Confirmed with Link: JvR signed, 1 year 900k

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
“He’s not the fastest guy in the world,” Waddell said. “He’s 35. But every year, he gets double-digit goals. That’s what we need. We need goals. I talked to (Bruins GM) Don Sweeney during the (NHL prospect challenge game on Saturday) and he had great things to say about him. You can’t find anybody who will say anything bad about him.”

One of the reasons the Blue Jackets circled back to the free-agent market this late in the offseason was, of course, the tragic death of Johnny Gaudreau and his brother, Matthew, on Aug. 29, when they were struck by an SUV while riding bicycles in New Jersey.

“He’s very aware of everything that’s happened, obviously,” Waddell said of van Riemsdyk. “We talked about it, just to make sure that he was comfortable joining out club, and he 100 percent is.”

Asked why he chose to sign van Riemsdyk to a contract, rather than a professional tryout agreement, Waddell said, “I knew there were a few teams still kicking tires on him. But I didn’t want to go that route with a chance of losing him. So I got my group together this morning, and we all agreed, let’s get him signed.”

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Good pick up and another vet to help on the ice and hopefully mitigate the risk of things going off the rails in the room if the year goes bad. Be a good guy for Voronkov to work with too for his net front play and add to what is already a good skills for him

Reactions: VT and CannonFire1

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I doubt he'll have the legs to provide much positive on-ice value at 35y/o, but at 900k/1y he is probably the best you can do at this point.

So good job Waddell, I guess

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Doesn’t move the needle but there were worse players they could have signed. Frankly I’d have rather still had Nylander but obviously things changed a lot since he was let go.

Reactions: Youngguns1380

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Happy to have him aboard. He did have a solid all-around season last year in Boston, in a sheltered offensive role.

My concern is that we still have to give those sheltered offensive minutes to our young players, it's exactly what they need too.

I think ideal with Sillinger in the line.

I'd be cautious about having our slow players together. That and Silly (and Jenner and Voronkov) also want to be that netfront guy just like JVR is.

That sort of player needs to be paired with faster skaters who can retrieve pucks.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If we decide to go ahead and throw Fantilli to the hounds and play him as a center, JVR - Fantilli - KJ might be interesting. They likely start off giving up too many chances the other way but could grow over the season. We just accept that it will be a bumpy ride but we know what the destination is.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'd be cautious about having our slow players together. That and Silly (and Jenner and Voronkov) also want to be that netfront guy just like JVR is.

That sort of player needs to be paired with faster skaters who can retrieve pucks.
Judging by the workouts and some reports, Voronkov has improved his fitness. So he could be faster.

That's just the point, it wouldn't be extra if a slow player was slowing down the line play. On the contrary, two similar players could be ideal together, especially if they are power forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad