Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sogaard had a rough 2022-23 - I don't think that he was ever truly healthy most of the year, and got thrown into a bad situation at the end of the season here. Seeing him struggle badly here in March has made me wary of him, so I am happy to see him having the big bounceback year in Belleville. He may need to make a few spot starts up here sooner as opposed to later...

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Does the league allow teams to open up the roster a bit for these Euro trips? Like they do at the world juniors where teams can carry 3 goalies?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sogaard had a rough 2022-23 - I don't think that he was ever truly healthy most of the year, and got thrown into a bad situation at the end of the season here. Seeing him struggle badly here in March has made me wary of him, so I am happy to see him having the big bounceback year in Belleville. He may need to make a few spot starts up here sooner as opposed to later...

Why not give the young goalie a try. So many teams are saved by young goalies who come in with low expectations and they give the team a huge boost with wins and confident play. Happened here with Condon.

Sens need a hero in net.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I mean. He also had some spectacular games. Maybe it was only one.

The issue is his not so great play coincided with our worst play defensively of the year. We would leaving him out to dry basically every opponent possession

Reactions: LiseL

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He should start Saturday vs the Sharks….. this is where we are now….. J Martin as head coach has the Sens paying a .273 P% rate….and ZERO points in 2024….

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
WRONG move. Don't bring him into this mess

Mandolese was the right choice. No expectations for him and he's the oldest. All he could do is surprise.

Sogaard confidence could be shook again, all there is to gain

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Hope it works out. But people are thinking about reward versus risk clinging to the idea of a salvaged season & a savior. Long term perspective should guide strategy now.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hope it works out. But people are thinking about reward versus risk clinging to the idea of a salvaged season & a savior. Long term perspective should guide strategy now.
Well, to play devils advocate, part of our current problem is a team of players that have lost their confidence, while ideally they will flip a switch at the start of next season, in reality they will likely need to build it back up gradually.

This season won't likely be salvaged, but if we want this core group to be salvaged idk if tanking and drafting celebrini gets it done. They need to learn to play the game the right way, and to do that they need their efforts to be rewarded with some success otherwise they won't buy in the the message.

Reactions: Dionysus

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, to play devils advocate, part of our current problem is a team of players that have lost their confidence, while ideally they will flip a switch at the start of next season, in reality they will likely need to build it back up gradually.

This season won't likely be salvaged, but if we want this core group to be salvaged idk if tanking and drafting celebrini gets it done. They need to learn to play the game the right way, and to do that they need their efforts to be rewarded with some success otherwise they won't buy in the the message.
Just lose enough games to get into the draft lottery and draft Celebrini or another really good young prospect. If Sogaard gets shellacked, that isn't going to help the Senators cause either.

Tough situation because you want the team and players to form good habits, structure and win, yet a really good draft pick will help them long term.

I don't think the rebuild was ever done and we still need a good RD and top winger. And the best/least expensive way to get those are via the draft. Too bad we've already pissed away 3 years of selecting high in the draft. We won't get those back, but we have an opportunity now.

Like I said, I don't know the thought processes or motivation of posters here. There was the Summer or Pierre that got people pumped up thinking we were ready and needed to do something immediately, so I guess I wonder if it's not the same phenomena at work.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Do all of that and also win the lottery. Big wins all around :)

We’re due.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He is a young pro and already has NHL experience behind a bad NHL team.

He gets a few games and gets some practice time while earning an NHL paycheck as our top G prospect. No worries at all, it's part of the process.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If you out Sogaard in vs Colorado and he wins, what a boost of confidence for this crew that is looking for a goalie. If he gets shelled because Soggy does have disastrous games from time to time then that sucks for him and the team. But if he beats Colorado and then you come back with Soggy vs Winnipeg and he wins - you have found your starting goalie. If Sogaard can beat the top 2 NHL teams this week it could jolt this thing in a new direction.

You could give him the 2 Montreal games coming up in the next 5 games (one at home one on the road) so he just focuses on that team and that task - and if he looks good that’s steady progress and safe progress with the young goalie. but if he losses or looks average then that sucks.

Sens desperate for a goalie - if Sogaard is ready he could be here permanently. time to see what he’s made of

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So instead of playing Sogaard against the worst team in the NHL, when do you play him? Do you wait until Korpisalo has a crappy game, which could be sooner rather than later? Or as Tuna suggests, vs the Habs…. He’s up here, and the rookie Owner, the rookie GM have more than likely never seen him play, live, at this level….are they not supposed to evaluating the organisation and then…….waiting until the offseason to set things up for the 2024/25 season?

1705235389031.png

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
So instead of playing Sogaard against the worst team in the NHL, when do you play him? Do you wait until Korpisalo has a crappy game, which could be sooner rather than later? Or as Tuna suggests, vs the Habs…. He’s up here, and the rookie Owner, the rookie GM have more than likely never seen him play, live, at this level….are they not supposed to evaluating the organisation and then…….waiting until the offseason to set things up for the 2024/25 season?

View attachment 802919

One or both of the Montreal games I would imagine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad