Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Have to love his size if he is athletic enough but I remain on record that Joey D will be the next outright starter for us.

He is more mature and his puck handling really adds a dimension to our team we havent ever really had.

With our porous D having a goalie who can cleanly gather the puck and help with clearing the zone would be huge.

Would like to see him get some games this year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Someone said it well when they compared him to Bishop. Looked very much like him. Weak rebound and even positional play but got job done. He's still a 2-3 year project before we get a good read, imo.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
1) We have Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord and Mandolese.

2) Value of goalies is lowest of all positions.

3) Probably still available at 44

LETS TRADE UP BOYS.
A reminder that BPA is almost always a good idea, especially past the first round.

Still not saying he was a good pick (IDK) but not picking him because of any of those 4 goalies is obviously a bad reason.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
A reminder that BPA is almost always a good idea, especially past the first round.

Still not saying he was a good pick (IDK) but not picking him because of any of those 4 goalies is obviously a bad reason.

Yea I realize that as well 2 years later Sherlock lol

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Mads is still raw but he can already play in the NHL and get a win, just the tip of the iceberg. This guy has quick giant legs and mega potential (Haven't been that high on a Sens goalie since Lehner)

Hopefully Forsberg will be able to stay good beyond this season and the other guy (Gustavsson or Murray if he's ever able to come back healthy) helps buy more time for Sogaard to develop. Could be our Pekka Rinne.

This trade could have been even better if we traded Tierney in the 2019 summer like I have been blablating about ever since.

Should have kept DeMelo and Balcers instead (and trade Balcers a bit later down the road)

Thank God we had Erik Karlsson for trade, don't know where this rebuild would be going without that return.

Reactions: hn777 and Icelevel

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Draft picks are funny. Reading the comments in this thread starting from page 1 made me realize something.

You can be right about a pick, then wrong, then potentially right again, then potentially wrong all over again.

For example those who argued that Soogard was a bad pick at the time, are looking wrong at the moment because he has turned into a good prospect. However in a few years time reading back, if Soogard flops and becomes the next Hogberg, then those same people who did not like the pick at draft day can claim to have been "right all along".

Same goes for Lassi Thomson, Shane Pinto and Tyler Boucher at the moment I suppose.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Draft picks are funny. Reading the comments in this thread starting from page 1 made me realize something.

You can be right about a pick, then wrong, then potentially right again, then potentially wrong all over again.

For example those who argued that Soogard was a bad pick at the time, are looking wrong at the moment because he has turned into a good prospect. However in a few years time reading back, if Soogard flops and becomes the next Hogberg, then those same people who did not like the pick at draft day can claim to have been "right all along".

Same goes for Lassi Thomson, Shane Pinto and Tyler Boucher at the moment I suppose.

Well, it's more interesting than this though. Goalies are tricky, but in general picks aren't just pass or fail. You have to look at them as investments whose values increase and decrease over time and can be bought and sold based on their current market value. You could conceivably take a late round pick, he puts up big numbers in junior and minors, you sell high and then he busts.

Hence a prospect who increases his value from draft day is a better pick than a prospect who is a clear bust a year in, even if they both ultimately end up busting (see: Tim Boyle, maybe the worst draft pick I've ever seen by the Sens).

Reactions: Xspyrit

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Nice debut. Really pulling for this guy, would be awesome to have a 6'7" starting goalie.
A bit tall to rely on a long career imo. Can foresee problems with a big body in goal like that.
Obviously hoping for the best though.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Well, it's more interesting than this though. Goalies are tricky, but in general picks aren't just pass or fail. You have to look at them as investments whose values increase and decrease over time and can be bought and sold based on their current market value. You could conceivably take a late round pick, he puts up big numbers in junior and minors, you sell high and then he busts.

Hence a prospect who increases his value from draft day is a better pick than a prospect who is a clear bust a year in, even if they both ultimately end up busting (see: Tim Boyle, maybe the worst draft pick I've ever seen by the Sens).

I realize that, which is why I personally do not judge a prospect on draft day, however I can judge the pick itself....which I think is what happened here.

It is true that we had a ton of goalies in the system, and is true that at the time, we did not really need Soogard and it could even be argued that we still do not really need him right now if Forsberg stabilizes as the #1 and Gustavsson can back up.

Does it hurt to have a handful of good goalies in the system? Definitely not, but again, I think it should be ok to judge the selection as good or bad while still believing the player is good or bad too.

For example I could say that I disliked the Pinto pick at the time because I wanted Kaliyev who was ranked really high in the 1st round and dropped to round 2. Easy picking, but they decided to go with Pinto which at the moment looks great, and everyone can defend the pick.

But hypothetically what happens if Pinto goes on to have a worse career than Kaliyev? At that point in the future you can go back and claim that it was a bad pick.

I do like your analogy with players being like a stock that could have high value and low value at any point in their career.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
“He became only the second goaltender from Denmark to make an NHL start, following in the footsteps of Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Frederik Andersen, who began his career in Toronto.”
Bruce Garrioch Ottawa Sun Apr. 3rd 2022

Guess he forgot about the three seasons, and the 125 games he played for the Anaheim Ducks.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
“He became only the second goaltender from Denmark to make an NHL start, following in the footsteps of Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Frederik Andersen, who began his career in Toronto.”
Bruce Garrioch Ottawa Sun Apr. 3rd 2022

Guess he forgot about the three seasons, and the 125 games he played for the Anaheim Ducks.
Too busy thinking about the maple syrup he was going to put on his French toast order

After the layer of Nutella tha is

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Mads is here to burn your village

1677643248799.png

1677643558342.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad