have 2 years left when Sogaard's second contract expires. Given that Korpisalo only makes 4M, which is barely starting goalie money, the Senators would have the flexibility to sign Sogaard to whatever contract they think is strategically best. I don't think Sogaard will be a superstar who commands 6M-8M, but even if he does command that kind of money, it isn't like Korpisalo at 4M will be a major hinderance under a 90M-100M cap. Quite a few tandems currently cost 8M-10M and the cap is only 83.5M.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
The timeline for Sogaard lines up almost perfectly with the Korpisalo and Forsberg contracts. This is almost certainly intentional.

Sogaard is waiver exempt for 2 more seasons. The only exception would be if he exceeds 39 NHL games during that period. Given the depth the Senators have in net, that would require significant bad luck with injuries.

Although things can change based on having different management, based on how the Senators have done things in the past, I would expect him to sign a 2 year six figure extension. Year 1 as a 2-way and year 2 as a 1-way. That would transition things perfectly to Forsberg leaving as a UFA, hopefully to become a starter somewhere because he played really well for us (but not better than Korpisalo), and Sogaard taking his spot as the backup or 1B.

Korpisalo would only have 2 years left when Sogaard's second contract expires. Given that Korpisalo only makes 4M, which is barely starting goalie money, the Senators would have the flexibility to sign Sogaard to whatever contract they think is strategically best. I don't think Sogaard will be a superstar who commands 6M-8M, but even if he does command that kind of money, it isn't like Korpisalo at 4M will be a major hinderance under a 90M-100M cap. Quite a few tandems currently cost 8M-10M and the cap is only 83.5M.
Didn't realize that he has an extra season of waiver exemption, so that's great to hear.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1699362073469.png

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
From BG:

"Goaltender Mads Sogaard has had a nice start to the season in Belleville.
He was named the AHL’s goalie of the month after closing out October with a 3-1-0 record, a 1.73 goals-against average and a strong .944 save-percentage."

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
From BG:

"Goaltender Mads Sogaard has had a nice start to the season in Belleville.
He was named the AHL’s goalie of the month after closing out October with a 3-1-0 record, a 1.73 goals-against average and a strong .944 save-percentage."
A “strong .944”. Understatement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad