LW Taylor Hall (2010, 1st overall, EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I haven't seen Seguin play, but I've watched a good chunk of Hall in the WJC and Mem Cup and I'll say this. If Seguin is half the player Hall is, then that's still a damn good draft pick.

Hall is explosive and downright dangerous whenever he is on the ice. I think like Duchene he can jump to the NHL because of his speed, shot and willingness to take punishment.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
You're too late. Pierre McGuire already declare that Taylor Hall was going first after he scored a goal in the World Jr.s round robin.

Has he said it only once? :laugh:

Holding my hands on my hips.:)

Edmonton is in a pressure cooker. Only due to possibly inexperience from their people.

Kaoz*

... Am i the only one that thinks Seguin fits best in Edmonton given Eberle and MPS, and Hall in Boston to replace Kessel's offensive play..

Perhaps, but like others have said Edmonton would be silly to pass on Hall. I think they'd be silly to even entertaining moving down to #2 myself, but you never know, I doubt it though.

Boston picks at #2 and takes Seguin IMO and that's A.OK with us. Easiest decision in the draft is who to take 2nd overall.

Yeah, this draft reminds me of the Lecavalier vs. Legwand draft. Legwand had a great, out-of-the-blue season, but there was never any doubt who was going first.

Jesus that was an ugly draft.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Omark, MPS, Eberle, Rajala (a few years away) and now Hall/Seguin. You actually read these boards sometimes right?

You can add Lander, Nash, Petry, Plante, Peckham, Hartikainen, Roy etc. to that but the Oilers have a minimal farm system according to that genius.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
You can add Lander, Nash, Petry, Plante, Peckham, Hartikainen, Roy etc. to that but the Oilers have a minimal farm system according to that genius.
It's not surprising that these players fly under the radar. If you're not lighting up the CHL you don't exist to some people.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's not surprising that these players fly under the radar. If you're not lighting up the CHL you don't exist to some people.

Yep, it kinda irks me when people say that the Oilers have very little beyond the big 3 when in reality, the Oilers have great prospect depth especially at the forward position.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Yep, it kinda irks me when people say that the Oilers have very little beyond the big 3 when in reality, the Oilers have great prospect depth especially at the forward position.
I'm amazed Lander doesn't get more hype. People love to base their entire opinions on the WJC but seem to ignore him. He had 5 goals in 6 games and they were big goals against the tough teams in the tournament. He gets his nose dirty and scores ugly goals, is good defensive, wins faceoffs and at 18 years old is already wearing a letter in the SEL. He's the type of guy everyone wants on their team.

...and it's not like he's a prospect that came out of no where. You can still get a quality player at 40th overall. I firmly believe that someday he will step out of the big shadow MPS is casting.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm amazed Lander doesn't get more hype. People love to base their entire opinions on the WJC but seem to ignore him. He had 5 goals in 6 games and they were big goals against the tough teams in the tournament. He gets his nose dirty and scores ugly goals, is good defensive, wins faceoffs and at 18 years old is already wearing a letter in the SEL. He's the type of guy everyone wants on their team.

...and it's not like he's a prospect that came out of no where. You can still get a quality player at 40th overall. I firmly believe that someday he will step out of the big shadow MPS is casting.

Lander was definitely one of the first guys who i think of as being largely unknown amongst non-Oiler fans... Based on what i've heard from numerous SEL fans, Lander was more noticeable than MPS on numerous occasions this past year with his overall play (and we see how good MPS is) and that's not even including his clutch play and leadership abilities, i heard Zetterberg-lite comparisons from several different SEL fans so Lander has developed into a legit prospect and when you include....

Hartkainen - improved a lot this year by most accounts
Petry - major bounce back year after he struggled a bit last year (one of the best defenseman in College Hockey)
Roy - has been great in the QMJHL (sp)
Rajala - looked good in the Memorial Cup so far
That's not even including Nash, Omark, Peckham etc.

There's plenty of depth to go around there.....
Sorry to derail the topic of the thread, carry on.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Yeah, this draft reminds me of the Lecavalier vs. Legwand draft. Legwand had a great, out-of-the-blue season, but there was never any doubt who was going first.

You could even use Tavares/Duchene as an example from last year's draft.

Both just completed their rookie seasons with decent numbers, but I think Tavares is going to pull a Stamkos next year.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't see the Messier comparison at all. Whoever said that is either very sure or on crack.

Personally I see Teemu Selanne in Hall. Both with very good speed and great shots. Competitive players as well that like to have the puck....

Clownpipe*

Legwand came out of the blue from an inferior league. Seguin was 2nd in OHL ROTY voting behind an 18 yr old Grachev. His rookie season was very impressive. After the coaching change, he got 1st line minutes and produced at an exact pace to Hall's rookie season and had a great playoffs and dominated internationally. It wasn't as impressive as Hall's 15 yr old rookie season, but Seguin is definitely legit. I don't buy the Legwand thing at all.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
Tambellini and hall had dinner together the other day according to steve kouleas from the score.... he guarentees thats where hall is going

lets just specualte it was to talk about kevin lowes #4, and if hall can wear it

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His skating stride reminds me a lot of Messier, but otherwise he's more like a bigger version of Parise with maybe a touch of Bure and Glenn Anderson as others have said.

Clownpipe*

Tambellini and hall had dinner together the other day according to steve kouleas from the score.... he guarentees thats where hall is going

lets just specualte it was to talk about kevin lowes #4, and if hall can wear it

Pretty sure he had dinner with both of them. Separately, that is.

Kaoz*

Pretty sure he had dinner with both of them. Separately, that is.

He did, he was interviewed last night during the Windsor game and said he had dinner with both recently.

When asked who he'd pick, he said he couldn't say but it was going to be an interesting pick. Personally, the only way I think he doesn't pick Hall is if Hall gives him the feeling he doesn't want to play in Edmonton... I think thats at least a few years from happening though :sarcasm:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Legwand came out of the blue from an inferior league. Seguin was 2nd in OHL ROTY voting behind an 18 yr old Grachev. His rookie season was very impressive. After the coaching change, he got 1st line minutes and produced at an exact pace to Hall's rookie season and had a great playoffs and dominated internationally. It wasn't as impressive as Hall's 15 yr old rookie season, but Seguin is definitely legit. I don't buy the Legwand thing at all.

Some would go as far as saying perhaps maybe played too many, skewing his stats. Keep in mind he's mainly on ice for offensive situations. Granted Plymouth doesn't really have the depth that Windsor has but regardless, more ice time means more opportunity for points.

Boilers*

Peter Forsberg. To a tee. Same height, same left hand shot, score from the same difficult areas in lots of traffic usually. Skip to about 1:30 to see the goals.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Peter Forsberg. To a tee. Same height, same left hand shot, score from the same difficult areas in lots of traffic usually. Skip to about 1:30 to see the goals.

Not even close. I don't see any Foppa in Hall. None, zippo, zilch.

Hall reminds me of a Gaborik, Nash, Parise hybrid.

Boilers*

Not even close. I don't see any Foppa in Hall. None, zippo, zilch.

Hall reminds me of a Gaborik, Nash, Parise hybrid.

Which combined turns into Peter. Quick question for AVSfans: "WHY THE HELL SUCH A STUPID NICKNAME LIKE FOPPA?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad