OT: Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
LOL.
Went to my unobstructed seats in 215 and found some media desks blocking my view of a big chunk of the ice and the goal.

Called my rep who was in the building, was very accommodating, assuring me they will work this out to provide me something else, and comped us to 108 row 1, behind Montreal bench, for the game. We were not the only disgruntled season subscribers there... but those seats made up for the opening night disappointment (including poor performance by the Rangers).

Now, I am waiting to hear what they have to offer me... too bad I went ahead and sold a bunch of games on Stuhbub and to friends & craigslisters, worrying how I am able to make up for those. Should hear back from the rep within 1-2 days, can't wait to hear what unobstructed seats they have available...

The virtual seating view and actual photo below, "somewhat" different from expected

Wow it looks like those desks are obstructing the view of quite a few seats in that section.... Completely stupid to ruin the viewing experience of so many otherwise good seats just to put a dumb media/staff desk there?

niinah

Section 214
Jul 6, 2012
Valhalla
Wow it looks like those desks are obstructing the view of quite a few seats in that section.... Completely stupid to ruin the viewing experience of so many otherwise good seats just to put a dumb media/staff desk there?

Exactly! Plus the desks looked like they were made of plywood and thrown up there at the last minute. As long as they don't block the Knicks I guess MSG doesn't care...

NYR957

Hagelin's pumped.
Jul 15, 2005
Exactly! Plus the desks looked like they were made of plywood and thrown up there at the last minute. As long as they don't block the Knicks I guess MSG doesn't care...

Nah those desks were there last two seasons actually. Not going anywhere unfortunately for you. Actually relatively permanent.

niinah

Section 214
Jul 6, 2012
Valhalla
Nah those desks were there last two seasons actually. Not going anywhere unfortunately for you. Actually relatively permanent.

I see, thanks. Then there really is no excuse for the virtual view and selling these as unobstructed seats.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Went to the game very nervous about these bridges. Was worrying that it would obstruct part of the ice. I sit in row 21 of 213. Got to my seats, no problem at all. My other concern was when I had to stand, the ice would be cut-off, but as I stood, could still see the entire ice. Could only see the bottom of the scoreboard, but I had a tv right in front of me, so I had a great look at all the replays. I did hear people behind me yelling about not being able to see the scoreboard and complaining about the bridges.

There were quite a few people walking on the bridges, but thinking that will subside. I didn't find it distracting at all.

Last season, I thought I would try to move to the last row, because I figured with the cramped leg room, in the back row I could stand if I was uncomfortable. Didn't bother as again, I was afraid the bridges would obstruct my view. After the game, walked up to the top, stood behind the last row and still had complete view of the ice.

I will post some pictures later, as I can't get on photobucket at work.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
I thought the bridges were very cool. Really well designed, classy even. I would not be surprised if other arenas start to adopt that design. I'd like to get those seats for a game or 2, but not for a full season.

I agree that the flow has improved and you really get a sense now that it is "done", whereas after the first phase, expectations were very high and it was somewhat disappointing on opening night. I guess that is just the downside of not being able to complete the entire reno in one shot. I imagine if it had gone from the old Garden to what we have now over the course on one summer if would have been an amazing opening.

Yes, the Garden was very quiet last night, but I think a lot of that can be attributed to the late opening after a dreadful road trip. So, it's not the first or second game of the season, when the minds of the fans are filled with "anything is possible". We pretty much already know what kind of team we have. Also, it's seems to have different acoustics, as well as a less enthusiastic crowd. Opening night after the LAST lockout was crazy, and we hadn't made the playoffs in 7 years!

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
LOL.
Went to my unobstructed seats in 215 and found some media desks blocking my view of a big chunk of the ice and the goal.

Called my rep who was in the building, was very accommodating, assuring me they will work this out to provide me something else, and comped us to 108 row 1, behind Montreal bench, for the game. We were not the only disgruntled season subscribers there... but those seats made up for the opening night disappointment (including poor performance by the Rangers).

Can you share any stories from your fellow season subscribers who were also disgruntled?

Now, I am waiting to hear what they have to offer me... too bad I went ahead and sold a bunch of games on Stubhub and to friends & craigslisters, worrying how I am able to make up for those. Should hear back from the rep within 1-2 days, can't wait to hear what unobstructed seats they have available...

I would wait until they figure out where to put you, then contact the buyers. The Rangers may ask for your old ticket stock back before making an exchange, or they may just cancel the barcodes outright, and then you'd be on the hook to make it right.

I was quite pleased with my new location. Went up to visit my old neighbors in 222/223 between periods. I didn't see anyone in my old seats, so I wonder if they were down there in Row 1 with you...

Cheers!
-Doug

niinah

Section 214
Jul 6, 2012
Valhalla
Can you share any stories from your fellow season subscribers who were also disgruntled?
The people next to us got their seats moved by 10 seats (I don't know how that's possible), though they had explicitly confirmed with their rep several times that this was not going to happen.

I would wait until they figure out where to put you, then contact the buyers. The Rangers may ask for your old ticket stock back before making an exchange, or they may just cancel the barcodes outright, and then you'd be on the hook to make it right.
Yes will give it a few days.. my main concern now are the games I sold for this week! I only have electronic tickets in any case, so re-issue should be easy if they find some seats for me.
"Funny" thing is, since it does not say obstructed on my tickets, Stubhub said they have no problem with the tickets and I don't have to cancel the sales. I will not do that to people who paid good money for a view of the ice though, so will figure it out somehow, hopefully I will get some seats to offer in exchange for the same price.

I was quite pleased with my new location. Went up to visit my old neighbors in 222/223 between periods. I didn't see anyone in my old seats, so I wonder if they were down there in Row 1 with you...

Cheers!
-Doug
Good to hear things went smoothly for you! :)

Last edited:

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
i moved my seats from 213 row 19 to 213 row 16 for this season due to the bridges and i have to say im pleasantly surprised about the view. the bridges aren't as bad as i thought they would be and are not a distraction at all. i miss part of the upper portion of the scoreboard, but there is a tv positioned right in my line of sight.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
How are the TVs on the bridges for those not able to see Gardenvision? How big are they? Do they show the exact same content? Do they include stats like the new Gardenvision does (granted, that didn't work last nite which was apparently a problem on the NHL's end, not MSG's)? Etc

Basically, do the TV's do a satisfactory job of replacing Gardenvision for those with an obstructed view?

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
How are the TVs on the bridges for those not able to see Gardenvision? How big are they? Do they show the exact same content? Do they include stats like the new Gardenvision does (granted, that didn't work last nite which was apparently a problem on the NHL's end, not MSG's)? Etc

Basically, do the TV's do a satisfactory job of replacing Gardenvision for those with an obstructed view?

yes, shows the feed thats on garden vision and that stats that are on the upper ribbon board on the scoreboard.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
The people next to us got their seats moved by 10 seats (I don't know how that's possible), though they had explicitly confirmed with their rep several times that this was not going to happen.

I am at a loss...

People who were comped seats next to you had their seats moved by 10 seats yet their rep said that wasn't going to happen? Then how did it happen? And where are/were their seats?

Cheers!
-Doug

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
Maybe I'm grumpy...

The new garden is beautiful but I didn't find anything I actually liked about it. The seats are smaller, hard to walk in and out of rows, the hallways are crowded, hard to walk through..

however, the abundance of bathrooms is a plus..

niinah

Section 214
Jul 6, 2012
Valhalla
I am at a loss...
People who were comped seats next to you had their seats moved by 10 seats yet their rep said that wasn't going to happen? Then how did it happen? And where are/were their seats?
I don't know the details, I am at a loss too... but they seemed pretty upset about it. (I believe the seats were somewhere at 200's but that's all I got, sorry)

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

They aren't really traditional TV's, more like smaller scoreboards. I was in Section 222, row 8, and while I had a great view of the actual scoreboard, I would look up at the bridge and a mini scoreboard was right above me. It was VERY big from where I was. Must look more 'normal' sized to someone in the upper rows of the upper bowl.

Also, they installed big speakers in the bridges that face everyone in the upper bowl so the P.A. sounds MUCH more clear and LOUD.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Tvs are big. They do a great job of making up for the obstruction of the scoreboard, but like I said in my earlier post, tv is right in front of me. They are set up every other section. 213 has one, 211 has one, but 214 and 212 does not. Not sure how they appear from an angle if your section does not have a tv.

PassShootScore

208 Row 18
May 30, 2010
Long Island
here is the view from my seats, section 208 row 18. like the bridges better then i thought i would. i can still see everything when i stand aganit the wall also

Attachments

• new seats .JPG
    new seats .JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 86

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
that's cool, so far it seems the only real bad seats are from niinah in 215 where MSG apparently forgot that a rink is wider than a basketball court and he can't see the Rangers goal.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Sat in section 310, corner bridge seats. There was only 1 exit for the row. That was the only issue. Other than that, the seats were great. If Everyone is willing to, when you stand, nobody is obstructed, meaning you can stand over the glass that is in front of you. We were in row 1, but row 2 said they were good. Got to see John Amirante as he walked through the 30th and 4th level. Saw Matt Harvey outside of MSG before the game with his girl friend. He has a brace on his pitching arm fyi. Showed him on Gardenvision.

We were very close to Slats and the scratches. So much, the only way for Sather to leave is a general exit that was blocked by security. Bet he hates the seats, he is open for anything, and with the performance last night, heard it from myself and several other people.

There is a lot of leg room and the seats give to more room. I'm a bigger guy and it was great. More room than any other seats.

The renovation is great. And the view from the bridge puts a different perspective on the game. Have to get used to being above the play though. Some pucks loom to be in other places above first, but depth perception kicks in after a couple minutes.

This is right above section 227. The last rows in 227 are the worst seats ever. If you stand, cannot see near side net. Cannot see corner sitting down. No screen to look at and garden vision is not visible. Do not buy those seats, even for an Islander fan.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
This is my view from 225 row 15. This one was taken sitting down.

1380421_10200680754837625_1032928931_n.jpg

This one was taken standing up.

1378774_10200680755117632_266478511_n.jpg

So basically I can see everything except when I stand where it gets cut off slightly which isn't a big deal at all. Like I said earlier, there was basically no one walking on the bridge during the game which was great. It's also a good thing they didn't put the LED board going across the bridge like the original renditions had because I could imagine that being extremely distracting. The boards they have now are great though they could probably use an extra one or two. After I got used to the new view, I didn't even notice the bridges after the first. All in all it's a lot better than I thought it would be though I could see why people in the last couple of rows wouldn't be happy.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
This is right above section 227. The last rows in 227 are the worst seats ever. If you stand, cannot see near side net. Cannot see corner sitting down. No screen to look at and garden vision is not visible. Do not buy those seats, even for an Islander fan.
Do you know someone who sat there or is that your take from sitting there? Which row?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad