MacKinnon at 12.5M or Draisaitl at 14M?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you rather have?

• MacKinnon

Votes: 241 87.3%
  • Draisaitl

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I feel like MacK is seriously overrated. His stats aren't that great when you look at his career with a wide lens and the team that won the cup was a powerhouse and Nate single handedly didn't win that cup. In the playoff both are similar stats wise with Nate playing slightly more games. Both are great players but mack isn't some beast thats heads and shoulders over anyone.

/rant

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
This is a dumb poll. The obvious answer is MacK at 12.6 but it's completely disingenuous to disregard that that contract was signed 2 years ago and the cap has risen since then. MacK is the better player now and likely will continue to be but it's close.

Reactions: zar

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like MacK is seriously overrated. His stats aren't that great when you look at his career with a wide lens and the team that won the cup was a powerhouse and Nate single handedly didn't win that cup. In the playoff both are similar stats wise with Nate playing slightly more games. Both are great players but mack isn't some beast thats heads and shoulders over anyone.

/rant

You could make similar arguments for Draisaitl. Inflated by being constantly put with McDavid, hasn’t proven he can carry a team. If both get overrated does that cancel it out?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
MacKinnon's deal was signed almost 2 years ago, and made him the highest paid player in the NHL at the time.

Two years from now, someone will probably sign for more than $14M per season, and we can run this poll again with them vs. Draisaitl.

I like apples and I like oranges, but that does not mean they're comparable fruits.

Reactions: Duke74 and zar

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
MacKinnon had a better season last year. Where are you getting clearing him by a tier over the last two seasons?
2023 they were neck and neck both being ~20-25 points back of Mcdavid

2024 Mackinnon was pretty substantially ahead by 30ish points

So over those two years got Mackinnon being closer to Mcdavid then Draisaitl is to Mcdavid

Looking past that they have beem pretty close from 2018 - 2022

Draisaitl had 480 pts in 367 games or a ~1.30 ppg --> 107 pts per 82

Mackinnon has 442 pts in 338 games or ~1.30 ppg --> 107 pts per 82

If you look at even before that then it gets more skwed as 2017 mackinnon was on horrific Avs team where he led with 53 pts

And 2015 and 2016 dont make much sense to include either for both guys as neither was close to what they are now back then

Saying Mack is tier ahead is likely a hyperbole. I think they are in same tier but Mackinnon is higher up in that tier after his previous season.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Draisaitl is a product of McDavid, he's useless without McDavid. MacKinnon is the real deal and would squeeze all the potential out of McDavid! MacKinnon would hook McDavid up with the best diet, supplements and a high quality waterfiltration system. He would push McDavid to train 110 %. McDavid would simply be better with MacKinnon. And MacKinnon would be way better with McDavid too!

Honestly not the most ridiculous take in this thread.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Splitting hairs with players of that caliber so I’d go with the player 1.5 million cheaper a year no matter if it was Drai or Mac

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
2023 they were neck and neck both being ~20-25 points back of Mcdavid

2024 Mackinnon was pretty substantially ahead by 30ish points

So over those two years got Mackinnon being closer to Mcdavid then Draisaitl is to Mcdavid

Looking past that they have beem pretty close from 2018 - 2022

Draisaitl had 480 pts in 367 games or a ~1.30 ppg --> 107 pts per 82

Mackinnon has 442 pts in 338 games or ~1.30 ppg --> 107 pts per 82

If you look at even before that then it gets more skwed as 2017 mackinnon was on horrific Avs team where he led with 53 pts

And 2015 and 2016 dont make much sense to include either for both guys as neither was close to what they are now back then

Saying Mack is tier ahead is likely a hyperbole. I think they are in same tier but Mackinnon is higher up in that tier after his previous season.

MacKinnon was 42 points behind McDavid in 2022-2023. 25 points behind is if we generously project out his 11 missed games (which is done for all non-Oilers players of course).

I don’t disagree with most of this. Both players have been among the same four or so players who are in a clear tier behind McDavid, for many years now. They, along with Kucherov and Matthews, have rotated in and out of #2-#5, which is why none of the four are in their own tier, since I don’t think any of them have been #2 for even two years in a row.

I can only comment on what you chose to write. It’s not something I made up.

Thinking MacKinnon for now is better based off the most recent season is fair, but a clear tier is simply wrong.

Reactions: hamzarocks

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
What a moronic thread.

We have 2 comparable players… do you want the more expensive or cheaper contract. Uh, duh.

I’m sure the people voting Drai are doing so because of (a) the thread being dumb, &/or (b) the OP is a known Oiler troll and it doesn’t deserve an honest response.

… and then you get others doubling down on stupidity…

I'd take MacKinnon at league max over Draisaitl on his last deal.
Sure you would… and for the record Drai’s “LAST deal” was $925K AAV. His CURRENT contract is $8.5m AAV. His FUTURE contract will be $14m AAV.

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
They're basically equal players so obviously you take the cheaper contract. Don't really see much of a reason for a poll here.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Wonder what the percentage of cap was at the time of each signing.

Mack 15.09% of cap when signed vs
15.91% of cap for Draisitl.

Probably Mack.

Technically the % of Cap is yet to be determined.

Mack is at 15.09%, however, we do not know next years Cap yet to compare Drai’s AAV:Cap ratio. It is rumored to be $92m, which would put Drai’s new agreement at 15.21%. Very close.

I just want to be sure that I’m only replying to you all to bring in a valid challenge to using a different AAV:Cap ratio, not to suggest Drai’s deal is better than Mack’s. Truly, I value Mack as a player a bit more than Drai. The obvious lower cap hit and the age of player at the time of expiry definitely slants the contracts in Avs’ (Mack’s) favor.

Reactions: Crow

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Seeing as they signed for around the same percentage of the cap (when the contracts were signed), I'll go with the one that signed it under a lower cap (as is always the case in situations like this).

This is a dumb thread though.

That Draisaitl percentage assumes the cap wont rise in 2025, if the cap is around 92.5 mil (which is what most expect), it will be around the same percentage.

Reactions: Crow

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Pointless thread from a Flames fan.

They’ve historically been similar levels of players the last handful of years. Mackinnon is $1.4 cheaper because he signed 2 years ago and just had a monster year where he was a clear step above Draisaitl.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Technically the % of Cap is yet to be determined.

Mack is at 15.09%, however, we do not know next years Cap yet to compare Drai’s AAV:Cap ratio. It is rumored to be $92m, which would put Drai’s new agreement at 15.21%. Very close.

I just want to be sure that I’m only replying to you all to bring in a valid challenge to using a different AAV:Cap ratio, not to suggest Drai’s deal is better than Mack’s. Truly, I value Mack as a player a bit more than Drai. The obvious lower cap hit and the age of player at the time of expiry definitely slants the contracts in Avs’ (Mack’s) favor.
That Draisaitl percentage assumes the cap wont rise in 2025, if the cap is around 92.5 mil (which is what most expect), it will be around the same percentage.
Just relaying the Puckpedia links. I'm well aware the cap for next season isn't set. Going off of what I have at the moment.

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Mackinnon is easily the better player, comes with a cheaper deal and isn't signed until 38.

It's not even close.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
How is this even a question?

Mackinnon is the better player on a cheaper deal. Even if you switched contracts you take Mackinnon over Draisaitl every day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad