OT: Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

islandxtreme26

Jun 21, 2012
So, I've read a lot of what everyone had to say about what it was like in the 200s behind the bridges, so I want to add my feedback for what it was like ON the bridges.

I sat in Sec 313 and was sitting directly at the red line on the bench side. First off, the view was awesome from there and the atmosphere was great, although some of that may have just been from the "newness" and intrigue surrounding the new bridges. We were in the folding chairs that are normaly a wheelchair spot and in my opinion, that row of seats in 313WC is one of the new best seats in the house.

They allowed people to freely walk around the bridges and the balconies on each end and we were able to make a full 360-degree walk around the 10th floor in between periods with time to spare. I'm not sure if they stopped people walking around during each period, since we were focused on the game, however, even during intermission with numerous people milling around, we didn't feel like anyone was on top of us. One cool feature was the Bridge where the Media is. The booths for all the broadcasters are glass enclosed but you are able to see in and watch what they're doing... We stopped and saw Sam Rosen doing a live spot during the first intermission and it's not one way glass...before his spot, he heard us say his name and he waved and threw us a thumbs up. The media also is out in the open to grab their food and coffee and we brushed shoulders with Kenny Albert. If you've ever been to Citi Field, they have a similar window to look in and watch the scoreboard operations booth, and this was kind of the same. A cool feature.

While some people stopped to see the view on the bridges, it did not seem congested at all. It was similar to people stopping to stand behind the bar stool seats on the West Balcony the last two years. Not sure if they will always allow it, however, I thought it worked. I also don't know if it was distracting to the people sitting in the upper 200 level. If last night was any indication, you could easily buy a ticket anywhere in the building and spend more time standing at the numerous standing room areas like the bridges and balconies. We had two guys standing up behind us who didn't have tickets there but stood in that spot for the entire third period. The bathrooms and concessions are not too far of a walk, and we had the longest walk being in the middle of the bridges.

All in all, we had a blast....I know many in the upper rows of the 200 level are unhappy with the Bridge obstructing the scoreboard - they even booed a video about the renovation during a TV timeout early in the 1st period - however, I thought it was a great location for the people who will sit up there or stop by for a look. As long as the trash fans don't ruin it for the rest of us and make the Bridge folk look like jerks, i.e. three idiots who spent the entire 2nd intermission yelling jibberish from the bridge down to a fan in Section 210 or 211 and calling him Harry Potter. Those kind of idiots only made the rest of us on the Bridge look like jerks, but what can you do.

I have to say, I know I was not one who got scr*wed with tickets in the upper 200 level, and I apologize to any of you who that happened to - I'm just giving my opinion on what it was like on the Bridge - I was a fan, had a blast, and HIGHLY recommend everyone go up there to watch at least one game.

islandxtreme26

Jun 21, 2012
View from our seats in 313WC, Row 2 (folding chairs in place of handicapped seating)

odcc.jpg

View of Bridge Seating, looking right towards Sec. 314

f7ab.jpg

Up on the Bridge, looking towards Sec. 314
sv8x.jpg

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Do you know someone who sat there or is that your take from sitting there? Which row?

The back rows of that connect to the exit for my section last night. I stood behind the seats in the 2nd intermission. You see the net they shoot twice, but that near side net is blocked when standing. Might be some corner obstruction for the far side of the ice. Still, hated those seats last year. Better to not get upper bowl high corner seats. Bad chance there is a wall.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The back rows of that connect to the exit for my section last night. I stood behind the seats in the 2nd intermission. You see the net they shoot twice, but that near side net is blocked when standing. Might be some corner obstruction for the far side of the ice. Still, hated those seats last year. Better to not get upper bowl high corner seats. Bad chance there is a wall.

so then we're talking just behind row 18, around seat 24. Yeah I would definitely avoid those at all costs

islandxtreme26

Jun 21, 2012
One more thing - as far as scoreboard obstruction goes, one minor issue with sitting at center ice on the bridge...you cannot see the top ribbon of the scoreboard because the event lighting is in the way. Great view of the ice, however, it's not as much of an issue if you sit above the blue lines.

aio7.jpg

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
One more thing - as far as scoreboard obstruction goes, one minor issue with sitting at center ice on the bridge...you cannot see the top ribbon of the scoreboard because the event lighting is in the way. Great view of the ice, however, it's not as much of an issue if you sit above the blue lines.

aio7.jpg

I'm not sure if those lights are permanent. I know the past couple of years they've brought in special lights that were in the same spot as those for playoff games and nights like opening night. Hopefully they aren't there the rest of the year.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
So what is the line of demaraction for where obstruction begins be it center ice or corners?

Are the 300s and 400s obstructed?

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Yep, I don't think in the case any favoritism was at play. The Knicks added the preseason game last minute when they knew the garden would be ready. By that time the NHL regular season was already finalized.

But we all know that Hockey is a growing sport and still much smaller than Basketball, so the owners follow the money and will usually favor the Knicks in terms of priority

Oh OK...so MSG didn't originally intend the Knicks to open?

Let me ask, why the heck did we lose 113 seats while the Knicks gained 50-100 seats?
That does make me feel shafted.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Oh OK...so MSG didn't originally intend the Knicks to open?

Let me ask, why the heck did we lose 113 seats while the Knicks gained 50-100 seats?
That does make me feel shafted.

Maybe they were able to fit more court-side seats and seats behind both baskets than they used to?

The Rangers added more seats than the Knicks from 2012-13 to this year.

giacomin1

Apr 11, 2007
Central NJ
So what is the line of demaraction for where obstruction begins be it center ice or corners?

Are the 300s and 400s obstructed?

I sat in 304 (lounge club seats) on Monday and the view from row 2 is somewhat obstructed. You can only see the near goal by leaning way forward or standing up. Standing up is no issue since row 2 is the last row in the section. The seats are really comfortable and there's plenty of room to walk between rows.

niinah

Section 214
Jul 6, 2012
Valhalla
It's really tough to gauge from TV but that scoreboard is gigantic.

It is huge!
Since I was able to enjoy the game from 1st row behind the bench, I spent a lot of the time watching the "screen within the screen" (meaning the smaller screen on the inside of the giant screen) since the actual scoreboard was so big and so close.

You can see that smaller screen in the pic below.

Last edited:

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
Though I didnt sit in the upper 200s....I went there pregame and it didnt seem made at all. In the middle the scoreboard blockage is more than towards the goals, but those huge screens are plenty enough. In some areas you can see the scoreboard in row 21, in some 15 is the cutoff. Again, I was always bashing them but I dont think they are that bad.

The north bridge is where all the press boxes and media are, I said hello to Steve Zipay and walked by the press boxes and took pics of emrick and sam and joe (they have glass doors you can see right in), though security is there. They actually used the same bathroom as me (blueseats 417) in the tower and doc emrick was at the urinal right next to me and asked how much my beer was.

I never bring my beer into the bathroom. Finish it first.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
It is huge!
Since I was able to enjoy the game from 1st row behind the bench, I spent a lot of the time watching the "screen within the screen" (meaning the smaller screen on the inside of the giant screen) since the actual scoreboard was so big and so close.

You can see that smaller screen in the pic below.

Took a pic of the board when I was down by the ice for warmups too.

941476_10200680754277611_1238253626_n.jpg

Board is beautiful.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Going to be goin to MSG tomorrow. I haven't read up on it too much (i rather enjoy it all as i see the building) but from what i understand there are no 300's anymore? just some 400's, 200's and 100's? is that right?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Going to be goin to MSG tomorrow. I haven't read up on it too much (i rather enjoy it all as i see the building) but from what i understand there are no 300's anymore? just some 400's, 200's and 100's? is that right?

Lower bowl = 100's (6th floor), upper bowl = 200's (8th floor), 400's are only in the end zone behind the goal the Rangers shoot twice (9th floor), 300's = everything on the bridge level (10th floor).

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

The "300s" are the bridges and west-side balcony. If you are referring to the lay-out itself, it is entirely different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad