Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Love this pick tbh. When he's turning pro we'll have 2 or 3 fewer goalies in the system and room for him at Belleville probably. If we already have a stud we can move him if necessary. But he's crazy talented and performed really well as a rookie in an adjustment year (supposedly). The contrast in results between he and Hollett is remarkable. I don't think MH was a strong team (they feasted on weak division I believe) and Mads performed very well. Goalies are funny, but this is a possible home run and well worth the gamble.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well, just like the Lassi Thomson pick, he's a guy I really like (who've I've been pimping on these boards for a chunk of the season) so in that regard I'm happy with the pick. Unlike the Thomson pick, this is a hard one I can justify reaching on. I'm happy to have added a goalie, but to take him early in the 2nd (and move another asset for) seems shot sighted. I'll have to try and separate the player from the price paid to acquire him moving forward, as I really do think this guy is the most talented goalie in the pipeline now.

I'm also really not sure why people think we have too many goalies, when 3-4 of them will be out of the organization by the time Sogaard is ready.

2019-20: (NHL) Anderson, Nilsson, (AHL) Hogberg, Gustavsson, (ECHL) Daccord, Condon, (Major Junior) Mandolese, Sogaard
2020-21: (NHL) Nilsson, Hogberg, (AHL) Gustavsson, Daccord, (ECHL) Mandolese, (Major Junior) Sogaard
2021-22: (NHL) Hogberg, Gustavsson, (AHL) Daccord, Mandolese, (ECHL) Sogaard

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Would have much preferred spending a couple late round picks on goalies like Saville, Miner, Wolf, Maier, etc.. then giving up a 2nd+3rd to draft Sogaard.

Goalies are so unpredictable. Smarter to hedge your bets than go all-in on one.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
One or both of Anderson & Condon should be gone by the end of the yr & Nilsson after his two yrs are done could also be gone. Than, if Gustavsson is able to outplay Hogberg & Daccord over the course of the next two or three yrs than Hogberg could be gone. At that point Sogaard should be in Belleville in at least two yrs when some of these other goalies could already be gone. They could draft another goalie next yr too, if they lose two at the end of this coming season.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Would have much preferred spending a couple late round picks on goalies like Saville, Miner, Wolf, Maier, etc.. then giving up a 2nd+3rd to draft Sogaard.

Goalies are so unpredictable. Smarter to hedge your bets than go all-in on one.

Sogaard, Gus, Hogberg and Daccord is not going all in on one. The more skilled goalie prospects you have, the better chance you hit a homerun on one of them. I didn't like the Sens draft but this pick I actually didn't mind.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't mind loading up on goalies. It's a numbers game and it's rare for goalies to actually develop into legit stable #1's.

Unfortunately the last time we had a solid crop of NHL goalies we ended up trading the best one.

Reactions: Variable26

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don't mind loading up on goalies. It's a numbers game and it's rare for goalies to actually develop into legit stable #1's.

Unfortunately the last time we had a solid crop of NHL goalies we ended up trading the best one.
The best ones*

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Don’t need a goalie? Draft a goalie. Lol. Trash.

We need some goalies in the pipe. It has been one of our weakest positions since the 1990s. Anderson finally came in and shored it up, but he is close to retirement... then we rely on a career backup, a possible rookie superstar, and a bunch of kids we've been developing for years now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
One or both of Anderson & Condon should be gone by the end of the yr & Nilsson after his two yrs are done could also be gone. Than, if Gustavsson is able to outplay Hogberg & Daccord over the course of the next two or three yrs than Hogberg could be gone. At that point Sogaard should be in Belleville in at least two yrs when some of these other goalies could already be gone. They could draft another goalie next yr too, if they lose two at the end of this coming season.

Feels like quite a waste. Spend so many assets and picks to bring in a ton of goalies, only to have them drop off the radar in a few years.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
People always want upside and a swing for the fences type pick .

Mads is exactly that. He has elite physical traits. A guy that huge with feet that quick is just insane.

Selecting him is the quintessential step into the batters box and taking a home run swing.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
People always want upside and a swing for the fences type pick .

Mads is exactly that. He has elite physical traits. A guy that huge with feet that quick is just insane.

Selecting him is the quintessential step into the batters box and taking a home run swing.
Every time a goalie is drafted it’s a swing for the fences.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Don’t need a goalie? Draft a goalie. Lol. Trash.

Don't need a goalie *today*

We have three of those goalies gone in two years, and the two years following will probably determine where we're at with at least two if not three of the ones behind them. And one of those may be lost to expansion.

After that what do we have? A Sogard who is settling into his pro career in Belleville and possibly ready to move up to the big club should one of the incumbents not work out.

It's actually really good that we picked an 18yo in the CHL. The timing for when we can see whether he meets potential lines up perfectly for when we have no goalies in the system (barring future moves). And every so often it's worth it to take that home run swing in the first or second round, rather than gambling on a late round pick turning into something.

Reactions: Deku

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Feels like quite a waste. Spend so many assets and picks to bring in a ton of goalies, only to have them drop off the radar in a few years.

Doesn't this happen with every organization, every year, with every player, eventually, players get old & their skills diminish, players become unaffordable, better players come along & sometimes injuries end careers. The draft is how these positions are restocked by NHL teams every year as they move on from the players that are no longer in their future. It's the business side of hockey that continues year after year behind the scenes or in front where players are assessed & decisions made on their futures, out with the old & in with the new, out with the bad & in with the better. Now I'm depressed.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
To put it another way

Current wave: Anderson, Condon, Nilsson
Next wave: Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord
Following behind those: Mandolese, Sogard

That's our entire goalie system. We could easily handle at least a couple more prospects, and probably should get a Euro or NCAA (or both) in next year's draft just to keep the system primed.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
To put it another way

Current wave: Anderson, Condon, Nilsson
Next wave: Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord
Following behind those: Mandolese, Sogard

That's our entire goalie system. We could easily handle at least a couple more prospects, and probably should get a Euro or NCAA (or both) in next year's draft just to keep the system primed.
Agreed. There is a pretty highly rated goalie (Askorov) in next yr's draft mid-ranked in the first rd that Ottawa could potentially target with their second 1st rd pick. IMO Askorov could be good value with the second 1st next yr because they also have 3 2nd rd picks in next yr's draft. He could also fall to the next rd, but he's rated at the moment around where Knight was rated in the past draft & he's supposedly considered a can't miss prospect, for what that is worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad