LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You are valuing Wright higher than what he has shown this year, his 200 ft. work was actually pretty weak, he avoided the boards, was soft on pucks, lacked grit, lacked dynamism and pace.

Comparing Slaf to Armia is actually pretty weak assessment of the player, I wont even comment here.
Armia was a superior prospect to Slafkovsky.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It’s the other way around, Slafkovsky is superior prospect to Armia and i watched them both a lot during their pre draft years.
Easy to say that now; hindsight is 20/20. Armia performed significantly better in Liiga at the same age.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Easy to say that now; hindsight is 20/20. Armia performed significantly better in Liiga at the same age.
Is your only argument is point totals and watching stats? How many games you saw each player at their pre draft? I would like to know your other arguments as well. Armia was viewed as extreme perimeter player who played soft and didn’t do good against tougher competition. Slafkovsky is the opposite and he was buried in the lineup because he played in pretty stacked team compared to Armia who didn’t have much competition. I’m also finnish and i don’t have horse in this race, but Slafkovsky is the superior prospect here.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Is your only argument is point totals and watching stats? How many games you saw each player at their pre draft? I would like to know your other arguments as well. Armia was viewed as extreme perimeter player who played soft and didn’t do good against tougher competition. Slafkovsky is the opposite and he was buried in the lineup because he played in pretty stacked team compared to Armia who didn’t have much competition. I’m also finnish and i don’t have horse in this race, but Slafkovsky is the superior prospect here.
“Armia is that guy who wants the puck on his stick. And when it’s on his stick, he utilizes good puck protection skills to keep it there until he’s ready to either pass the puck (which is an underrated part of his game) or deploy one of his dazzling array of shots – especially his lethal wrist shot.”

“Joel isn’t afraid dirty to go about retrieving the puck on the forecheck or back-checking. He’s also willing to go to the hard areas to utilize his dangerous goal-scoring ability.”

“‘He’s 6-foot-3 and a pure goal-scorer,’ the scout said. ‘The biggest thing with him is, he gets the puck to net.’ It’s not uncommon for the big power forward to throw six or seven shots on goal in a game and there have been double-digit totals, too.”

LOL. Explain - were you just outright lying, or is your memory a little hazy?

There are many more scouting reports too, all saying pretty much the exact opposite of what you claimed.

Reactions: SimGrindcore

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
“Armia is that guy who wants the puck on his stick. And when it’s on his stick, he utilizes good puck protection skills to keep it there until he’s ready to either pass the puck (which is an underrated part of his game) or deploy one of his dazzling array of shots – especially his lethal wrist shot.”

“Joel isn’t afraid dirty to go about retrieving the puck on the forecheck or back-checking. He’s also willing to go to the hard areas to utilize his dangerous goal-scoring ability.”

“‘He’s 6-foot-3 and a pure goal-scorer,’ the scout said. ‘The biggest thing with him is, he gets the puck to net.’ It’s not uncommon for the big power forward to throw six or seven shots on goal in a game and there have been double-digit totals, too.”

LOL. Explain - were you just outright lying, or is your memory a little hazy?

There are many more scouting reports too, all saying pretty much the exact opposite of what you claimed.
Joel Armia was really inconsistent player and played mostly on the perimeter. He was really invisible at times, but there was already signs of good backcheck/forecheck ability when he wanted to do so, that was never the question. Biggest problem was his willingness to show more effort and work hard every shift. He just floated clear majority of his shifts and most of the time he was hard to notice. These NA scouting reports on Finnish players are not best source of information, maybe today these scouting agencies do much better work. Power foward label on him at his draft year must be a joke. Armia relied on his soft hands and inredible shot. He was pure sniper with skill and size, today he is effective grinder and totally different player.

Also in your linked report:

”The other concern with Armia is consistency. Joel appears lackadaisical at times.”

Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb
"He's big and tall but surprisingly mobile for a player of his size. He has a very good feel for the game and moving the puck well with his linemates. He has a heavy wrist shot that he gets off quickly and is always looking for the empty spots on the ice. He's a sniper with a good selection of shots. You might have to look for him during some shifts, but then, suddenly, he scores the winner."

Goran Stubb is finnish and he shared similar opinion with me on the perimeter/invisible aspect.

It’s obvious that you haven’t seen much Armia pre draft if any and you’re opinion is fully based on watching stats and reading NA scouting agency reports on Finnish players.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Joel Armia was really inconsistent player and played mostly on the perimeter. He was really invisible at times, but there was already signs of good backcheck/forecheck ability when he wanted to do so. These NA scouting reports on Finnish players are not best source of information, today these scouting agencies do much better work. Power foward label on him at his draft year must be a joke. Armia relied on his soft hands and inredible shot. He was pure sniper with skill and size, today he is effective grinder and totally different player.

Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb
"He's big and tall but surprisingly mobile for a player of his size. He has a very good feel for the game and moving the puck well with his linemates. He has a heavy wrist shot that he gets off quickly and is always looking for the empty spots on the ice. He's a sniper with a good selection of shots. You might have to look for him during some shifts, but then, suddenly, he scores the winner."

Goran Stubb is finnish and he shared similar opinion with me on the perimeter/invisible aspect which is in conflict with scouting report you provided.

It’s obvious that you haven’t seen much Armia pre draft if any and you’re opinion is fully based on watching stats and reading NA scouting agency reports on Finnish players.
Lmao that guy is literally one of the people I quoted. Your link is the same quote as mine, but lacks the other reports.

None of them said anything about a perimeter game, or hinted at softness. Some of them mentioned inconsistency, which is another matter entirely, and not what you claimed initially. You are moving the goalposts now because you got caught BSing.

:laugh:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Lmao that guy is literally one of the people I quoted. Your link is the same quote as mine, but lacks the other reports.

None of them said anything about a perimeter game, or hinted at softness. Some of them mentioned inconsistency, which is another matter entirely, and not what you claimed initially. You are moving the goalposts now because you got caught BSing.

:laugh:
How perimeter player differs from a player who is hard to notice and according to Göran Stubb you have to look for him? Player who lacks effort most of the time.

There was hint for that and we all know that your linked report was constructed by several opinions. If they quote one credible guy it doesen’t make their entire report good.

I don’t have any reasons or motivation to BS. I have an opinion based on games i’ve watched. Calling Armia the superior prospect without even seeing single shift off him pre draft is pretty comical to me.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
How perimeter player differs from a player who is hard to notice and according to Göran Stubb you have to look for him? Player who lacks effort most of the time.

There was hint for that and we all know that your linked report was constructed by several opinions. If they quote one credible guy it doesen’t make their entire report good.

I don’t have any reasons or motivation to BS. I have an opinion based on games i’ve watched. Calling Armia the superior prospect without even seeing single shift off him pre draft is pretty comical to me.
Show me one report that says anything about him being soft or playing a perimeter game. Those are the words you used.

Otherwise, admit you were off base.

And cut the crap about people not having watched this or that. You have no idea who anyone online has or hasn’t watched. You are the one making erroneous claims that you can’t back up about a player, not me.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Show me one report that says anything about him being soft or playing a perimeter game. Those are the words you used.

Otherwise, admit you were off base.

And cut the crap about people not having watched this or that. You have no idea who anyone online has or hasn’t watched. You are the one making erroneous claims about a player, not me.

Here you can read real time Armia insights of other posters after his draft. He was incredibly lazy player and at times there was no effort, which is perimeter play for me. No need to nitpick about word.

I wouldn’t talk much about subject without any base.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
An insoncistent lazy player who lacks effort is a perimeter player for me without using exact word to describe him. Well i think i’m done with this debate. It’s hard to win a argument against smart people, but impossible with people like you.

Other posters can decide who they like to believe. Other Finnish posters who watched Armia in Liiga can join as well.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
An insoncistent lazy player who lacks effort is a perimeter player for me without using exact word to describe him. Well i think i’m done with this debate. It’s hard to win a argument against smart people, but impossible with people like you.

Other posters can decide who they like to believe. Other Finnish posters who watched Armia in Liiga can join as well.
You don’t just get to independently decide what words mean; we have definitions for a reason. Yes we can end the debate here because you clearly have some strange inability to admit even a trivial error or mistake in wording. Have a good night sir.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think people in general rely too much on stats as barometer. Liiga is a painful league for kids, thats a low scoring defensive minded league with alot of skating and larger rinks. Slaf went there to improve his skating first and foremost, what he did. Kids that size usually take longer to develop and reach their prime, Slaf isnt different, but what he has shown, especially at the Olympics (MVP) and at the WC is phenomenal and only the tip of the iceberg. The upside is crazy huge and his power tools are made for the NHL.

If Habs pass on this kid, they will regret it for the next 15 yrs.
What do you say about nearly every top 10 pick forward coming out of that league in recent years has had better stats than him?

I’m not saying he can’t overcome it, but your point makes little sense. It’s a distinct negative point about Slafkovsky’s season.

Maybe because he was not used in top 6 in Liiga? Coach prefered older guys
I think this is probably it, but you want to take that chance with the first or second pick? I don’t.

Reactions: le_sean

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
What do you say about nearly every top 10 pick forward coming out of that league in recent years has had better stats than him?

I’m not saying he can’t overcome it, but your point makes little sense. It’s a distinct negative point about Slafkovsky’s season.

I think this is probably it, but you want to take that chance with the first or second pick? I don’t.
I'm not overly concerned about it. Does it raise an eyebrow? Sure. I was super concerned about it before, especially weighting his Olympics, not so much any more. I think we are really talking more about half a season of really, really struggling more so than a draft year that was completely underwhelming. Truthfully, not all that different from wright in that way

He shot a pretty brutal rate for the year in liiga, and absurdly low for the first 20 games or so. His back half was nearly .5 ppg, not great, but not terrible and he had one of the most productive Liiga playoffs for a u18 in their history, I think.

He was really good on the international stage and I think he played a comparable number of games by the end of it? Not talking about a small sample anymore. Yes, his Olympics were buoyed by an unsustainable shooting percentage, but you can consider that regression from Liiga too. All comes out in the wash.

Is he a top 2 pick in a more traditional draft? I don't know, maybe not. But I don't have issues using 2 on him in this one, though I'd be fine with Nemec, jiricek or Cooley too

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

That is not the general idea of a perimeter player both in context or general usage of the term. You were caught bsing and just double downed on it. Imagine that ego.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
That is not the general idea of a perimeter player both in context or general usage of the term. You were caught bsing and just double downed on it. Imagine that ego.
Bsing is a strong word, can you describe what is perimeter player in context or in general use? What it will change about context of critizising Armia to Slafkovsky if i change word ”perimeter player” to a lazy player? Critique is still there and meaning should be understood.

Real context here was to critize Armia as an prospect, on his willingness to compete and be more involved in the game, where the actual game is played and not just floating around the rink. If this description doesen’t fit in the word ”perimeter player”, then i admit being wrong about the word, but it doesen’t change about my opinion on Armia vs Slafkovsky at their pre draft play in liiga.

Slafkovsky likes to compete hard and plays a physical game. There is major difference on the feeling of their precence on the ice. Slafkovsky is much more involved, when Armia was mostly lazy, barely noticeable and floating around. Difference is still there, but wrong wording i guess. This is the real meaning of understanding context of my post, not getting stuck on wording especially when there is a lot of international users without native ability to write english. It’s not bad thing to correct, but to fully go behind words and ignoring the real context is just proving inability of having great constructive debate.

We all know, that lazy might be even way worse adjective to describe an prospect. Armia today isn’t a lazy player, but back in the days he was. These are hockey debate forums after all. Best what other poster have brought in the convo was just the sentence of ”Armia was superior prospect to Slafkovsky.” without any context behind it. I challenged it based on my own personal opinion, which isn’t always perfect and not a professional view, but it is usually better than opinion without actual context behind it.

Last edited:

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I'm not overly concerned about it. Does it raise an eyebrow? Sure. I was super concerned about it before, especially weighting his Olympics, not so much any more. I think we are really talking more about half a season of really, really struggling more so than a draft year that was completely underwhelming. Truthfully, not all that different from wright in that way

He shot a pretty brutal rate for the year in liiga, and absurdly low for the first 20 games or so. His back half was nearly .5 ppg, not great, but not terrible and he had one of the most productive Liiga playoffs for a u18 in their history, I think.

He was really good on the international stage and I think he played a comparable number of games by the end of it? Not talking about a small sample anymore. Yes, his Olympics were buoyed by an unsustainable shooting percentage, but you can consider that regression from Liiga too. All comes out in the wash.

Is he a top 2 pick in a more traditional draft? I don't know, maybe not. But I don't have issues using 2 on him in this one, though I'd be fine with Nemec, jiricek or Cooley too
Actually, Liiga lists all shots taken in offensive zone as shots. Even ones that don't hit the net.
On Liiga website you have to select from stats box "Shots" and you can see how many shots actually hit the net.

From Liiga website:
In regular season Slafkovsky had 5 goals, 89 shots, 43 shots saved by goalie, 32 missed shots and 6 blocked shots. So the amount of shots Slafkovsky got on goal is 5 goals + 43 shots saved by goalie = 48 SOG.
5 goals divided by 48 SOG equals 10.4 shooting percentage.
Same math for playoffs and his playoff shooting percentage was 7.4.

Lastly, Slafkovsky "had one of the most productive Liiga playoffs for a u18" mostly has to with TPS going all the way to finals and Slafkovsky getting to play a lot of games. A lot of other prospects either didn't make the playoffs or were elimitated early. I watched a lot of Slafkovsky's playoff games and he was mostly invisible.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Bsing is a strong word, can you describe what is perimeter player in context or in general use? What it will change about context of critizising Armia to Slafkovsky if i change word ”perimeter player” to a lazy player? Critique is still there and meaning should be understood.

Real context here was to critize Armia as an prospect, on his willingness to compete and be more involved in the game, where the actual game is played and not just floating around the rink. If this description doesen’t fit in the word ”perimeter player”, then i admit being wrong about the word, but it doesen’t change about my opinion on Armia vs Slafkovsky at their pre draft play in liiga.

Slafkovsky likes to compete hard and plays a physical game. There is major difference on the feeling of their precence on the ice. Slafkovsky is much more involved, when Armia was mostly lazy, barely noticeable and floating around. Difference is still there, but wrong wording i guess. This is the real meaning of understanding context of my post, not getting stuck on wording especially when there is a lot of international users without native ability to write english. It’s not bad thing to correct, but to fully go behind words and ignoring the real context is just proving inability of having great constructive debate.

We all know, that lazy might be even way worse adjective to describe an prospect. Armia today isn’t a lazy player, but back in the days he was. These are hockey debate forums after all. Best what other poster have brought in the convo was just the sentence of ”Armia was superior prospect to Slafkovsky.” without any context behind it. I challenged it based on my own personal opinion, which isn’t always perfect and not a professional view, but it is usually better than opinion without actual context behind it.

Perimeter player was first coined in basketball for a player that plays outside of the free throw zone but inside the 3 point line. It was used more or less for players that favoured mid range shooting. Hockey took it to be a player also in the same mould of taking mid range shots so contextually you'd be looking at anyone that plays beyond the defensive faceoff dots but within the blue line (for obvious reasons here). This also coincides with what NHL recognizes typically as the high danger area of 20-30 ft which is inside the defensive dots which is where your 80% of goals are scored from.

While I would agree that early on Armia was really what lackidasal(sp) or lazy as referenced was, I didn't agree with the assessment that he is a perimeter player since those are two mutually exclusive things. You can be lazy and not be a perimeter player or both or neither. I still wouldn't have pegged him early on as really lazy, but he did float around alot or just wasn't engaged all the time.

I think it should be proper to acknowledge that perhaps the commonly accepted terminology you applied to Armia may not be used to properly reflect him in this case in reference to @Garbageyuk arguement.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I think its perfectly fine to describe an at times invisible/lackadaisical player or someone who isn't always engaged with the play as being a perimeter player if you are describing how they sometimes play.

This is also a dumb and unrelated conversation and everyone involved (including me) should be ashamed of themselves.

So back on topic what do people think the likelihood Juraj jumps to the pros next year?

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad