LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I see the Puljujarvi comparison more than anything. I definitely see a Puljujarvi with better balance in him, I agree that they are the best comparison style wise.
A bit of Puljujärvi vibes for me too. But the good thing is that Slafkovsky is clearly better in the areas that Pulju pretty much sucked in at the same age. Slafkovsky is clearly more intensive and aggressive and he seems to shoot more and also better quality shots than Pulju did at that age. Also Slafkovsky is in general more skilled than Pulju.

What I’m just a bit worried about is that to me it looks like they both have the similar kind of weakness with their hockey IQ. But I do think that Slafkovsky has still quite clearly better hockey IQ than Pulju. But it doesn’t still look like a real strength to me.

And no, Pulju had never good hockey IQ, not before going to North America and not after. He did always so well as a youngster, because he was so big and fast compared to his peers. He could usually have enough of time and space with his good speed for his size and also the great reach. But his hockey IQ has been always a clear weakness. He just doesn’t know how to process well enough how the game will advance and what he should do to make the best out of each situation - especially offensively when he’s without the puck.

Pulju has always been especially weak with positioning himself when he is without the puck while his team is controlling the puck. He is pretty much abysmal then. Slafkovsky seems definitely better with it, but it still looks to me that it is kind of a weaknesss even for him, but with his intensive play he might sometimes compensate with his pretty average hockey IQ.

And please, don’t take my comments wrong - I do like Slafkovsky as a talent and I do believe that he will become a clearly better player than Pulju. Just see some slight similarities between them.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The thing with Puljujärvi was that he was(is) a much better skater, which is seen as important in NHL, especially for such a big guy. He was a much better skater than Laine as well. Other than that, he actually did get praise for many of his attributes, even hockey IQ and stickhandling, even though to me both were clear weaknesses.

For the Slafkovsky comparison, Slafkovsky is probably better at everything except skating and shot velocity. But the difference in skating is pretty significant - it comes down to how highly you value that. Alex Barkov for example was not a good skater at all for his draft, and he's doing quite well. IMO skating gets overrated hard in NHL. It's a complementary skill - it makes other attributes more useful, but it can't be the only value a player brings. Even a guy like Michael Grabner had SOME strengths past his skating.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The thing with Puljujärvi was that he was(is) a much better skater, which is seen as important in NHL, especially for such a big guy. He was a much better skater than Laine as well. Other than that, he actually did get praise for many of his attributes, even hockey IQ and stickhandling, even though to me both were clear weaknesses.

For the Slafkovsky comparison, Slafkovsky is probably better at everything except skating and shot velocity. But the difference in skating is pretty significant - it comes down to how highly you value that. Alex Barkov for example was not a good skater at all for his draft, and he's doing quite well. IMO skating gets overrated hard in NHL. It's a complementary skill - it makes other attributes more useful, but it can't be the only value a player brings. Even a guy like Michael Grabner had SOME strengths past his skating.
I do in fact agree with you in most things here. Although I don’t think there is (was) as big difference with Slafkovsky’s and Pulju’s skating as you seem to think. A slight edge for Pulju, but I think you are now a bit underestimating Slavkovsky’s skating, or maybe overestimating Pulju’s skating?

I just think that both have their skating as quite clear strengths - especially for being such big guys. But as I already wrote, I think you were pretty much spot on with everything else in your post.

MBrodeur

Mar 30, 2022
IMO skating gets overrated hard in NHL. It's a complementary skill - it makes other attributes more useful, but it can't be the only value a player brings. Even a guy like Michael Grabner had SOME strengths past his skating.

Agreed. On top of that it's common for Liiga prospects to be a bit behind as far as skating goes. Guys like Aho, Rantanen and Barkov have become much better skaters since their draft year while prospects from say the SHL and CHL are a little bit closer to their prime in that aspect.

It's hard to tell if Jurajssic Slafkovsky will develop the way Rantanen did, at times he looks like he will become elite but there's a risk he won't be a consistent producer meaning he'll end up more like Anthony Mantha.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I think Slafkovsky is gonna be more like Jesse Puljujärvi and less like Mikko Rantanen.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I think people in general rely too much on stats as barometer. Liiga is a painful league for kids, thats a low scoring defensive minded league with alot of skating and larger rinks. Slaf went there to improve his skating first and foremost, what he did. Kids that size usually take longer to develop and reach their prime, Slaf isnt different, but what he has shown, especially at the Olympics (MVP) and at the WC is phenomenal and only the tip of the iceberg. The upside is crazy huge and his power tools are made for the NHL.

If Habs pass on this kid, they will regret it for the next 15 yrs.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think people in general rely too much on stats as barometer. Liiga is a painful league for kids, thats a low scoring defensive league with alot of skating and larger rinks. Slaf went there to improve his skating first and foremost, what he did. Kids that size usually take longer to develop and reach their prime, Slaf isnt different, but what he has shown, especially at the Olympics (MVP) and at the WC is phenomenal and only the tip of the iceberg. The upside is crazy huge and his power tools are made for the NHL.

If Habs pass on this kid, they will regret it for the next 15 yrs.
If the Habs pass on Wright, it will set the franchise back for a decade. Habs are taking Wright. Its a no-brainer. Low risk move that fixes the C position for a decade or so…

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If the Habs pass on Wright, it will set the franchise back for a decade. Habs are taking Wright. Its a no-brainer. Low risk move that fixes the C position for a decade or so…
Unless the Habs expend all their luck and manage to get Bedard next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Riddum

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It wont. Next draft is loaded of big talended centers. Wright is nothing exceptional.
It will. Wright is exactly the C the Habs need and a great fit. He will excel under MSL. No-brainer obvious pick. It would take a complete buffoon of a GM to pass on Wright.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022

I am not directly comparing them, but it was this kind of thinking that led to Wickenheiser over Savard...

Reactions: Ippenator

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I am not directly comparing them, but it was this kind of thinking that led to Wickenheiser over Savard...
Glad ypu are not comparing them because there is no comparison. Wright ticks all the boxes in what the Habs need. It would be idiotic not to select him. There is no other centerman in this draft that is head and shoulders above him.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
It wont. Next draft is loaded of big talended centers. Wright is nothing exceptional.
you are so wrong you are embarrassing yourself. And you said yesterday that you would stop commenting on Wright. Can't keep your word and your opinions are BS.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
We will be fine with any of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Dvorsky, Yager ect.
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Don't count your chickens until the eggs have hatched.

Sure we would be fine with Bedard. But who's to say that the Habs play themselves out of the top-10 next year?? Passing on Wright with an expectation of drafting Bedard etc. is idiotic.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Don't count your chickens until the eggs have hatched.

Sure we would be fine with Bedard. But who's to say that the Habs play themselves out of the top-10 next year?? Passing on Wright with an expectation of drafting Bedard etc. is idiotic.
At worst you sign a quality 2nd line center on the FA market or you trade for one. Only way to get a top line PF with such skills level is by drafting and they dont grow on trees. Slaf brings a pretty unique package and would be a perfect fit to Caufield.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
At worst you sign a quality 2nd line center on the FA market or you trade for one. Only way to get a top line PF with such skills level is by drafting and they dont grow on trees. Slaf brings a pretty unique package and would be a perfect fit to Caufield.
Habs have tried to sign a quality 2nd line center for the past 10 years to no avail. The C position is the place where you start a rebuild. And when there is a Shane Wright on the board you can't pass it up. The choice is obvious for the Habs. Draft Wright and solidify the C position for the next decade. Its easy to find top-6 wingers and near impossible to find top-line C's without drafting one. The C position is the most important position in hockey, followed by top-line D and goaltending. Wingers are easy to come by.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Habs have tried to sign a quality 2nd line center for the past 10 years to no avail. The C position is the place where you start a rebuild. And when there is a Shane Wright on the board you can't pass it up. The choice is obvious for the Habs. Draft Wright and solidify the C position for the next decade. Its easy to find top-6 wingers and near impossible to find top-line C's without drafting one. The C position is the most important position in hockey, followed by top-line D and goaltending. Wingers are easy to come by.
I would have agreed if Wright had actually played like a legit top line center in the making and that the gap between both players was close, but its not close at all for me, Slaf easily is BPA.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I would have agreed if Wright had actually played like a legit top line center in the making and that the gap between both players was close, but its not close at all for me, Slaf easily is BPA.
I would agree if Slaf actually put up points in Liga. But he didn't.

Wright is a legit top-line center in the making with a floor of a 2C with elite defensive ability. Slaf has a high ceiling and low floor. Habs need a C and this is a once in a decade opportunity that they can't pass on.

Wright's a safe pick to get a top-line C or at worst a 2C with elite defense. Habs are lucky to get him. Slaf has no bearing in the conversation iMO. Not when the most important piece, a centerman with 1st line potential is on the table.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Slaf turns into a Joel Armia type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad